News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Von'Ta Cadre: Project Log

Started by CoffeeGrunt, December 17, 2013, 02:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

Some great models, I really like those Sniper Drone Spotters.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

CoffeeGrunt

The Pathfinders are positioned to see like they're running forward, one of the first kits I built. They're not falling over, though, probably the camera angle.

Those Gue'vesa are just a mish-mash of weapons, though I've used them as-kitted for a silly squad-oriented game we ran based on Mordheim, but for 40K. Those random weapons came in handy. The second squad currently being painted are all equipped with Pulse Rifles, and I've painted them a more desert yellow to give the impression that they're Taronian veterans, and are thus more integrated and regimented.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

You should post up some WIP shots ^_^ Wouldn't mind seeing some "regimented" Gue'vesa ;)

Nice to hear those Gue'vesa aren't for gaming. I've had too many experiences of hobbyists and new players trying to use there pretty damn cool conversions and kit-bashes in games, but have been disheartened becuase their unit is not game-legal. It something I try and warn new players about.

CoffeeGrunt

My local's very laid back with that regard. So long as it's not ridiculously different to what it's representing, they're fine. Hence the Sentinel-Broadsides and the like.

CoffeeGrunt

Fusion Blade Shas'O:

My answer to the need to proxy Farsight in the future, or a Shas'O with a Fusion Blade. The blade itself is still setting, and will receive some TLC from a file and knife before I finalise it. Very hard to find the right balance between, 'immaterial stream of superheated particles,' and, 'coherent blade of cutty doom.'

He's also been heavily converted in line with the Crisis Suit Modernisation tutorial by Foresight. Heavily, and a little shoddily. I've plans to file and smooth off the rough edges, and use a little Liquid Green Stuff to make him less...scrappy.

Figured it'd be fun to run one of these in an all-suits Farsight list, given his stats are similar to a Space Marine's, and that he can psych out Power Fists by cutting them up first.

Missile Pod Suits:

Built due to both my inherent addiction to Crisis Suits, (in the building, playing and painting - so much fun in each!) These guys accompany O'Vorcah and the converted Support Drone to create a little Star O'Death to anything short of Power Armour or AV13/14.

Narric

I'll be honest, I don't like that dudes' take on "Modernising" Tau Battlesuits. XV8 (and indeed XV15 & 25) Customisation has been around far longer than GWs re-design, has has produced far cooler and more aesthetically pleasing suits than that tutorial seems to. Case and point: here, and to go to ATT: here.

Having said that, your suits do seem to work, as you seem to not rely so heavily on Plasticard and in fact use other Tau pieces to fill space.

I'd suggest trying not to copy others, and customise your suits to something that will look cool to you. That will result it much better looking models in my opinion ;)

Last thing I'll say is the posing of your Missile Suits seems a little off. Try imagine a person equipped with similar gear, and how they would move.(like the second link above)

All that is just my 2cents on the matter.

CoffeeGrunt

I didn't copy that tutorial so much as borrow ideas. I've been doing the leg and arm modifications for a while, I just wanted the Torso/offset Jetpacks as well to make this guy stand out on the table. The leg/arm modifications really help posing and make them feel less rigid.

The Missile Suits are posed to be leaping back, though the angle of the shot probably doesn't show that too well. The outstretched Flamer arms are to show them retreating from an oncoming enemy force while flaming them.

I'll post better pics when they're painted.

CoffeeGrunt

Taronian Veteran Gue'vesa:

These troops are drafted from elite Gue'vesa regiments on T'ros, which has evolved almost into a fully-fledged Sept since the Imperial attempt to reclaim the planet. At the behest of Shas'O R'myr, the Gu'vesa that served during that time have steadily had their equipment and training expanded to reach the level of excellence expected of a Tau Shas'la. This has allowed T'ros to stay mostly under Gue'la population and protection, but with strong economic and political ties to the Empire. Manufacturing facilities on T'ros are available for Pulse weaponry, ammo and armour, as well as other small items that aid planetary defence.

Due to its standing as a semi-independent member state of the Tau Empire, the Taronian Gue'vesa are often sought after by Water Caste envoys visiting other Gue'la worlds. Their reputation and status as a people who have benefited greatly from Tau aid makes them a useful example of the power and riches that can come to Planetary Governors also contemplating joining the Empire. Rumours even whispering that the Gue'vesa'vre who oversees the Taronian regiments has been given the honour of donning the Hero's Mantle, and has been seen bearing a Crisis Suit into battle during some campaigns. Many deride this as fantasy, but many more Gue'vesa believe it as a sign that the Tau will deliver on their promises in ways the Imperium never did.

CoffeeGrunt

Shas'O Vorcah:

Finally got Big Guy painted to a 'tabletop ready' standard. From here it's washes and highlights to tweak the appearance, plus a little smoothing. Personally I'm very chuffed with how he looks right now, excited to have him on the tabletop leading my army soon!

Found a tutorial by Tael on ATT from '07 on painting Lenses. Nice and simple, haven't quite got the shades right though, IMO.

CoffeeGrunt

Oh my, I've rendered you all speechless with this thread!

Narric

Whats to say? Your Shas'O looks pretty damn cool.

Also, i thought I had said something :P

Thantos

Looking good, could use some black lining in the recesses between the armour plates if you get times for it. :D

Noticed your fire warriors are all male though! Could use some female ones in there maybe? ;)

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

Definitely digging the Shas'O; good use of posing, and ditto what Thantos said about darker contrast fit-lines to really make it pop.

I like the fusion-plasma suit pose as well, but I'm curious about the Fusion Blaster pointed somewhat downward; like he's trying to melt someone standing about ten feet away?
[Bender]I'm back baby![/Bender]

Masked Thespian

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 16, 2014, 09:39:18 AM
Oh my, I've rendered you all speechless with this thread!

Hey there, CoffeeGrunt.  It's nice to see a new face around here.  Though, I suppose you could say the same thing about me, seeing as I've been AWOL for around eight-to-ten months.

I'm just going to point out that usually self-bumping your posts is frowned upon at Second Sphere.  Especially in the Project Logs area when you're doing it just to try and get people to comment.  Right now we don't have all many people coming to the site so traffic in all areas is going to be a bit low, but that doesn't really justify a bump.

If you'd posted a new part of your admittedly awesome looking Tau then there would be no problems at all.  Unfortunately, that's the way of Project Logs sometimes; sometimes people don't respond.  You're not in any trouble or anything; I'm just asking that you try not to self-bump your threads in the future, please.

Keep up the good work; that's some nice looking Tau you've got there   ;)
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

CoffeeGrunt

@Thantos

I don't know of any femme Guard kits, though. Not any that are available in plastic. Have to admit, it'd be great for diversity! I've been practicing panel line work on the Shas'O, I'll post results when he's complete!

QuoteI like the fusion-plasma suit pose as well, but I'm curious about the Fusion Blaster pointed somewhat downward; like he's trying to melt someone standing about ten feet away?

Not sure which suit you're referring to, the one made to mimic Farsight? If so, his Fusion Blasters are projecting a blade, and he's charging in shield-first.

@Thespian

Sorry for the bump, just was looking for some feedback as I never got any on ATT either. Was worried I'd painted up some atrocities!

Anyway, some more Pathfinders graduate the Academy! They still need a little detail, highlighting and lens magic. I've tried to do better with my washes and paint in panel lines in order to define details a lot more. Lenses still elude me, though, one to practice!