News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Von'Ta Cadre: Project Log

Started by CoffeeGrunt, December 17, 2013, 02:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoffeeGrunt

Hmmm, I can dig around and see what I have. I have enough parts to confomrtably make three of these, which I'm quite chuffed with.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

I'm not 100% if I explained my idea right, so if you'd like I can whip up a example picture?

CoffeeGrunt

Yeah, it would be handy. To be fair, it's meant to look a little bit bolted together, really.

Narric

Parts are not to scale :P

Spoiler

Its just my opinion on how I would have done it ;)

CoffeeGrunt

I dunno, it's a bit too recognisable as a Pulse Rifle barrel, and wouldn't really add a function. (It doesn't have any aiming or guidance sensors on it.)

I may fix a Markerlight there instead, as a small aiming device, but for a Barrage weapon a unidirectional aiming device doesn't make much sense. :/

CoffeeGrunt

I've just finished a bunch of Special Weapons to scatter amongst my units. There's an element of proxying going on right now, as I've only got one of each weapon stolen from the Command Squad sprues and attached to some armless Cadians I EBay'd. One each of a Melta, Plasma, Sniper, Flamer, 'Nade Launcher and Heavy Flamer!

Tried out some barrel scorching, plus a little more delicate touches to get these done quickly and cleanly. I think some highlight work is still on the agenda, but for now they're Tabletop Ready!

Narric

The shoulder pads need a clean up :P

Nice work on the scorching.

CoffeeGrunt

Yeah, I accidentally splashed one with the wash I was using. Figured it was best to get it uploaded before I went to sleep, and tidy it up once I start the final highlight work etc.

CoffeeGrunt

Managed to get some time for my ol Blood Ravens. Stormtalons are probably my favourite model in the Space MArine range, and the only model I really think looks excellent in it. It's that twin-engine VTOL design, loved it in Halo's Falcon, the gunships in Avatar and the Aerial H-Ks in Terminator. The fact it trades out weedy propellers for beefy jet engines only makes it cooler! (Also it has the profile of a stumpy, fat pigeon, which is kinda cute.)

Just posting some pics of the basic colour scheme before I go to sleep. The black spaces on the engines will be coloured bone like the rest of the chassis. There's a few bits where I've slipped here and there, I normally tidy these as I go into the highlight phase and other fine tuning. The Techmarine pilot will also get some TLC when most of the rest of the craft is done.

Aiming to get this and my Librarian painted for a big game against a friend. He's going to field his entire Nid collection of 3.5K points, versus a desperate, temporary alliance of 2K Tau, 1K Guard, and 500pts Blood Ravens, lead by your's truly. SHould be fun, and lets me get an almost entirely painted force on the board between them!

Narric

So clean. Will you be weathering this vehicle as well?

CoffeeGrunt

Oh yeah. Haven't even finished the basic colours yet, though. Weathering will come when I do the highlighting and shading.

CoffeeGrunt

Leadership is difficult, and choosing a good leader even more so. They must be charismatic, with clear veteran status. They must command a presence and seem bold, brash and innovative. They must have a face that men can believe in, and follow unto their deaths.

This can only be accomplished by the Emperor-given gift that is, the moustache:

As soon as I saw that face on the Scion sprue, I knew my Company Commander had to have those magnificent whiskers. The original build had the Servo Skull extra from the Scions kit entwined around the staff he's holding in a suitably epic way, but said Servo Skull is incredibly fragile and thus kept snapping off. :(

Some highlight work still to be done, especially on that glorious 'stache, but I'm finished for tonight and thus he's being posted for critiques if anyone has 'em! :)

CoffeeGrunt

Update on my painting progress. Still very much all about the Guard right now. Got myself one of dem fancy new Wyverns, which has been a fun project to paint. It's coming along quite nicely, and along with the Banewolf and two Russes I ordered online, I'm comfortably at about 1500pts or so for my army now. (And so much of it is tanks!)

Here's a picture from the other day of the army as an almost whole. Had a couple of 1250pt games against my friend's Wolves. First game was a bit of a slaughter as he'd ran a 750pt Wolf Guard Deathstar that sadly did not deal well with the Executioner, (proxied by a Vanquisher here.) The next game he took a more balanced list, and the game was much closer and a lot more fun. (That Banewolf on the right flank, unpainted in black, got Stunned two turns in a row then died as his Grey Hunters were running up, foiling my plan to melt them all under its Chem Cannon!)

Still won, but there wasn't a lot left on my side when I was done. Close games are the most fun games!

Narric

How good is the Wyvern, in game? Anti-blog infantry if I remember correctly.
Am I the only one who thinks the little searchlight/spotter thing on the turret should move with the guns?

Excellent paintwork, as usual ;)

CoffeeGrunt

It's able to stack up a fair few Wounds. Against 6+ Saves it's murder, against anything else it'll stack up enough to force a couple through. So cheap, too, only 5 dead Marines to make its points back, and using Barrage you can sniper Heavy Weapons with it.

The Gunshield moves with the guns. The whole thing's on a rotating platform, very fun to assemble and paint! :D