News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

1850 All-Comers Space Wolves/Marines/Inquisition

Started by Waaaghpower, February 25, 2014, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

This is an experimental TAC list with several of my armies, I wanted a chance to test-run a decked out Chapter Master, and give Inquisition a shot.

Fortifications:
Aegis Defense Line w/ Icarus Lascannon

Primary Detachment: Space Wolves:
Rune Priest - Chooser of the Slain

Grey Hunters - 10, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod
Grey Hunters - 10, 2 Meltaguns, Drop Pod

Thunderwolf Cavalry - 3, 1 w/ Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield

Long Fangs - 4 Missile Launchers
Long Fangs - 4 Plasma Cannons

Allied Detachment: Space Marines
Chapter Tactics: Iron Hands

Chapter Master - Shield Eternal, Thunder Hammer, Artificer Armor, Bike
Techmarine
Servitors - 3

Scouts - 5 Sniper Rifles and Camo Cloaks

Stormraven - Assault Cannons and Multi-Melta

Inquisitorial Detachment: Inquisitors:
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor - Mastery Level 1, Psyccolum, Power Armor
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - Mastery Level 1, 3 Servo-Skulls, Grimoire of True Names, Power Armor, Daemonblade, Nemesis Daemonhammer

Total: 1850

There are several different sets of unit synergy going on here. The Techmarine bolsters cover for the scouts, allowing them to get 2+ cover in Ruins or 3+ in Area Terrain, and they squat as objective holders. The Techmarine ALSO sits inside the Stormraven with the 3 Servitors, and between IWND and a 1+ Blessing of the Omnisiah roll, makes the Stormraven painfully hard to kill.

The Rune Priest, Inquisitors, and Long Fangs all sit behind the Aegis Line and make merry havoc. Between four rolls on the Divination chart, 3 Mastery Levels, and Psycollum, they have a crapload of damage modifiers. The Inquisitors also function as fairly effective body shields, and add some CC damage in case assault units get near. (For around 100 points each, inquisitors are frightening in Close Combat.) It won't be unlikely to get ignores cover, rerolls to hit, or BS10 (Pick any two for both units of Long Fangs). I might consider swapping out the Nemesis Daemonhammer for another Demonblade, (For a greater chance at getting buffs like EW, FNP, +3 Attacks, extra psychic powers, etc. Also, with the right rolls, a Demonblade causes the same damage as a Daemonhammer, but strikes at initiative.)

Meanwhile, the Chapter Master and the Long Fangs charge forward and hopefully cause a ton of damage in Close Combat. The Thunderwolf with a Thunder Hammer provides a little S10, they're super-durable, and of course the Chapter Master is ungodly hard to kill with 6+ FNP, It Will Not Die, T5, 2+ 3++ and 4 Wounds.

Lastly, the Grey Hunters aren't actual damage units. I intend to drop them at midfield or backfield objectives (They *can* take forward positions, but I'd like to avoid that since there's only two squads of them in an 1850 game.) If anything gets close they can dish out some pain, but they will try to avoid taking too much firepower where they can since, once again, I need them for scoring.

So, what do you think? The big weaknesses I'm seeing are a minimal amount of Scoring, (Though the Stormraven and Long Fangs can help in Big Guns Never Tire, and the TWC help in The Scouring). My LGS don't use Lords of War, so that shouldn't be an issue. And, worst comes to worst, I don't think it will be hard to force my enemies off of objectives, seeing as this list can deal out a crapload of damage.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

CoffeeGrunt

The biggest issue I see is when the Inquisitor starts trying to mind wipe the survivors of the fight and starts another war with the Space Wolves. :P

Also there's not many answers to AV14 here, especially in the numbers Guard like to field. You've also invested a lot in keeping that Storm Raven alive. Bear in mind that if the Techpriest brings Servitors, they count as a squad, and so stop anything else embarking while inside. They're also at risk of a one-shot-kill which isn't difficult to get an an AV12 hull. I'd argue that if the Raven does die, it'll be within a turn, so IWND and Omnissiah may not even get a look in.

Also the Quad Gun is better than the Icarus against 90% of targets. Bear in mind that your Warlord will be the lowly Rune Priest, as your Warlord must always come from the Primary Detachment. I'd look at reworking the list so that Mr Tanky the Chapter Master is running the show, but it's up to you, really.

The Psyocculum also only works when targeting Psyker, I believe.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Waaaghpower

4 Meltaguns, a Lqscannon, and a Multi-Melta should do something to stop AV14. (And the S10 Thunder Hammer in the Thunderwolf squad.)
I don't think the Techmarine's filling up the Stormraven should be a problem, since I don't want the Scouts riding inside and that's the only unit I brought who could go inside.
Also, one of tge Inquisitors can (And probably will) be my Warlord. Special rule allows it. They've got a much better Warlord Traits chart than the BRB.

Why is a Quad-Gun better than an Icarus? (Other than having Twin-Linked, which is irrelevant because of Prescience.) Against AV10 Flyers I can see it doing a bit better, but I'm mostly worried about Helldrakes, Necrons, and other Stormravens.

CoffeeGrunt

It's generally better to have work, slightly weaker shots than relying on one, high/power shot.

You'll have to hope your Meltaguns get within range, otherwise you might have issues with only a Lascannon and Assault units as backup.

I would personally say dropping the Techmarine for some more Scoring or something might be better. He won't do anything if the Raven goes down in one turn.

Waaaghpower

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on February 26, 2014, 07:08:10 PM
It's generally better to have work, slightly weaker shots than relying on one, high/power shot.

You'll have to hope your Meltaguns get within range, otherwise you might have issues with only a Lascannon and Assault units as backup.

I would personally say dropping the Techmarine for some more Scoring or something might be better. He won't do anything if the Raven goes down in one turn.
The Meltaguns are in Drop Pods... Getting in range should be easy.
Maybe swap the Techmarine and Servitors for another Plasma Cannon and Missile Launcher, then buy the Rune Priest Terminator armor?

CoffeeGrunt

That sounds like a good call if you can do it.

You'll probably be fine with the Melta, literally the only army that might give you issues is Guard, as they're more than capable of putting 7" of bodies around the tanks.

BigToof

Just a few points:
As your biker gets 5+ jink and he's leading the wolves that means that your opponent can choose to focus fire and shoot only at the wolves as they have a worse cover save.
Also, an inquisitor leading 5 long fangs is kind of few models that could get shot to pieces in short order.
Remember that if you do make an inquisitor your warlord, your opponents will start gunning for him.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3