News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Will's Motivation/Painting Plog

Started by Will's on Fire, June 26, 2011, 03:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will's on Fire

Okay, so I'm back with more pictures.

Celectial wizard, which I tried to make the planet look a bit like jupiter, not sure how it worked though. Went for a scheme a bit different to the typical Celestial wizard.

Now a deathwing terminator from Dark vengeance:

Now an Empire Witch Hunter with the sword attached and finished!

C & C welcomed!

- Will

The Allfather

Personally, I think you nailed it with the planet orb thingy on the wizard. Great job.

LinnScarlett

Oh, they're really nice! I don't know what else to say, other than that I want to watch you paint, so I can try and mimic from sight and add your knowledge to my own! They look great.  ;D
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Tempest Six Two

Great progress mate, I especially love the Wizard- the NMM on his staff looks the goods, and the 'Jupiter' planet is very convincing.

And I love the DW Terminator, although to be honest im still trying to process the grey-to-bone-to-white scheme. Dont get me wrong, it looks cool (and is similar to what Eavy Metal did for theirs?) its just that I have 5 DW squads painted in the old style- really dark brown for the recesses, so my brain is struggling- 'does not compute' lol.

Speaking of, just caught a glimpse of the new DA Codex and some of the minis... insane.
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Tempest Six Two on December 20, 2012, 08:57:16 PM
Speaking of, just caught a glimpse of the new DA Codex and some of the minis... insane.

There's a topic on it ghosting around the 'news' section, I believe  ;D

Thantos

Love your "high contrast" style with these minis. Can really see the progress in this ongoing log! I need to practise getting more contrast to my minis, jealous you have nailed it.

All great apart from IMO the deathwing termi looks a little too harsh with the black to bone armour. Needs a softer transition i think.

Good luck with the D+D!

Will's on Fire

Cheers guys!

I was painting them, black --> +Balor Brown (Snakebite-ish) --> Bleached Bone --> Bleached bone and white. Didn't use any greys. :P

Yep, it's the leaving the blends there that I struggle with. especially on marines. I should probably stick to applying the blends I use for  NMM to the amrour, and that would leave me with way nicer transitions. That will have to come on future marines. I'm aiming for decent tabletop standard, and so at a distant the armour looks fine. Finished the power sword a day or two ago as well. Tried a new method compared to the Sanguinary Guard, and I might carry this method back over as I like the result.

I know the sword has not come out as well as it could have done, in future when I try this effect again, I will make sure that the earlier highlights, when you start forming the shape of the lightning need to be fairly wide, so that as the highlight becomes brighter, you should still have some of the previous layer.

- Will

LinnScarlett

He looks very good, I think, though I can see that you're just like me with blending/layers and Space Marines... I always wind up lightning up about every plate and then I am like: 'hell, where's my shades aside from the recesses?'  :facepalm001:

I like how smooth and pure you managed to get the Bleached Bone - you must tell me how you did that! I've been layering on 4-5 layers now on one of my SM (over light grey primer) and it's still showing through. Bah.

You could always give him a bit more Bleached Bone/White  50:50 and 25:75 highlights. Although they might just be lost on the picture against the white background behind him. :)

Jonagon

I gave my thoughts to you already about more highlights to bring out detail, but good going and also drill the barrels.  :P

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Jonagon on December 23, 2012, 12:29:32 PM
I gave my thoughts to you already about more highlights to bring out detail, but good going and also drill the barrels.  :P

OooooOooooOOOoo I hadn't even seen that! I thought *everybody* drilled their barrels. Hehe! Chocomel didn't even let me start painting until I had diligently drilled out the models' gunbarrels. :P

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 23, 2012, 01:37:43 PM
Quote from: Jonagon on December 23, 2012, 12:29:32 PM

OooooOooooOOOoo I hadn't even seen that! I thought *everybody* drilled their barrels. Hehe! Chocomel didn't even let me start painting until I had diligently drilled out the models' gunbarrels. :P

My cunning disguise of adding two black circles to the end of the barrel didn't work then? :P

- Will

LinnScarlett

Worked on me until Jona said it, yea. :P

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Loving all your Deathwing stuff, Will! I think the only thing that could really improve it would be drilling out the barrels of the guns as Jonagon has said already.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on December 23, 2012, 03:46:43 PM
My cunning disguise of adding two black circles to the end of the barrel didn't work then? :P

It would appear that perhaps you are the only one not drilling out their barrel, hehe! Now everybody mentions it.  ;)

Will's on Fire

Yes, it's that time again, I'm back from uni so I'll be painting and taking pictures and posting them. So here goes on my progress for the term:

Full terminator squad down:

A closer look at the assault cannon:

I think I need to smooth the blend on the assault cannon a bit, but overall I'm happy with it being a tabletop standard model.

Another biker:

As always, what do you think?

Separate to the pictures, I've decided to start a deathwing army, just for the cool paint scheme, so eventually I'll be churning out more bone armour. So far I have a command squad, a deathwing knight squad and this terminator squad.

I'm still working through the Dark vengeance models, hoping to sell the chaos once I finish painting them, so far I've only got 10 cultists done, but they shouldn't take too long to finish up. The rest however will take longer.

As for my Sanguinary Guard I'm still painting them up slowly, got another about half way done at the moment, will post pictures up once the lighting improves enough for me to get good pictures that will actually look like the colours they are. I've also changed my colour palette for NMM gold again, so although this one is an improvement I feel, the next one will be using my newest method which I feel is the best so far. At least, best on small areas. I still find that the smaller areas are much easier to paint using NMM methods.

I'm also running a D&D campaign with a mate, and will soon be doing writing for my own story arc, so that's going to be exciting, I'm looking forward to my own take on a campaign storyline and generally improving my writing style.

Cheers for reading, hopefully I'll start updating fairly regularly, although uni revision will keep me bogged down!

- Will