News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Heresy Legions using Chaos Space Marine Codex

Started by Narric, January 22, 2014, 09:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

This is a little bit of fun, and I know some will just want to use the official rules produced by Forge World, but not every player wants to face a a Horus Heresy army, and for some it could seem entierly broken*.

The original guidelines were created by a Wargamer by the nickname: SGT Thaddeus, and it is from his guidelines I am trying to update using the latest Chaos Codex. The is designed to be a legal army list with restrcitions to represent a Pre-heresy army (Psace Marine Lgeions). These are purely guidelines based on SGT Thaddeus' opinions, with some tweaking and changes by myself, of what a Space Marine Legion should consist of. It is also SGT Thaddeus' opinion that the Chaos Space Marine Codex suits a Pre-heresy Army. Feel free to use these restrictions as you will.

Spoiler
HQ
Legion Captain
Unit used - Chaos Lord
Adjustments:
- Aura of Dark Glory renamed to "Conversion Field"
- Sigil of Corruption renamed to "Iron Halo"
- Combat Familiar renamed to "Digital Weapons"
- May not take a Daemonic Steed, any Chaos Artefact, Mark of Chaos, Blight Grenades, Ichor Blood or Gift of Mutation

Elites
Legion Terminator Squad
Unit used - Chaos Terminators
Adjustments:
- Must take "Icon of Vengeance" and is renamed to "Legion Banner/Back Banner"
- May not take Mark of Chaos

Legion Dreadnought
Unit used - Helbrute
Adjustments:
- none

Legion Tactical Veterans - do criticize me for this name :P
Unit used - Chosen
Adjustments:
- May not take a Mark of Chaos or Gift of Mutation

Troops
Legion Tactical Squad
Unit used - Chaos Space Marines
Adjustments:

Legion Rhino
Unit used - Chaos Rhino
Adjustments:
- May not take Dirge Caster, Warpflame Gargoyles, Destroyer Blades or Daemonic Possession

Fast Attack
Legion Bike Squad
Unit used - Chaos Bikers
Adjustments:

Legion Assault Squad
Unit used - Chaos Raptors
Adjustments:

Heavy Support
Legion Devastator Squad
Unit used - Havocs
Adjustments:

Legion Predator, Vindicator, Land Raider
Unit used - Chaos Predator, Vindicator, Land Raider respectively
Adjustments:
- May not take Dirge Caster, Warpflame Gargoyles, Destroyer Blades or Daemonic Possession

Feel free to offer your own suggestions ^_^

*I've had this experience, where an "Heresy Iron Warriors" army fielded what looked like Imperial Guard (DKoK) Artillery.

The Man They Call Jayne

Surely Chaos Dreadnoughts wouldn't have Crazed anymore?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

This is mostly just what to field using the Chaos Codex. It doesn't actually change much beyond naming and limting options.

"Crazed" on Dreadnoughts could be attribute to the Dreadnought be hastily created and deployed, as to my knowledge there shouldn't have been that many Warriors of note to require Dreadnoughts. Off course that opinion is mostly born of not being that engrossed in Horus Heresy lore.

The Man They Call Jayne

Well building the Dreadnought shouldn't have anything to do with it. At this stage they are identical to loyalist Dreadnoughts. Maybe a few different weapon options and such, but other than that, they are just as old as the loyalists.

Narric

I guess for things like that it would essentially be up to the players to decide. If you notice, I have said nothing about Champion of Chaos, The Chaos Warlord Traits, and Chaos Boons, mostly due to wanting a discussion on how such systems should be played or not in regards to a Pre-heresy army.

The Man They Call Jayne

Warlord Traits, i think should be totally overhauled for a Heresy based system. Chaotic ones should be pretty selfish, just the Warlord or just him and his squad, nothing that benefits the army as a whole, showing the Warlords quest for his own glory.

Wargamer

If you want to represent Legions, especially the Loyalist ones, and you want to be true to the ACTUAL material and not the "we just want to sell models" stuff that has magically appeared out of nowhere, then all you need do is this:

1) No Librarians if post-Nikaea.
2) Only vehicles allowed are Rhinos, Land Speeders, Land Speeder Tornadoes, Predator Destructors (Autocannon + Heavy Bolter only) and Land Raiders. Whirlwinds and Vindicators are allowed if you are fighting in the Heresy itself.
3) Every squad needs to be 10 man strong.
4) Only one unit can have Jump Packs, unless you are Night Lords.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system