News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Armoured Company IG [1k]

Started by Narric, February 27, 2014, 09:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Found a copy of Chapter Approved from 2004, and thought I'd try the Imperial guard Armoured Company Rules & Army List. The book came with stats for all the vehicles included, though it would be interesting to see how the older unit versions would fair in todays ruleset.

As this is a completely new Army List, I'm going to start at 1000pts, and work up from there :P

Spoiler
HQ
Command Tank - 180pts
LR Exterminator, Hull Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters, Extra Armour

Elites
Tank Ace - 180pts
LR Battle Tank, Hull Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters

Tank Ace - 180pts

Troops
Troop Tank - 135pts
LR Exterminator, Hull Heavy Bolter

Troop Tank - 135pts
LR Exterminator, Hull Lascannon

Fast Attack
Recon Section - 100pts
Salamander Scout Vehicle

Recon Section - 100pts
Salamander Scout Vehicle

Total = 1000

This is actually surprisingly fast to make a list for.

With the advent of the current rules for Tank damage, it would be interesting to see how long such a list would last. To makew it properly effective, it would most likely require an Infantry force to ally alongside it.

What do you guys think?

The Man They Call Jayne

5 Leman Russes at 1000 point is just hideous. NOBODY is going to have the AT fire power to take then out fast enough AND have the ability to absorb that much return firepower.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

But the list only has seven targets!! surelly thats one Tank down per turn?! and the two Salamanders are Chimera stats, so could be taken out by most standard weaponry and greandes!!

I could be evil and replace one Tank Ace and a Scout  for two more Troop Tanks.....

The Man They Call Jayne

AV14 is a nightmare to beat though. You need atleast S8 if you want to glance it to death. Missile Launchers are common, Lascannons are availiable. Only Demolishers, Railguns and Multi Also, using cover, you MIGHT kill a tank a turn, but the other 4 are going to take out so much of a 1000 point list that you aren't going to have enough guns left for the next one.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

OK, lets see what I could do with 1.5k pts...

Spoiler
HQ
Command Tank - 180pts
LR Exterminator, Hull Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters, Extra Armour

Elites
Tank Ace - 180pts

Troops
Troop Tank - 146pts
LR Exterminator, Hull Heavy Bolter, Sponson Heavy Bolters, Searchlight

Troop Tank - 146pts

Troop Tank - 146pts

Troop Tank - 146pts

Fast Attack
Recon Section - 100pts
Salamander Scout Vehicle
(Open-topped, Fast Chimera with Autocannon and Heavy Bolter. Not Transport)

Recon Section - 100pts
Salamander Scout Vehicle

Recon Section - 100pts
Salamander Scout Vehicle

Heavy Support
Artillary Vehicle - 128pts
Basilisk, Armoured Crew Compartment, Smoke Launchers, Extra Armour

Artillary Vehicle - 128pts
Basilisk, Armoured Crew Compartment, Smoke Launchers, Extra Armour

Total = 1500pts

It is a little annoying that the Tanks don't come in squadrons, but if what you say about how hard it is to pop them, then they may be a good thing.

CoffeeGrunt

Looks nasty. If you knew it was coming, you could write a list to counter it, but an All Comers list would really struggle.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Arguleon-veq

I don't think its as broken as people may think. I used to run an Armoured Company now and again back in the day and it did pretty well but even today, I think my 1000 point Eldar list would do ok against it;

Farseer; Bike, Mantle.
3 Bikes;
3 Bikes;
3 Bikes;
5 Avengers
;
Wave Serpent; Cannon, Scatter, Holo.
Wraithknight;
Wraithknight
;

I think that's pretty standard for Eldar really in low point games and those Russ would have a seriously hard time with the Knights advancing through cover and shooting every turn as both will be getting re rolls from the mantle seer and the mantle seer himself would make a massive mess of tanks and would be almost impossible to kill without infantry to get him in combat.

I think Tau would have a good go too, Riptides would provide problems with their 2+ Save and they could just jet forward every turn as fast as they could to start Fusion/Kicking tanks to death.

So id give it a go in a few games!

Its just one of those lists, you either smash somebody because they don't have the AT, or get smashed because they have so much of it.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

I wonder how evil the list would be with my House Rule version of the Armoured Company rules :P

Hey Veq, maybe we could play a game on Vassal to see exactly how your list would fair :P

I know for a fact Necrons would just max out Troops, as their Guass weapons can mulch any vehicle.

Arguleon-veq

Yeah I forgot about Necrons, so there are at least 3 armies who couldn't complain about an Armoured Company being unbalanced.

Id love to if I had it and my computer was anywhere near good enough to anything but browse the internet at a snails pace :P.

I can actually see GW releasing a downloadable Armoured Company codex when the new Guard come out so this could be a legit army pretty soon.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

It may be legit, but I fear the "Official" updated release will give players the option of Squadrons of LRBTs as Troops, which would be downright horrifying.

In a way, I hope they don't update the Armoured Company, becuase aside from a little bit of freshing up and inclusion of newer units, its perfectly fine and balanced as is. Yeah you have a high output of lethal weapons, but you run a very elite army with few models, meaning you could easily be overwelmed.