News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Planeswalker Libraries [Magic, the Gathering]

Started by Narric, March 14, 2014, 02:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Found a really old yet unopened Magic: The Gathering strarter set at the local YMHA Charity shop.

I will be honest, i know nothing of M:tG so if anybody who knows stuff can tell me how old this set is that would be great :P

Are the cards still usable? I assume friendly games they're ok. If I don't open the packets would a TCG Collector be interested?

Also, M:tG thread :P

CoffeeGrunt

Ewwww, MtG!

I'd look at the packaging, there's almost guaranteed to be a date there, likely wherever the Wizards of the Coast trademark guff is.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

1993-2000 doesn't tell me much. As I don't know anything about MtG, I don't even know what Ruleset Edition that would be.

CoffeeGrunt

It tells you that it was printed in 2000. 1993 is when the trademark started, 2000 is the date of print, (because it'd be a bit cocky to put 2014 or whatever in!) :P

A quick Google search for MtG starters in 2000 yields this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starter_(Magic:_The_Gathering)

It seems the format these followed died around 2000, so you could be holding either something pretty valuable, or a pile of junk.

Narric

I shall hold fire unwrapping the stuff any further then.

I could put it up on eBay. I only paid 99p for it at the shop, and surely a collector would want it. Everything is present, as it still had its shrinkwrap covering when I bought it.

CoffeeGrunt

I've got a friend I can ask who knows his Magic stuff, I'll check with him.

In the mean time, can you just take a load of pictures of it? Might help identify it.

Arguleon-veq

Your pretty much always better opening the packs and then putting each card into the search engine on a site like Magic Madhouse to get their value, I cant tell what set it is from the cover but some sets have very expensive cards in, particularly older sets like this as the very best cards retain their value for formats of the game that use most card sets.

As I cant really tell what it is though it may be one of those sets where you don't get any rares, which would be a problem as that's were the value is. What does it say on the packs that you actually get?
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

It came with two 15-card "Starter decks" with a second "Advanced deck" per player, in addition there are two playing mats. The Rules come in a book (I think), and there is a DVD. The Box picture is the special card:

Quote from: RhoxCard: Green, shiny border but image not shiny.
Name: Rhox
Mana: 4 (two trees)
Creature - Beast
May deal damage as if unblocked
and for 2 mana (1 must be a tree) gains regenerate
5/5

This is mostly assumption, based loosely on when I played Duel Masters :P but it sounds like a fairly decent mid-game card for dealing blows to your opponent with many blocking cards.
Regenerate I assume relates to the second number, being the cards HP?

Thinking about it, when I said trees, is the correct term "Forest" in this game?

I haven't looked inside the starter packs, as I'm unsure whether I should keep the set for myself, or sell onwards on eBay.

Arguleon-veq

Well Rhox is worth about £2 so your already up in terms of what you paid :P

Id keep them if your interested in the game. I played about 12 years ago but finally picked it up again a year or two back and whilst I play fairly competitive decks I don't want to put the money in required to really place at proper pro tour qualifiers, I have still managed placings at Friday Night Magic events [which usually have 30-50 players, its like a one night tournament every Friday] and won boosters from it.

Theres a group of us who play and although 2 of the guys put a lot of money into the game the rest of us just play casual and pickup a booster here and there, there are lots of different formats to suit however you want to play. Standard is hard to keep up with as it has to be current cards.

Me and a few of the group have started to play a friendly format called Commander [EDH] which is much cheaper to play, stops a lot of silly combos as you can only have 1 of each card and its just more fun really.

What I do like about Magic in general is that its so easy to pick up and play/pack away etc. Quite often when we are sat around after doing something else we will just have a few games as its so easy to get a game going. I think its well worth doing if its something your group would be into just as a little side game to pass the time now and again and if you all keep it casual and not put loads of money into it and go for killer decks it can stay very fun.

Duel Decks are often a fun way of getting into the game. Its sets they release with 2 decks in and each deck has a certain theme, ive had lots of fun just using the original decks from duel deck sets against a person using the other.

If your looking to start, the duel deck 'Phyrexia vs the Coalition' is probably the cheapest [can get it for as low as £8 new usually] and I really enjoyed the completely different playstyles in the decks.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

silverfuge

Most starter packs have nothing mega so best opening and selling individually as previously stated. I would suggest mtg as its a good quick game.
Gm is God

Narric

Spoke to MT, who has said its best as a starter deck for me :P No real value selling on. I've opened the two player packs, and the cards seem alright. If I combine the two decks I think I am a few cards shy of the minimum 60. Got cards of all colours of Mana :P

Will have to see if there is a MtG group somewhere around.

Arguleon-veq

Another good thing about the game is that there are groups almost everywhere, any gaming shops usually have a place to play it or to do Friday Night Magic events. The ones that don't usually organise them to be held at local pubs.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

The closest gaming groups near me are on the other side of the City. It would be a little hard to justify the trvael :( When I move in one of the larger towns I'll see about a group. Might be a good idea to start looking now :P

Narric

Thanks to some friends I've now not only had my first few games of Magic, the Gathering, but also have a deck to call my own, which has won all three games I have currently played with it.

I had borrowed my friends Red/Blue deck, which is what I ended up enjoying the most and is what inspired my choices for the deck I have now.

I will post the contents of my 70card deck, but I would love to hear what others think of it, and indeed see what others include in their own Decks.

Narric's Red/Blue Deck
Lands:
14x Mountain (Red)
14x Island (Blue)
1x Swiftwater Cliffs (Red/Blue)

Red:
2x Bladetusk Boar
2x Riot Devils
2x Goblin Roughrider
2x Goblin Arsonist
Gore Swine
Tenement Crasher
Krenko's Enforcer
Borderland Marauder
Searing Spear
Pursuit of Flight
Weapon Surge
Lightning Strike
Cleaver Riot
Chandra's Fury
Bolt of Karanos

Blue:
2x Kraken Hatchling
Jeskai Windscout
Quickling
Omenspeaker
Wind Drake
Mahamoti Djinn
Jeskai Sage
Gryff Vanguard
2x Divination
2x Cancel
Mind Sculpt
Unsummon
Jace's Inqenuity
Sleep
Hydrosurge

Dual Colours:
2x Cunning Strike
Master of the Way

I'm in need of trying to play against people I don't already now. Hopefully the local MEta isn't too harsh on us Newbs :P

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing what people think, and seeing what other decks people use :)

The Man They Call Jayne

You might find Pin to Earth useful. Enchantment Aura, Enchanted creature gets -6/-0. A nice bit of pseudo removal.

I shall have to dig mine out of the box an actually make a list of it. It's a bigger deck, nearer 90 cards, which isn't ideal, but it is very balanced and reliable.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4