News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Will's Motivation/Painting Plog

Started by Will's on Fire, June 26, 2011, 03:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Thantos on June 04, 2012, 01:17:25 PM
Hope this one doesnt get eaten too! Looking great, as i mentioned before, unique style of blending - he going to have lighter brighter eyes?

Hopefully not! :P

Yeah, it would appear I haven't actually painted them... I need to do that.

Quote from: Eagle eye 1192 (Lion El'Johnson) on June 04, 2012, 01:30:45 PM
(DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS) their are quite good

Haha, thank you! :)

- Will

Will's on Fire

Update

What do you guys think?

The blending isn't something I am convinced by on the red or the white. I'm quite happy with the purple though. Also I'm going to be having some fun painting the intricate details, my fine detail brush is kinda screwed and my next brush size up is way to big. Should be fun! :P

- Will

Will's on Fire

Update:

Some more painting done.

I painted the scrolls, and started on the skin. The picture make the skin on the right (as you look at it) look a mess, so that needs some changing. Also, the face needs some work done, I just painted on the lightest coat and am going to wash backwards, because my brush isn't small enough to highlight to usual way.

I think my favourite brush might need replacing, it never had a point to start with, I just need to choose how much I want to spend on the new brush, and what type is a good brush:

:P

And my homemade Wet Palette:

Cheers for looking, comments and criticism very welcome, I want to make this the best banner I've painted.  :D

I am tempted on the back of the banner, to try and paint purple teardrops, I'm mainly saying that here because if I do I force myself to give it a go at somepoint and post some WIP shots of it. :P

- Will

Will's on Fire

Another update.

Painted the outline part of the banner. I like how it's turned out, in future I need to work on making the transitions smoother, but for my first try using another different method I like how it's come out.

Comments and criticsms welcome!

- Will

Rarity Declis

1) I really, really like your painting so far. It's gotten very good, I remember it when I first joined...

2) Your non-metallic metal is also getting very good.

3) With such wonderfully painted models, it seems such a shame that the bases look so plain. What are your plans for them?

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Lupercal Declis on June 14, 2012, 12:53:28 PM
1) I really, really like your painting so far. It's gotten very good, I remember it when I first joined...

2) Your non-metallic metal is also getting very good.

3) With such wonderfully painted models, it seems such a shame that the bases look so plain. What are your plans for them?

Yeah, a bit of an improvement. :D

Thanks!

I am intending to buy resin cast bases for all the models in this army. It's between these ones or these ones at the moment. I'm torn between the two at the moment. What do you think?

- Will

Rarity Declis

Oh, I much, much prefer the Egyptian bases. But a few of the others scattered through the army would be good, surely? So, ultimately, why not both?

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Lupercal Declis on June 14, 2012, 02:54:05 PM
Oh, I much, much prefer the Egyptian bases. But a few of the others scattered through the army would be good, surely? So, ultimately, why not both?

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the Egyptian bases. They are cheaper to buy (in total), then I think I'm going to have 3 of the raised ones for the Sanguinary Priests. Then I might get 40mm bases for Dante and The Sanguinor.

More WIP, I have done some more shading, trying to add more contrast. I've then also done some work on the NMM metal for the actual banner top.

Comments and Criticism is very welcome!

- Will

Will's on Fire

Unsurprisingly, more WIP.

This time I've finished the NMM of the bannerpoles, although a couple of bits need a bit of repainting I think, will be interesting to if you agree. I also painted in the gems on the banner, I hope you like them!

I think you can now see the banner really coming together, and I'm really happy with it. A little bit more painting and I'll have to start on the actual guy. Oh and yes, I did knock off his sword arm. :shifty:

What do you think?

- Will

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

That banner looks really really good, can't wait ti see the rest of him painted.

I've been peeking at some of your stuff since back when you were on TO, and I must admit that you're painting standard has increased dramatically over the period i've seen your stuffs! Nice work! :D

Zambia
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Rej

The gems on the banner look great, really bring the banner to together. Can't wait to see the whole model painted, it'll be fantastic.
Phew...

Will's on Fire

Cheers guys!

I'm currently still trying to finish the back of the banner, I couldn't get it to work, and have put it to one side for the moment as I'm finishing another project which I'm hoping to enter into a comp and therefore am not showing WIP pictures for. I am however taking some so I might put up a stage by stage showing how it progressed afterwards depending on whether I get round to it or not.

For now however, I have started another project. My aims for this one is to improve my blending of robes, maybe add some cool effect on the back of one of them, but that depends very much is how well it goes to whether it survives or not. I am also hoping to try out some source lighting. :D

Without further ado, some pictures:

First up, my celestial wizard.

I would've liked to have painted this guy in pieces, but I bought it second hand and it was made up. Obviously the big wad of blu tack beneath his star gazer (I like that description better than telescope. :P ) won't be there once it's fully done. I am also going to be sorting out those lollipop sticks into the bottom of the base. Also his staff is broken I have the top, and will glue it back on at some point.

Secondly my Death wizard:

One his first base:

His second gaming base:

I can see from the picture there's a mould line I need to clean up  on his hand and maybe a couple of others I missed. Again, I would like to be painting in parts but it was second hand. My plan for the first base is to have the piece of ground in front of him glowing and this will glow onto the robes, this is why on the second base there is the candles, these will hopefully glow and add light in a similar way to also look cool with this source lighting. He is transferable via a pin in his foot allowing him to be swapped between bases.

So, what do you think?

I'm hoping to get back onto my sang guard soon, whether it will be before or after these wizards I'm not sure.

- Will

Will's on Fire

I couldn't resist. After mentioning my sang guard I had to give the back of the banner another go. :P

Here is the result:

What do you guys think? (It needs some/a lot more blending I know)

- Will

Will's on Fire

Hello again for those who still read this. :P

Done some work on my lore of death empire wizard:

(I think some more work is required on the green runes, I want them to be a bit more stand out. Oh and I massively cocked up the writing so I kinda made it messy, not sure how well that works...)

And finally on the base:

What do you guys think?

- Will

Matt1785

Wow, really like the detail of the book cover and the detail on the face.  Really looks like he's focused on the book and the book wear looks really good.  Have you considered maybe putting a title onto the book?

If I had to make a small criticism it would be the inside of the book... looks very random although it could be the look that you're going for... but it seems like a finger painting.  I always like to see symbols intermittant with some regular text... but other then that I am definitely liking the look of that guy.

Banner for the Sanguinary Guard is great, really like it.  Can't wait to see the painted guy complete.  Nicely done.