News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Will's Motivation/Painting Plog

Started by Will's on Fire, June 26, 2011, 03:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will's on Fire

Just a quick update for this week. After exams ended, somehow the week got more stressful. ::)

Finally got the rest of the sprues, and sprayed them white.

Spent this afternoon painting over the crappy white spray in various different colours... anything that needed to end up green, with black, stuff that wanted to end up white with grey, and the metallic areas with grey.

No pictures as showing you a few pictures of some white pieces is pretty pointless, especially as the spray was so bad, that it didn't even manage to cover the pieces properly... instead it just dripped paint out of the can a lot of the time. Not the best spray I've ever used. :P

Hopefully I will get some work done and show some WIP sometime this week.

Started painting a unit of Great Weapon Dwarfs (Mantic conversions) and have got 4 in progress. Will hopefully get some pics of them as well.

- Will

feth_it_all

Well you both know I can't hope to offer you painting techniques, it's why your painting my models in the first place  ;) But I'm proud to say that I'll have that on table soon  ;D Love the paint job on the legs especially.. They look properly worn in, like a Dreadnought not quite factory fresh, ne thats gone out and stuck it's foot in some Choas scum like it was made to. So as always I'm an ignorant fan, but an appreciative one  :P

Jonagon

Nice!

How did you find the mantic models took the paint? Easy to work with?

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Jonagon on August 06, 2011, 10:14:36 AM
Nice!

How did you find the mantic models took the paint? Easy to work with?

Easy to work with as they have very few parts.

Lack of posing is a shame, and they are bigger and bulkier than GW Dawrfs, so don't blend in very well. You can't use them to bulk out a GW unit.

And thanks :)

Hopefully Kara Sloan is on the way! :)

- Will

Will's on Fire

Quote from: GreaterGoodNewZealand on September 06, 2011, 10:27:39 PM
I love this Astorath that you've done! I'm not fussed on the jump pack, but that's not your fault, that's just the way it was made. I particularly like the axe and the purity seals on the model.

I've ended up playing around with the axe, as I wasn't quite happy with the results, however, I won't be posting any new pics of it yet, not completely happy with it still...

Quote from: Tordek Dankil on September 08, 2011, 01:56:29 AM
I don't like that model. I love your paint job on it. I hate the actual sculpt.

It's not a bad sculpt, but I think the idea behind it, with the balancing on scrolls.

Anyway, some more pictures, this time close ups.

SPOT THE MISTAKES (There will probably be some that I haven't noticed)

Currently, I am doing some more work to the wings, as someone pointed out to me, they though the highlights were too wide, so I am reducing that, and trying to add some more blends.

- Will

Will's on Fire

Tried to add the lighting onto the cloak and did a bit more touching up.

What do you think of it?

I'm not sold on it, but I don't think it looks awful...

Quote from: Tordek Dankil on September 19, 2011, 01:51:17 AM
I think my biggest problem with the Astroth model is to me, it looks like a chaos character. :shrugs:

I like Hellbrecht. Looks great. Nice work on the source lighting.

Hmm, yes, all the skulls, I can see your point. I don't collect BAngels though, not my problem. :P

- Will

Will's on Fire

I've been silent for a while, but now is time for a new picture!

Unfortunately there is only one new picture thanks to rechargeable batteries messing me around again... Should get some more pictures soon.

So, here is chaplain cassius WIP:

What do you think so far? Any obvious mistakes?

As for the rest of my vow, the bikers bases are done, just need to finish this guy. :D

- Will

Jonagon

Looks good so far!

Highlights look more subtle than your previous stuff which I personally prefer. :)

Infinity_Drive

That's awesome! I love your use of washes... it just seems to hit the balance between not enough and too much :)

I_D
I made a blog! Check it out: http://ofravenandelf.blogspot.com/

Will's on Fire

I agree with you there SILK, I think he'd look much better with the new shape jump packs like on Astorath and The Sanguinor.

I do however, have a question for anyone who reads it, I have the sanguinary priest pretty much finished now, and am doing the gems. I have come across a problem. As I'm painting BAngels I would normally immediately paint all the gems red, however, as I have done this quartered scheme, the red gems just don't stand out. So my question is this, should I paint the gems on the white area red, as usual and then paint the gems on the red areas green, as that creates nice contrast, like on Astorath with the purity seals? Or should I paint them all green?

Hopefully I'll get some pictures soon, but light isn't great and it has snowed... I normally take pictures in a conservatory and the roof is covered in snow. See my problem? :P

- Will

Jonagon

Good stuff on Dante, your transitions are getting smoother with each model :)

As for gems, I'd go with one colour all over, I think splitting the colour of them would look a bit odd.

The colour to use depends what shade of red and green you've used, if it's quite a blue green and purple-red, amber might work nicely.

Scoutfox

I think the new pics are much better, as the old ones were just too dark to see any details. I especially like the highlighting on the gold.

For the gems I'd go with the green to give a contrast but to be consistant among your army.

Will's on Fire

Well, it would appear my old project log got eaten. I then posted a thread in the showcase called "Will's painting update" and that seems to have been eaten as well. So I might as well try all over again.

As most people know I'm currently working on my Sanguinary Guard army, I have 4 models done of the first full squad I'm painting. I also have Dante and a Priest painted.

So, my latest model:

What do you guys think?

Hopefully I'll update every week or so, next up will be working on a chapter banner.

- Will

Thantos

Think of it as a spring clean of the old logs?  ??? maybe ... lol

Hope this one doesnt get eaten too! Looking great, as i mentioned before, unique style of blending - he going to have lighter brighter eyes?

Eagle eye

(DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS) their are quite good