News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Spam Account?

Started by Irisado, January 09, 2014, 11:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisado

http://secondsphere.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1787

Looks very suspicious to me.  If it's as spammy as it appears to be, any chance of splatting it  >:D?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Either a spam account or someone who needs a geography lesson...since when is the Bahamas part of Greece :P
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

silverfuge

Name gives it away a little
Gm is God

Cammerz

If you look through a list of accounts on this forum you'll see a huge number of them with no posts and usernames which are random strings of characters. They don't do anything and you don't even notice them. There's no need to delete them unless they actively start spamming the forum with links (which I do recall happening very occasionally but it's always stamped out promptly).

Irisado

I know about the old accounts, I've raised this previously ;).

I'm not a fan of leaving spammer accounts in place, especially if there's lot of them, as if they all suddenly start posting en masse it becomes a problem.  Also, the fact that some have links, most likely dodgy, which can be clicked on, it's not a good idea to leave them in place.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Sorck

I usually put in permanent bans on potentially dodgy accounts so they don't cause much of an issue.

I will change the permissions so that the signature can't be edited without any posts. (I'm sure I'd already done this but it never seems to work).

Irisado

Would it help to make a new membergroup for those with 0 and 1 posts to restrict their permissions to not being able to modify their profile at all?  That might solve the issue.

Sorck

Quote from: Irisado on January 10, 2014, 09:03:58 PM
Would it help to make a new membergroup for those with 0 and 1 posts to restrict their permissions to not being able to modify their profile at all?  That might solve the issue.
There already are such groups.

Ah, I've just found where the problem has come from. When our settings table catastrophically imploded it removed the setting to allow post group based permissions so we lost the permission setting.

Irisado

That would definitely explain why the permissions weren't doing what they supposed to :D.  Hopefully, no more profile modification for non-posting spammers from now on :).  Thanks Sorck.