News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Special/Named Character Contest 2014 [Rules]

Started by Narric, January 01, 2014, 05:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Second starting contest of 2014.

Dates:
- Entries can be submitted via a PM to Narric (Me) from January 1st until February  20th.
- Voting will take place from February 21st until February 27th.
- Winners shall be announced on February 28th.

Prizes:
Currently 1st place winners will recieve a set of lovely dice. Physical Prizes are a possibilty and shall be negotiated soon.

Along with Physical prizes, Award Seals will also be granted to the Top 3 Entrants.

And here is a picture of the Custom Second Sphere Dice up for grabs;

Rules:
- The Special Character may only be a single miniature.
- The model must be Game-legal.
- Transports do not need to be included, unless explicitly sated otherwise by Codex/Army Book/Rule Book/etc...
- Up to three pictures may be submitted for the entry. You are limited to 800 x 600 pixels for picture dimensions. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you're not used to picture editing.
- Depending on numbers, Voting may be split in Master and Novice tiers.
- All Models must be fully Painted.

CoffeeGrunt

Does the model need to have been constructed before this deadline? I have an unpainted Shas'O I'd like to submit.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

Has to be painted and fully constructed for entry. There is plenty of time if you still need to assemble and paint the dude ;)

CoffeeGrunt

Ah good. I plan to paint him, I just wondered if existing models were allowed to be entered.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 01, 2014, 08:03:03 PM
Ah good. I plan to paint him, I just wondered if existing models were allowed to be entered.
Of course they are ^_^

We're by no means telling people they have to make new purchases for each contest.

gorlak

Oooh good.

The danish ETC qualifiers is the start of february and I still need to have my HQ painted up, so great timing Narric :D

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

With no intro paragraph to the competition, it's difficult for me to work this out;

Is this a competition open only to "special characters" that are named towards the back of the army books? Or does it include any warlord-type model you "name" and provide a backstory to. Or is it similar to a character creation competition, only with a model? Just that if it is limited to Special Characters...then surely a Shas'O would have to be in the warlords contest instead. And if it's not, the warlord contest seems a bit redundant.

Not trying to nitpick everything apart, i'm just not quite on the ball with regards to what's going on, and am a bit confused :P

Quote from: Narric on January 01, 2014, 08:29:30 PM
We're by no means telling people they have to make new purchases for each contest.

I wonder if GW would kick you out of their store if they heard you mocking them like that. :P
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Narric

By "Named" I meant your Ghazgul Thrakas, Guardsman Marbos, Konrad Von Karsteins, Joan of Arcs, and Father Huscarl.

Its also a lot broader, in the sense that we have Named Characters now (in 40k at least) that don't actomatically count as your army Warlord ot Team Captain.

Quote from: Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus on January 06, 2014, 01:13:48 AM
Quote from: Narric on January 01, 2014, 08:29:30 PM

I wonder if GW would kick you out of their store if they heard you mocking them like that. :P
Le Meh
I wouldn't be much phased if they banned me from their stores. I can buy anything I want of the Inter Nettles Webstorages :P

Will's on Fire

Does named guys from a box set such as dark vengeance count, i.e. the sergeant of the marines on their own?

- Will

Narric

No, as he doesn't have any unique qualities beyond the name.

However, If the two HQ choices from the same box set do have unique special rules, than they can be enterred.

Tom

I guess another good indicator of what makes a special character is that they're unique - not only in name but in game terms so you can only ever field one of them.

I've just realised I have a suitable entry for this competition already underway. I didn't notice it until now because whilst it's a special character model I'm painting it as a "counts as" rather than the character himself.

Narric

Haven't had ANY entries for this contest. Unless three peope are holding out until the final hour, this contest will be dropped.

In future, the Warlords category will include named characters, regardless of what "Section" of the army they come from.

Tom

Well I wouldn't give up until the deadline actually passes. I normally only get my entry in on the last night. That said I know I'm not entering this one any more. My only painted special character has already been in a competition and I got distracted and didn't paint a new special character for this comp.

Perhaps in future it would be best to at least run the Warlords and Special Character competitions at different times.

Chris

I wouldn't cancel it just yet... I'm working on my entry as I type... If nothing else, the contest is an incentive to get the fella painted up!

Narric

I'm not saying I'm cancelling it now :P Just that Its currently not looking like it will be going through to voting stage, as we've had no entries yet.

I agree with Tom. I'll run the SC contest at a different time to the Warlords next time. Perhaps if we don't have enough entries this time around, I could re-run it later in the year.