News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Lady Jenna and Lady D'ysperax vs Double Riptide Tau in "Really Desperate Allies"

Started by BigToof, February 14, 2014, 04:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Lady Jenna and Lady D'ysperax vs Double Riptide Tau in "Really Desperate Allies" (1500)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All,
No this is not a fever-bourne dream, but instead a harsh and unforgiving reality!
Lady Jenna, saviour of a band of Space Wolves and all-around-do-gooder

teamed up with

Lady D'ysperax, the sexy, scary beast that haunts the nightmares of all who see her!

How did this happen?

Well, as I'm sure you've noticed, there's no rep for the Stompa battle.

Why?

Well...  It's like this, my mate with the Hellhammer had some issues and long story short, it's on indefinite (possibly infinite) hiatus.

So, I'm stuck there with a mish-mash of Orks, a borrowed Stompa and some IG models I was working on.

A Tau player is rofl-stomping most of his challengers, and asks if I want to play just... not with the Stompa (aww...)
I don't have enough models, but a conspiracy quickly develops and I get "loaned" some IG and Lady frickin' D'ysperax!

Hoo-ha.

Wow, I mean, who can turn down that offer?

So, I go in with a hastily made hodge-podge list that at least lets me use my Void Shield Generator (which my opponent allowed), and so I boldly go where no man has (for good reason) gone before!

So, yes, enjoy this tale of fluff, shenanigans and lots and lots of brutality.  Just the way 40k is intended.

Best,
-BT

----------------------------------------

------------------
The Lists
-----------------

A Tale of Two Ladies: 56 Infantry, 6 Vehicles, 1 Fort; 11 VPs
Lady Jenna's Marauders
-Lady Jenna Mordheim (Primaris Psyker)
-Lt. Jack Hawkins (PCS w/Flamersx4) w/Chimera
-Guardsmenx30 w/Power Axesx3, Lascannonsx3
-Captain Alyssa Jax (Veterans w/Meltagunsx3)
-Vendetta
-Hellhound w/Heavy Flamer, Searchlight
-Hellhound w/Heavy Flamer, Searchlight
The Wicked Talon Kabal
-Lady D'ysperax (Archon w/Huskblade, Shadow Field, Soul Trap, CDrugs)
-Wychesx9 w/Haywire Grenades, Hekatrix w/PGL in Raider w/ESails
-Void Raven Bomber
Void Shield Generator, Shieldsx3

Tau 1500pts: 38 Infantry, 2 Vehicles, 2 MCs, 1 Fort; 10 VPs
Shas'O w/Missile Podsx2, PChip, MSS, CCN
Ethereal
Riptide w/Ion Accelerator, TL-SMS, EWO
Riptide w/Heavy Burst Cannon, TL-SMS, Velocity Tracker, EWO
Fire Warriorsx12
Fire Warriorsx12
Krootx10
Broadsidesx2 w/TL-Rail Rifles, TL-SMS, EWO
Skyray w/TL-SMS, DPod, Spines
Skyray w/TL-SMS, DPod, Spines
Ageis Defense Line w/Quadgun

--------------------------------------------

==================================
Chapter Eight: Hospitality
==================================

"I understand your position, most honoured Aun'ri, but I cannot allow you to search my ship."

Jack Hawkins, Seneschal of the Rogue Trader Anne Bonney, gripped the rail in front of him.  He looked at his Captain, Lady Jenna Mordheim.  She looked as regal as always, with her elegant dress sparkling lightly in the faint glow of the bridge's lights.  Her small face was framed by her platinum hair, swept back to one side, and her violet eyes were fixed in an unblinking stare at the alien on the holo across from them.  Jack didn't like the Tau.  As a former member of the Imperial Guard, he had plenty of reasons to hate the Xenos, but there was one additional wrinkle that made them harder to deal with, namely their resistance to psykers.  Up until he joined the Anne Bonney, Jack had always been of the opinion that Psykers were just one step away from heretics, but after meeting Lady Jenna, a powerful Primaris Psyker, he was starting to have... doubts.  He had seen her use the powers of the Warp in ways that made his hair stand on end, but the results were always productive and in some cases, life-saving.  And, he had to admit, he had gotten used to the advantage of being able to read the minds of the people they were trading with.  The sudden loss of that edge made the entire dynamic of dealing with the Tau rather tenuous indeed. 

Granted, all of this would have been more academic if the Tau hadn't ambushed them in a gunship with enough railguns to atomize them twice over.  If not for Jenna's reputation with dealing with the Tau, he was sure that the Xenos would have obliterated them long ago.  But instead, here they were. Talking.  He half-wondered which fate was better.

"Captain-Lady Jenna Mordheim of the Rogue Trader Anne Bonney," intoned the mechanically translated voice of the Ethereal.  "I do not believe that you understand the magnitude of your decision.  We are searching for a genocidal maniac who until recently was ravaging one of our worlds.  All ships passing through the area are to undergo a complete inspection.  Any failure thereof is to be met with the most strict sanctions, including destruction of the offending craft."

"Honoured Ethereal, I must protest.  Of all those present, surely you realize the importance of the discretion that..."

Jenna paused for a second in a way that made Jack sit up.  He'd seen the Captain handle negotiations like a fish swimming through water.  To lose her composure, even in the most minor of slips must mean that something...

There was a hiss from the door behind them, and Jack peered back to see a Commissar standing in the doorway, flanked by a pair of Guardsmen.  He was about to turn back, when something bashed on his danger sense with a sledgehammer.  They didn't have a Commissar.  Didn't need or want one with Jenna around.  Who would...

"Perhaps negotiations would be best done in a more direct means," continued Jenna, "Let us meet on the surface where matters can be more carefully considered."

The Ethereal paused for a moment, then nodded, closing the holocommunication.

Jenna then swiveled around with surprising speed and said to the newcomers, "I did not realize that the bridge was not on the list of restricted locations."

Jack looked at Jenna's frowning face, and that was when all of the subtle little clues clicked into place.  The new Commissar's slightly off-kilter stature and outfit.  The way the two Guardsmen were almost breaking out in hives.  And that sticky-sweet scent of perfume...

"By the Throne!"

Lady D'ysperax, Archon of the Wicked Talon Kabal, pulled the brim of her Commissar disguise up and looked at the slightly pale Jack with a Cheshire grin.

"Oh, what is it, my dear little boy, do I not look grand in this little costume?  I've always wanted to try one. Does it... excite you?"

Jack growled and was about to retort when he felt a soft touch on his arm.  Lady Jenna spoke in calm tones and Jack saw her force her frown away.

"Lady D'ysperax, I understand that the situation is... concerning.  But, I must ask for your own safety to please..."

"Safety?" laughed the Dark Eldar, "Oh, little ones, now you're the ones being droll.  The Tau are clearly looking for me, and you're all but at your wit's end for giving me up.  But you know if you do, then I and my friends with the tormentors might be rather put off.  After all, we're almost where I have to go.  Just a little more and I'll be out of your hair... for the time being."

Jack threw his Captain a concerned glance, and was only slightly disgruntled when he saw her nod in approval.  The game wasn't at it's end yet, it seemed.

"Alright, Eldar, you've got your way for now.  We're headed to the surface to handle this.  You go back to your quarters.  And take off that damned uniform."

Lady D'ysperax giggled at Jack's words and said, "Oh, darling, I thought you'd ever ask."

Before he could really do anything, Jack watched the Archon pull at two almost-invisible strings on the sides of her outfit, and the entire costume unravelled, leaving the now naked Eldar in front of him.  Jack tried to look away from her generous curves and sensuous alabaster naked skin, and to his disgust, found something primal rising up in his guts.  Something else was apparently rising up as well, as Lady D'ysperax looked at him far below eye level, nodding approvingly.

"Take... Take her back to her quarters!" sputtered Jack and the two Guardsmen in the doorway hastily made their escape with their charge in tow.

Jack sighed and looked at Jenna, who had a brooding look that hadn't really gone away since the Dark Eldar had come on board.  Clearly, she was under constant pressure, both from the threat of the Xenos and from the clear otherworldly malifience that their minds exuded.  All Jack could do was hope that the Tau would go away peacefully and then the Eldar would leave post-haste.  And with any luck, he thought to himself, they might even leave them alive.

Mission: Emperor's Will (2 objectives)
Setup: Dawn of War (Night Fight ON)
Psyker: Jenna: Iron Arm (!) and Warp Speed
Combat Drugs: Re-roll run distance (really?)
Warlord: Jenna: Night Fight (err... already on...)
Shas'O: Warlord and units within 12" have move through cover

Pre-Game Thoughts: Wow, his list is hella shooty and scary on many, many levels.  Lots of interceptor, ignoring cover nonsense and sadly more than enough skyfire to handle anything that I have.  I honestly don't know how much of a chance I have.  Thankfully, I have on my side absolutely ZERO experience with my hastily thrown together list of mostly borrowed models and a Void Shield Generator that may be full of epic win or errr... fail.  At least my opponent doesn't have a clue as to what I can do (but well... neither do I!)  Still, I have a Vendetta (my first ever!) and the somewhat ferocious Guard blob that will... melt lke butter under the weight of his million-billion SMS shots...  But, I have Lady D in her... easily shot apart Raider that coincidentally can also be torn apart by weight of SMS.  Also of note is that I'm stuck with double-flamer Hellhounds, something I haven't used in well... ever.  Well...  At least this'll be a game, right?
---------------------------------------------

To be continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

Well this is certainly a strange concept, Lady D fighting for you.

A shame about your Stompa battle, hopefully we'll see that before too long but for now this will certainly suffice.

I personally can't see the Vendetta firing its guns more than once in this battle, if at all, I certainly wouldn't put anything inside it because falling from the sky is never a nice experience. On the other hand I reckon the Hellhounds might do really well against his infantry if you get them close enough.

Hope you had fun with this one. I forget exactly how your BT points system works, do I need to simply guess the outcome? If that's the case then I'll go for you winning it on objectives despite having lost most of your models, I reckon you'll keep your objective and successfully remove the troops from his so it'll end 1-0 in your favour.

Looking forward to the report.

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on February 14, 2014, 05:52:08 PM
Well this is certainly a strange concept, Lady D fighting for you.

A shame about your Stompa battle, hopefully we'll see that before too long but for now this will certainly suffice.

I personally can't see the Vendetta firing its guns more than once in this battle, if at all, I certainly wouldn't put anything inside it because falling from the sky is never a nice experience. On the other hand I reckon the Hellhounds might do really well against his infantry if you get them close enough.

Hope you had fun with this one. I forget exactly how your BT points system works, do I need to simply guess the outcome? If that's the case then I'll go for you winning it on objectives despite having lost most of your models, I reckon you'll keep your objective and successfully remove the troops from his so it'll end 1-0 in your favour.

Looking forward to the report.

Hi Cammerz!
I should say that you've read almost all of my reps, so I think you may see a slight pattern develop in how I play (i.e. I take risks that sometimes fail horribly).  You're right in some of your guesses, and I will award you the point, as I err... forgot to explain it better as it has been a while.  I'll spell it out later before the next rep :)
Let me know what you think.  I'm actually trying to figure out what I should do with this series at this point, although I suppose Guard will be getting a face-lift at some point soon.

Best,
-BT
------------------------------------

Setup: Well, the table we're using thankfully has some LoS blocking ruins, and I have a small bunker (about bastion sized) to use as my Void Generator.  I place that down front and center in my deployment zone, as I'll probably have to be as aggressive as possible.  My opponent puts his ADL in one corner.  The rest of the terrain goes down with larger pieces in the corners, with the most notable being a large multi-story piece that goes down on my opponent's side opposite his ADL. 

I win first turn and put down the Tanks and Lady D with her Wyches and Raider in the center, making sure to keep her Nastiness away from the others so they don't go stupid.  The blob with Jenna goes down on my right, opposite his EW objective inside his ADL.  My objective goes down behind my Void Generator.  Jax with her Vendetta and the Bomber go in reserves.

My opponent starts to fill in his ADL with both Riptides with attached Shas'O and Ethereal.  Fire Warriors go in front of them.  Broadsides and Skyrays go in the multi-story on the opposite corner.  Kroots go in reserve to outflank.
I take a moment to look at ALL of those guns and think to myself: This... is gonna be brutal.

I scout up the Hellhounds because at this point, Why not?

My opponent rolls to seize and thankfully fails, allowing many a sphincter muscle to be released.

Picture Caption: So... I'm walking the blob into twenty-four pulse rifles.  Somehow this doesn't seem that bright.
----------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------
Interlude (AKA How Much is that Soul in the Window?)
----------------------------------------------------
Seneschal Jack Hawkins looked around at the assembled Tau army in front of him.  It became clear that the Tau weren't going to take 'no' for an answer.  Jenna had assembled a small camp on the planet's surface, and the Ethereal had honestly come to debate the issue.  He just hadn't come alone.  There were a massive number of the smaller warriors, but the enormous twin battlesuits that stood easily the height of four men with enormous guns really set the tone of the field.  Jack had brought a small detachment with him, but it was more for show than anything.  If they were going to try anything, it would be suicide.  They were outnumbered and outgunned.  Part of him was growing irritated with Jenna, but he knew she was struggling with her inner sense of morals.  Jack hadn't understood some of the finer details, but Jenna had this unwritten set of rules that she refused to break.  Which was good, considering the extent of her powers.  But, Jack knew how this was going to end.

The Tau wouldn't back down, and neither would Jenna.  All he could hope was that it would be quick, and hopefully some of them would be left alive at the end of it.  They would need a miracle otherwise.

-----------------------------------------------------

"What's the matter, poppet?  You look distressed."

Captain Alyssa Jax looked up from her holoscreen to snarl at Lady D'ysperax.  Jax wasn't in the best of moods by any means.  Jack, her ex-husband, had left her on-board the Rogue Trader and had skipped down to the planet with the Captain so that both of them could try to do... something diplomatic with the Xenos.  Jax had suggested that they fight, or at least try an ambush, but the idea was squashed.  Captain Jenna wouldn't chance the death of her crew, and Jax couldn't help but feel some of the old ire that she thought was long-since buried come to surface.  She was still a Captain of the Imperial Guard.  But all Jenna thought she was good for was babysitting.  Although the "baby" in question was dangerous enough.  Jax wiped away a strip of hair and snarled.

"It's none of your business."

"Oh, my, I am sorry," said Lady D'ysperax, who was lounging in the small state room.  Jax had made sure that she was disarmed, but there was still something innately dangerous about her.  Although she looked bubble-headed and frail with a body more suited for alley-walking than fighting, Jax had seen the murder she could do first-hand.  Jax checked her las-pistol, if only to make sure that it was still there.  Tensing the cord-like muscles in her arms, she tried not to think of the ways she might be able to take the Eldar in a fight, but the damned Xenos was more interested in torturing her with words first.  Although the waiting was almost as bad.

"Tell me, poppet, what do you think the Tau will do when they find out you've been hiding me all this time?  I mean, they are the generous sort, I suppose?  The 'Greater Good,' right?  I mean, there's still the possibility that they won't just obliterate all of you.  They'll give you the chance to be their willing slaves.  Hmm...  A tempting offer, don't you think?"

Jax glared at her, "Tempting?  Maybe for an Eldar.  We'd rather die first."

"Mmmm," said Lady D'ysperax thoughtfully, leaning back in the lounge chair and kicking her heels up playfully.  "You know, there's still a chance we could turn this around."

"We?" chuckled Jax, "You expect me to trust you?"

"Nothing of the sort, my dear little princess.  All I need you to do is tell me where I should go, and well...  I think you've seen what I can do.  Just show me where they are.  What's the worst that could happen?"

-----------------------------------------
Turn 1: Ladies
-------------------
Jack was dozing as the umpteenth hour of talking was going by and the two sides retreated to their separate camps for the night.  Jenna had been meditating for a while, and the whole situation had ground to a halt for the moment.

Just as he was going to considering sleeping wholeheartedly, a flare of light lit up the darkness between the two camps.
Jack ran over and a swear came to his lips as he saw a Xenos structure flicker into existence through some kind of gate.  The thing was rife with spikes and thrummed with a kind of otherworldly energy.  He was about to yell for everyone to evacuate when he heard a high-pitched laughter and saw a slim, familiar female Eldar standing next to it, clad in spiked armor and gesturing to him in a lascivious manner.

"Hello, darling, did you miss me?"

Before he could say anything in reply, Jack heard sirens from the Tau camp.  D'ysperax.  How had she gotten free?  What was she planning?  And would he have time to find out?
-----------------------------------------

The Hellhounds roll forwards and unleash hell.  Or rather Promethium.  Since the Fire Warriors are sort of packed in almost all of them perish, and Jack's Chimera finishes off the last mostly singed one.  Lady D zooms forward in her Raider, setting up a possible assault.  The blob slogs forwards into more terrain.

Picture Caption: Wait... so Hellhounds work?

-----------------
Turn 1: Tau
------------------
Shas'O Da'va knew it was only a matter of time before the treachery would begin.  Aun'ui was sure that the Captain could be negotiated with, but Da'va knew within his heart that all Gue'vesa knew little of honour.
But, that was why they brought Riptides.

"Target on their vehicles.  Let them feel the wrath of the Greater Good!"
----------------------

The Tau respond by pulling back and pulling out the big guns.  The Riptides both successfully overcharge their guns and with their escortees pull back into the far corner, and the Fire Warriors move around to bodyshield them.  The Ethereal declares Storm of Fire (really, does anyone ever choose anything else?).  I've managed to position my tanks outside of 36" from the Skyrays, so they'll have to move up to get within range (which they do) which will reduce their shots this turn.  The skimmers do choose to move up, and sadly enough do not get caught on terrain.

Thankfully, the Skyrays don't seem have the best aim, so the Broadsides and Riptides don't get much markerlight support.  Which is good, as the HBC Riptide and Broadsides barely manage to take out the three Void Shields.  My opponent considers his targets with Fire Warriors.  Most everything is outside of 15"...  That is, save Lady D's Raider.  He fires them into the very fragile ship, but thankfully there's only glances that get through, leaving the very damaged ship floating with a single hull point left.  Then, the Ion Accelerator Riptide fires and thankfully (even with the re-rolls), only manages to hit  the Hellhounds with it's big gun, knocking off one of the turrents (aww...) and taking a hull point off the other.

Picture Caption: Somehow, SOMEHOW, my tanks are not on fire!

-------------------
Turn 2: Ladies
-------------------
Jax was still swearing to herself when her Vendetta dropped out of the clouds.  It wasn't supposed to be like this.  She was supposed to be in charge.  D'ysperax said she was going to help, but how was Jax supposed to know that she had that many hidden forces on the ship?

There was a shudder of turbulence and Jax just shook her head.  Blaming an Eldar for being treacherous and not revealing their whole hand?  You might as well blame a Ratling for hiding rations.

Another tremble shot through the craft, and Jax barked at the pilot.

"Are we being shot at or is there some reason you can't keep this damn thing level?"

The pilot glanced back at her and slapped his panel in annoyance.

"Apologies, Captain.  I don't know why, it's like there's another plane or something that's..."

Something black and sinister dropped in front of them, and Jax had a fraction of a second to see an Eldar craft slip in front of them, blocking their view.

The pilot swore and was about to fire the lascannons, when Jax shouted, "No!  Don't fire on them."

There was a moment as all on-board looked at her.  Jax frowned and said, "They're daring us to try.  No, this time, they're on our side."

The pilot nodded and the inky-black craft swept off to one side, silent as a shadow.

"Captain?" said the pilot, "That ship's armaments will make mincemeat of us if we..."

"Then let's not," interrupted Jax, who was feeling like the situation was getting worse.  And possibly not ever getting better.
-------------------------------------

My Vendetta and Bomber come in.
They both zoom to aim at the Broadsides that have big targets painted them.  The tanks continue to push forwards and I unload Lady D for assault.  The blob continues to trundle forwards.

And... before I can do anything, the HBC Riptide immobilizes and stuns my Vendetta (!!) despite my attempts to jink.

My Void Raven misses both of it's shots as well...  Sometimes the dice really hate you.
Thankfully, the Hellhound and Chimera do good work and pretty much clean out the second batch of Fire Warriors.  The remains get assaulted by Lady D and her Wyches, who also nicely manage to avoid quite a few overwatch shots with minimal casualties. 
The Riptide fails to do much, and I don't quite manage to kill the Ethereal, so the stubborn git holds on.  Which is... good in a way at least.

Picture Caption: At least Lady D has them stuck for the moment...

---------------------
Turn 2: Tau
---------------------
Da'va let off a victory howl as the Riptide smashed the alien tank into pieces.  The remainder of the front line wavered and fell back.

Cowards, thought Da'va, Assaulting from the banner of peace and now trying to flee.  Well, all it would take was a simple message to their ship and the Gue'vesa would find nothing but spacedust to run back to...

"Shas'O!"

Da'va turned back and watched with horror as the Riptide he had instructed to guard Aun'ui shudder and fall.  The enormous battlesuit landed with a ground-shaking tremble, and a small group of barely-clad alien females walked out from behind it.

There was an odd musical sound, and Da'va looked over to see an armored female twirling a delicate looking blade whistling casually on top of the downed suit.

"Oh, my," said Lady D'ysperax, "It looks like the appetizer's all done.  Are you ready for the main course, girls?"
---------------------------

The Shas'O and Riptide bounce forward, looking for more mayhem.  They shoot and then assault one of the Hellhounds.
The Skyrays fire at the Void Raven and shake it and knock off a Lance, but at least it survives!  (yay?)
The Broadsides fire into Jack's Chimera and knock off a Heavy Bolter.
The Ethereal finally goes down and Lady D is free!  The Dark Eldar consolidate up to the ADL wall, looking keenly at the Shas'O on the other side.

Picture Caption: And now, here she comes!

--------------------
BigToof Points:

BigToof

--------------------
Turn 3: Ladies
-------------------
"Captain!"

Jenna looked up at the shout and saw a sight that made her bones chill.  Lady D'ysperax and a group of her Eldar were on the field.  They were charging the Shas'O and the last of the large suits.  She didn't have to look around to feel the trepidation in her men.  They could provide covering fire.  Perhaps even give the Eldar a distraction.  But, should they?  D'ysperax was a monster, and the very presence of the Dark Eldar was almost as bad as Chaos.  In some ways, even worse, as there was still logic and sense in the madness.  But a hunger that blurred her mind, and made it hard to think.

The worst part was that they were their last best hope.

"Prepare the charge," Jenna whispered, and the Sergeant next to her paled slightly before sounding out her orders.  As much as it pained her, the good of the many were at stake, and she had let her own self-restraints endanger them far too much.

Dragging herself up, she leapt over the outcropping that had given them precious cover and only had a moment to see the incoming fusillade that knocked her off her feet...
-----------------------------------

I attempt to Iron Arm Jenna and peril on a 12.  (wonderful)
The blob moves up and I pull the tanks back to the center, as I realize that not even the biggest flamer is going to dent 2+ armor.
The Vendetta flies off the board.  The fairly injured Bomber limps up to try again.
Lady D also gets into assault position.
My bomber stuns the Skyray who gimped him (justice that is!).
I declare a long charge with the blob and my opponent overwatches, killing enough to make me fail the charge (SMS is so painful!).  I also realize that I put Jenna far too close to the top, and she takes a SMS to the face!  I roll to try and LoS! it, but I fail that and she goes down. (First time ever!)
But that lets Lady D get in, who challenges the Shas'O.  The Commander accepts... and then gets wrecked by the Huskblade.
The Riptide tries to run but fails.  I soul-suck the Commander and now Lady D is at S6!

Picture Caption: So... that's... like half the opposing army Lady D... you can stop anytime now...

------------------
Turn 3: Tau
------------------
The Kroot arrive and make a run for my objective.
The Broadsides and Skyray decide to batter up Jack's ride some more, and they manage a hull point, but not much else as the Void Shields cover them (regenerated a few shields over the past few turns.  I may have... forgotten that last round...)

Picture Caption: Broadsides are serious business.

---------------------
Turn 4: Ladies
---------------------
I move Jack and the Hellhound over to watch the objective.  I also get Lady D back in her ride and move her up to threaten the Broadsides.  The blob finally gets close enough to the Tau objective so they can take it next round.
Oh, and my really damaged Vendetta flies in and I parachute out Jax... who then eats a surprising amount of SMS from the Broadsides.  I lose almost all the Veterans to their interceptor fire and dangerous terrain tests from jumping out the plane, but what I have stays.

---------------------
Turn 4: Tau
---------------------
The Skyrays are now out of missiles and the Broadsides can't quite seem to cut through the Void Shield.  Kroot move up.

--------------------
Turn 5: Ladies
--------------------
Lady D jumps out and plows into the Broadsides.  Almost all of the Wyches die to overwatch, but that's ok, as the Lady D chops up the rest.
Jack and the Hellhound drive up to prevent the Kroot from doing anything funny.

Picture Caption: Why is noone shooting Lady D?

And with that, my opponent concedes.

Result: Lady J and Lady D Victory!

==============================

Post Game Thoughts:  Well, the Vendeta was pretty underwhelming, as was the Void Raven.  I suppose it's just that I didn't have much in the way of decent targets for them to shoot at, but they just acted as really expensive annoyances, which I suppose is worth something, just maybe not how much they cost now...  Also, that and they got shot all but to bits by interceptor fire.  That HBC can be nasty if it Nova-charges!  Jenna and the blob also did almost nothing, and I'm a bit sad that Jenna got taken out.  I have to watch where I put her!  Also, without Prescience the blob really isn't that scary.  I have to find some sort of means of making them work.

The star of the show is (surprisingly) Lady D.  She carved through the Tau, eliminating both HQs, both Riptides and the Broadsides!  I didn't know an Archon could do all that (take notes, Y'stral!).  I asked my opponent why he didn't gun for her earlier, but he said that the Hellhounds were just so much more of a priority, the Eldar weren't scoring, and well... assault is "dead" in 6th, right?  I'll have to try more Wyches next time.  Also on the sad side, is that my mate took Lady D back with him, so unless I mock up my "own" Lady D, I suppose this is the end of the series...  Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Oh, the Void Shield Generator was also surprisingly effective, blunting the Tau's first turn return strikes, as otherwise 3 penetrating hits would have wiped out or at least severly damaged all of my tanks.  For 100 or so points, that's not that bad of an investment...  Although I think I've given it a bad name in my local group now, so I don't think they'll let me take it again.  Still, you never do know...
---------------------------------

"Captain?!"

Jenna looked up to see the sweating face of Jack.  Where was she?  Looking around, she saw a medical tent.  That's right.  There was a strain of some sort and she had passed out.  The Dark Eldar killing things had created a kind of psychic miasma that was hard to keep at bay.  But, now things were over.  At least she hoped so.

"Jack?  Are... Are things over?"

Nodding, Jack looked pensive for a moment.

"Please, Jack, don't... don't make me read your mind.  I don't think I could take the strain."

Jenna cracked a small smile and Jack paused for a moment before chuckling in return.  At least she could joke about it.  He wondered if she still would be after she found out what had happened.

"The battle's done, Captain.  The ship's safe.  Why don't you get some rest?"

Jenna nodded and Jack waited for a few moments before she fell into her fitful sleep again.  He waited a few minutes longer before walking out of the tent and into the ruins of the battlefield.  The remainder of the Guard had formed a defensive perimeter around the medical tent, and Jack could tell that every man was willing to die rather than let the Eldar take her.  Although, he was hoping that it wouldn't come to that.
A high-pitched giggle brought his attention to his right, and he saw a somewhat bloodied Jax walking alongside Lady D'ysperax who was tossing a Tau battlesuit helmet from side to side.  The metal helm was easily the size of his chest, and yet, she was toying with it as if it weighed a feather.  That boded ill.  He took a second to glare at Jax, who nodded shamefully in return.  He'd have words with her later, but for now, he had to deal with the Xenos, in one way or another.

"Eldar."

"Jack."

Jack glared at her, "We are not on a first-name basis.  You..."

"Oh, poppet," said Lady D'ysperax, "You are so fun to taunt.  So easily riled up, so unlike... my past loves.  I suppose that's why I find you so adorable.  How is our dear Captain doing?"

"Fine enough," said Jack, "And none of your business.  Are you done here?"

The Eldar looked around and put an overly-dramatic finger to her lips, "Oh, oh yes, I do think I am.  Hmmm, how a little atrocity once in a while does stir the blood.  Tell me Jack, how about a post-battle little orgy?  Jax and I think you'd make a marvelous toy."

Jax growled, "I did not say..."

"Oh, no, you didn't, did you?" said the Lady, "I keep forgetting that.  What with you sharing with me battlefield information and the security locks to the ship, I get so confused with the... littler details.  Still, the invitation is open, but...  I have the feeling you may have things you'll want to talk about."

And with that, Lady D'ysperax turned on her heel and left the two Mon'keigh to a rather heated discussion.  Their frustration, shame and rage just bubbled over and was succulent to a degree she hadn't had in quite some time.  How lovely a vacation this was going to be...
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Oh how I do love Lady D when she's in her element, she was fantastic in the fluff and on the table in this report, well done.

I can see why he targetted your Hellhounds though, you annihilated his Fire Warriors with them as I predicted, a shame about your aircraft but against two Sky Rays and two Riptides could you really expect anything else? Usually if you plan to bring aircraft against the Tau either go big or go home but given the pure brutality of Lady D and her Wyches I don't think it really mattered to you that much.

I was surprised that you effectively left your home objective undefended for most of that battle, had he destroyed your transport vehicles early on you might have had trouble.

But well done on the victory, great fluff as well, looking forward to the next one, whichever army it may be.

Job's a good un!

Chris

Quality! That Shield Generator is viscous! I can understand why Admiral Hoff took them out!

Is that a standard fortification for 40k or do you need to be playing one of the add-ons?

Great job mate! I always look forward to your Batreps, love the story to go alongside it!

The Man They Call Jayne

Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BigToof

Thank you all for the very kind comments!
I'm glad my absence hasn't cost me my skills.

Quote from: Cammerz on February 17, 2014, 11:13:34 AM
Oh how I do love Lady D when she's in her element, she was fantastic in the fluff and on the table in this report, well done.

I can see why he targetted your Hellhounds though, you annihilated his Fire Warriors with them as I predicted, a shame about your aircraft but against two Sky Rays and two Riptides could you really expect anything else? Usually if you plan to bring aircraft against the Tau either go big or go home but given the pure brutality of Lady D and her Wyches I don't think it really mattered to you that much.

I was surprised that you effectively left your home objective undefended for most of that battle, had he destroyed your transport vehicles early on you might have had trouble.

But well done on the victory, great fluff as well, looking forward to the next one, whichever army it may be.

Job's a good un!

Hi Cammerz,
Glad you liked Lady D and the battle.  I guess in hindsight the Hellhounds were a bigger threat than I thought.
Also, maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on the fliers, but what with everyone saying how "OP" the Vendetta is, I thought it would do you know... something.
I rarely leave something on my home base unless there's a big mobile threat that can score objectives and is hard to remove.  I guess that comes from playing Dark Eldar/Orks a lot :)  I like to feel that every unit is doing SOMETHING a turn, and to just have something sitting around and doing not much is actually kind of a pet peeve of mine.

So... would you like me to keep Lady D around?
And if so... how should I go around doing that?

Quote from: Chris on February 17, 2014, 05:11:06 PM
Quality! That Shield Generator is viscous! I can understand why Admiral Hoff took them out!

Is that a standard fortification for 40k or do you need to be playing one of the add-ons?

Great job mate! I always look forward to your Batreps, love the story to go alongside it!

Hi Chris!
Thank you for your kind comment.
The Void Shield Generator is a new addition in the Stronghold Assault book.
It gives you 3 AV12 shields and is kind of one of the more debatable parts of the book.
I had been talking for quite a while about it's potential effectiveness, but now am glad to say that yes it works and it's pretty good for most mech armies.
You might want to try it yourself if that's your playing style.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on February 17, 2014, 06:26:35 PM
Is it the one that gives you a 3++ save if you are behind it?

Hi Jayne,
The Void Shield Generator's the new one from Stronghold Assault.
It gives you 3 AV12 shields that can regenerate and it's pretty nifty :)

Thank you all again, and if you have any requests, let me know!
I've got a Tau rep and an Eldar Beaststar rep in the works... :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: