News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Tyranids 2000pts [New Codex]

Started by Chris, January 21, 2014, 09:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 26, 2014, 12:58:17 AM
Quotebut D3+1 S6 hits on side armor aren't much.

Strength 7, so not too bad.
Since when is a Hive Tyrant S7?
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

CoffeeGrunt

Vector Strikes are S7, AP3, Ignores Cover.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Waaaghpower

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 26, 2014, 11:52:28 AM
Vector Strikes are S7, AP3, Ignores Cover.
Vector Strikes hit at the users unmodified Strength. The exception is Helldrakes, who have a special rule since they can't normally Vector Strike.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

CoffeeGrunt

The Crone has an S8 Vector Strike, though. I'll read into it next time I'm down my local...

Chris

Yup, Crone is S8 Vector strike. But that is due to a special rule...

Ok, So I will look into dropping the Swarm Lord and a 'fex(for now at least) and maybe get a Crone or two.. That should make up for some of that whilst still maintaining the anti- armour. Only issue would then be the Synapse. I'd need to keep my tyrant airborne and some how keep the birdies within his range... That could be a challenge!

I have heard in a lot of places, 'nids are very much a 'table your opponent or lose quick' army... Sounds fun as opposed to the constant attrition of SM on SM...

As for Anti-flyer, I'm not overly bothered by that.. The group I tend to play with don't use them too much, it tends to be the big shiny ground toys...

As for the discussion on venom, do you reckon it's worth putting it back on the tyrant?

CoffeeGrunt

Getting re-rolls against most targets in melee seems pretty great, IMO.

Our local Nid player is loving the new 'Dex. He's very much a swarm of fangs and teeth player, so the game is about cutting them down before they close in, which isn't easy!

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

To be honest, I'd seriously consider keeping the Swarmlord. His Warlord Trait + Dominion (Primaris psychic power) means he can regularly have a Synapse range of 24". if you're dropping a Carnifex I'd get Tyrant Guard for Swarmlord. i know you do have quite a bit of synapse already, but the sheer range of this guy, plus his other rules like +1 to reserves and having an invulnerable save in combat is very useful.

If you want to get a Crone involved I'd drop the Mawloc instead or maybe a Tervigon. The Mawloc's deep strike ability is nice, but in terms of combat capability it is fairly limited unfortunately, only WS3 as I recall.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Chris

Hmm... I can see what you mean about the Mawlok, Although to be honest, I don't really want him locked in combat.
The idea with him is to deepstrike, wipe out a considerably amount of a squad (using both template blasts if needed) then burrow again... Chances are I'll get to do that twice, I'll need to play test him at somepoint, but if nothing else, the threat of him should stop an opponant castling up on an objective...

CoffeeGrunt

Only thing I'd say about buffing the Swarmlord's Synapse like that, is that it makes him a big target that will disassemble your army when he dies.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 27, 2014, 10:57:37 PM
Only thing I'd say about buffing the Swarmlord's Synapse like that, is that it makes him a big target that will disassemble your army when he dies.
It does, which is why I suggested the Tyrant Guard, and also keeping the rest of the Synapse so that there's a considerable backup web too.

Quote from: Chris on January 27, 2014, 10:39:32 PM
Hmm... I can see what you mean about the Mawlok, Although to be honest, I don't really want him locked in combat.
The idea with him is to deepstrike, wipe out a considerably amount of a squad (using both template blasts if needed) then burrow again... Chances are I'll get to do that twice, I'll need to play test him at somepoint, but if nothing else, the threat of him should stop an opponant castling up on an objective...
The castling prevention is handy, but you can't Deep Strike and then burrow in the same turn, so your opponent could potentially sacrifice a unit to keep the Mawloc in combat, preventing you from repeating the trick. However, as you say, playtesting first is a good idea as we're working solely on theory at the minute.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Chris

So I posted this over on 40konline Tyrannid thread, they seem to reckon changing the Trygon Prime for another Mawloc. They're really rating this fella!

I'm gunna download Vassal and do some playtests as its looking like I won't be buying anything new until at least summer....