News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Grey Lords [1.5k][Space Marines]

Started by Narric, March 16, 2014, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Making this list to include models and units I currently already have, and units I currently plan on including. This is to see how effective people think my collection is going to be, and what units/models they'd recommend including.

Be forewarned. this list will include some unusual numbers for some units. Simply put, I am not restricting myself to GW kits.

Lets see what I can do :P

As its Marine, I'll be making sure to note which Chapter Tactic each unit is using.
Brown units are Imperial Fists CTs (Primary detachment)
Blue units use Ultramarine CTs (allied detachment)

Spoiler
HQ
Captain[Warlord] - 125pts
Relic Blade, Combi-Plasma

Scout Captain - 110pts
Storm Bolter, Power Weapon

Troops
"Veteran" Sniper Scouts - 119pts
Telion + 4 Scouts with Sniper Rifles & Camo Cloaks

Neophyte Scouts - 86pts
Sergeant - Bolt Pistol, Close combat Weapon
Squad (5) - Heavy Bolter, Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, Camo Cloaks

Neophyte Scouts - 86pts

Neophyte Scouts - 104pts
Squad (7) - Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, Camo Cloaks

Elites
Sternguard - 165pts
Sergeant - Power Weapon, Storm Bolter
Squad (4) - Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolters,

Fast attack
Storm Talon Gunship - 145pts
Typhoon Missile Launcher

Heavy Support
Centurian Devastator Squad - 360pts
Sergeant - TL Heavy Bolter, Missile Launcher
Squad (4) - TL Heavy Bolters, Missile Launchers

Storm Raven Gunship - 200pts
Total = 1500pts

The Talon, Raven and Devastators act as my heavy hitters. Either targeting enemy tanks or Flyers. The scouts press forward within cover, with some staying in my deployment to protect objectives. The Captains are attached to the Sternguard and Vet Scouts respectively.

So what do you guys think?

Arguleon-veq

Im not sure you really need the ultramarine detachment. All your really getting out of it is Tellion, who isn't worth that kind of investment in points to unlock him. If its a fluff thing just have a kitted out sarg for the unit.

On those Centurions I would deffo have Twin Linked Las/Missile on them to give you some real armour/2+ save busting.

It may cost you the Sternguard to be able to fit it in but I think its worth it as I don't think those Sternguard fill a solid role anyway.

I like the idea of losing those and putting those points towards a small unit of las/missile Cents for back field and them a small unit of Grav Cents to drop out of the Raven to tear up big monsters.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

If I drop the Blue-boy Captain and Telion, and go for a Kitted out Sniper Scout Vet Serg, I reckon I'd have ~75pts spare for Lascannon upgrades for the Centurians. It does make modelling a little sketchy however, as the original composition was to be made of Ripper Suits with Destroyer Shoulders. Thinking on it though, I could still do that by plonking a magnetised (TL'd) Lascannon on their backs, which would allow me to swap between Lascannons & MLs, and Heavy Bolter & MLs.

Out of stubbornness and not wanting to encourage such weaponry, I will never field Grav weapons in their current incarnation. To do so I would not feel like I truly claimed my victory through skill. Only if I knew I would be playing against a known Powergamer/Deathstar Spammer would I actually consider using the Grav-weapons, and that is to solely piss off the dude because he clearly has it coming :P

The Sternguard admitantly are there becuase I have a unit of "Marines," with weapons I don't feel the Boltgun statline complements, hence the Storm Bolter upgrade. I had thought of swapping a couple guys with Meltaguns, for some anti-tank.
I could replace them with a second Storm Raven. Actually, I like that idea :P Or maybe with spare pts a second Storm Talon?

Surprised my choice to field pure Scouts for Troops isn't used as evidence of insanity :P

[edit]
OK, new list, sans Sternguard, and now with Lascannons!!

Spoiler
Chapter Tactics
Imperial Fists

HQ
Captain[Warlord] - 130pts
Relic Blade, Combi-Plasma, Auspex

Troops
"Veteran" Sniper Scouts - 84pts
Veteran Sergeant – Storm Bolter
Squad (4) - Sniper Rifles & Camo Cloaks

Neophyte Scouts - 86pts

Neophyte Scouts - 86pts

Neophyte Scouts - 109pts
Sergeant - Bolt Pistol, Close combat Weapon, Meltabombs
Squad (7) - Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, Camo Cloaks

Fast attack
Storm Talon Gunship - 145pts
Typhoon Missile Launcher

Heavy Support
Centurian Devastator Squad - 460pts
Sergeant - TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher
Squad (4) - TL Lascannons, Missile Launchers

Total = 1500pts

Captain sits with the Sniper Scouts, using his Auspex as a sort of "Signum"
Storm Talon and the Ravens take full Sky Superiority, and the Centurians blast any Vehicle within sight, Land or Sky.
Scouts advance through cover and harass enemy infantry.

So what do you guys think now?

Arguleon-veq

I think that second list is pretty nice.

On those models you want to use, I think your original idea for the models works anyway to be honest, I think those guns in their hands look way more like powerful one shot weapons energy weapons [I imagine them shooting kind of like Ironman does] than a rapid firing weapon like a heavy bolter.

Id put the bigger, close combat Scout Squad in one of the Ravens [drop the Camo for an Axe or other good close combat wep on the Sarg] then your Captain will have a nice unit to join. It will get them into combat safely and it wont be a big loss that your Raven will be dropping down from fly mode because you will still have two flyers zooming about to keep air superiority.

I think that list should work well against pretty much anything you will see.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

I guess so long as the entire unit has the same weapon, i only need to clarify with my opponent which weapon the fist guns are :P

Problem with the Scout unit you've suggested is it doesn't work with the models I have :P
Spoiler
The Sawn-off Shotguns count-as Bolt Pistols, and sice the pictures were taken CCWs have been added. The Camo Cloak upgrades represent the shields.

The Sniper Scouts are completely different models.

I wasn't 100% sure if a unit could be mounted in a non-dedicated Transport, as they would be rolled for seperately. Should probably double check that rule...

Currently the only things I need to purchase are the Storm Talon substitute, the Centurian subs, and the kits I'm gonna convert into a Storm Raven :P