News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Help understanding cover

Started by Waaaghpower, December 25, 2013, 07:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

This probably has a rulebook citation, I just can't find it.
Let's say I've got some guys firing from behind an Aegis line. As far as I can tell, RAW, all enemies on the other side of the line get cover. I know that's not how it works, but I can't find where the rulebook explains the rule. This brings up other questions:
How close do you have to be to the line to fire over it without granting cover to your enemies?
What if some models in a squad are close enough, but other guys aren't?
What if an enemy is right next to the line on the other side and you shoot at each other? What happens?
Help is appreciated.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Narric

According to the Fortification section, ADLs are Battlefield Debris (Defence Line). Thats +1 to GtG units in cover, plus the benefits of a Barricade or Wall.

How close do you have to be to the line to fire over it without granting cover to your enemies?
You're shooting over the cover, why would you shoot at it? I think if you're the one in cover and you're shooting at someone, they don't get a save, unless they have their own cover.

What if some models in a squad are close enough, but other guys aren't?
See previous point.
However, you would probably take the route of assigning cover saves according to pg19s little box titled "Units in Cover"

What if an enemy is right next to the line on the other side and you shoot at each other? What happens?
The logical course would be to treat the terrain as non-existant, due to the high proximity of the two units making any cover ngeligable. However, if they are within 1", I believe they're ignoring the rule that you can't have enemy units within 1" of eachother, unless they're in combat.

I've got the rulebook in front of me, and unfortunately it doesn't cover much of any of this. The best thing to do would be to play it logically, and fairly.

however, its best to look up the FAQs and Erratas, just in case GW have covered it there.

Mabbz

The aegis line is what I call LoS cover (as opposed to area terrain). It only grants cover if it obscures the LoS to the target. In short, if your model can see over it then they wont get a save. If your model is in base contact with the ADL, then the model will almost certainly be able to see over if you check your model's eye view. Basically, your model's head can see their entire model, but their model's head can't see your entire model.

More to the point, anyone trying to claim that is a jerk that needs dreadsocking. Do people still do that?

Waaaghpower

It came up because I was playing woth a line but had some guys about 4" back from the line, and he had a Daemon Prince of Nurgle right behind it. We couldn't decide if he got the save or not. (Eventually, we decided on 5+ cover as a compromise, and he then rolled double 1s.)
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

CoffeeGrunt

Remember that the cover needs to obscure at least 50% of the model. Hard for an Aegis line to do that to a hulking Daemon Prince.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

silverfuge

Thought it was 25% for a monstrous creature?
Gm is God

CoffeeGrunt

Don't remember Monstrous Creatures getting that concession. I understood that being big was the tradeoff you made - tougher, harder to kill, but with less ability to hide than others. I read up on their rules in more detail last week in order to try my Riptide out in CQC with Smash, but didn't notice any special rules for Cover there.

I'll check the rulebook when I next swing by the local store and see. IIRC, LoS-blocking cover is based on coverage, and it's the same percentage for MCs or Infantry.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

Just had a quick check. No mention of MCs getting cover when 25% obscured. That may be from last edition?

silverfuge

Possibily, thats the problems us old timers have. Remember rules but not what system/edition its from
Gm is God