News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

What Do You Make of the Dark Vengeance Box Set?

Started by Restayvien, March 13, 2014, 05:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Restayvien

I was just browsing the Games Workshop site for the first time in ages (specifically the 40k section), familiarising myself with the more recent expansions etc. I found the Dark Vengeance box and thought it actually looks like great value for money - the models are nice, and the mini-rulebook would probably be enough to get someone like me back into the game with relative ease.

What do you guys make of it? I did a quick search but there hasn't been much said about it.

Deraj

These starter sets have been pretty amazing for people who play the armies. The mini rulebooks are great for people who play often, the models are useful, and the price is low. The price is the really interesting part to me because I've often seen minirulebooks on ebay going for $40-$50, then people selling the army from the box they aren't using for about $50, meaning the army they are using was bought for about $10-$25.

I'm also sort of surprised at the quality of the models. Every model in the box looks pretty fantastic. I do think they should have gone with generic marines so more people could use them, as there's enough specific markings that are enough of a pain to remove that make the models less than useful for a normal marine player. For a normal CSM player on the other hand, the models are generic enough to be used for any army. (Generic meaning lacking god/army markings, by no mean do I mean they're boring.)

Narric

The DV boxset is pretty damn awesome. I cannot deny that, and in terms of contents its freaking good value. Some of the posing is a little awkward, or rigid. Compared to AoBR, it actually contains two armies with minimum requirements.

If I had £60, I probably would purchase a set (at a discounted price from a stockist)

CoffeeGrunt

Most of our Chaos players here started their armies from DV. Ideal for getting a basic but solid core of infantry, and the models all look good, if a bit mono-pose.

Personally, the only fault I have with it is that it doesn't have Tau in it.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Chris

I picked it up, primarily just for the mini rule book. Its excellent!
The mini's look good, easy to assemble and great value for money! I imagine I'll buy the next starter when it comes out too as its a great way to get the rules and plenty of toy soldiers for minimal money!

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric on March 13, 2014, 05:56:40 PM
Compared to AoBR, it actually contains two armies with minimum requirements.

Not without adding Azrael, Belial, or Sammael.  Without them, the Angels come with only one Troop.  Though, I suppose Azrael could be proxied with the Company Master in the kit...
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

Not sure what the DA Codex says, but SMurf Codex allows a Tactical squad of 5 to take a Heavy Weapon or Special Weapon. So using the SMurf codex you have two troops.
You can give the primary Combat squad the Vet serg according to the model, and the secondary squad could have a normal Serg.

Arguleon-veq

Brilliant value.

I think the models are actually way better than a lot of models out there despite the one pose option, the detail on them is fantastic.

What I think really makes it though is the additional booklet that has a whole campaign you can play through using just the two forces in the box that escalates as it goes along. I think that's a great addition and makes it into a pretty decent stand alone game in its own right, you pay that kind of price for top end board games but your getting way more models than normal!.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

That sounds like a definate improvement from AoBR, as that booklet just told you random bits about the model rather than how to play.

Is the Campaign book essentially a PvP tutorial? Adding more complex/advenced elements as it progresses?

Arguleon-veq

Its not even that really, its just a really cool full on campaign with fluff to go along with it. It just introduces the other units as it goes along. The first Chaos mission is actually 1 player where you try and disable your own Dreadnought as it goes crazy but your trying to not actually kill it.

I think its the best they have done so far although as has been said, its a shame they didn't make the Marines Vanilla. Or at least just had the DA iconography as clip on. The Chaos models work great for any chaos force though.

The characters are some of the best character models in the game IMO.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric on March 14, 2014, 10:57:07 PM
Not sure what the DA Codex says, but SMurf Codex allows a Tactical squad of 5 to take a Heavy Weapon or Special Weapon. So using the SMurf codex you have two troops.
You can give the primary Combat squad the Vet serg according to the model, and the secondary squad could have a normal Serg.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten that that.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."