News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Tau 2K rebuilding from 4th

Started by bjt23, March 21, 2014, 01:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjt23

FIRST MAJOR EDIT:
HQ:

Slot 1: 155
Commander
Command and Control Node
Puretide Engram Neurochip
Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite
Drone Controller
2x Marker Drone

Slot 2: 142
Commander
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Drone Controller
2x Marker Drone
Target Lock
Neuroweb Jammer

Troops:

Slot 1: 108
Fire Warrior Squad
6x Additional Warriors

Slot 2: 108
Fire Warrior Squad
6x Additional Warriors

Elites:

Slot 1: 180
Stealth Team
3x Additional

Slot 2: 156
XV8 Team
2x Additional
6x Plasma Rifles

Slot 3: 240
XV104
Ion Accelerator
Twin Linked Fusion Blaster
Stimulant Injector
Velocity Tracker

Heavy Support:

Slot 1: 145
Hammerhead Gunship
Smart Missile System
Distruption Pod
Submunition Rounds

Slot 2: 255
XV88 Team
2x XV88
3x TL Heavy Missile Pods
3x Velocity Tracker

ALLIED DETACHMENT: ELDAR

HQ

Slot 1: 215
Crushing Blow
Monster Hunter

Troops

Slot 1: 51
Windrider Jetbike Squad

Heavy Support

Slot 1: 240
Wraithknight

This detachment seems... really powergamey to me.  Is this just a totally OK thing people do now or is it being super not cool?

ARMY TOTAL: 1995

ORIGINAL POST: So I haven't played Warhammer since 4th edition, but recently I've been interested in getting back into it.  I remember being fine against vehicles and horde style armies, but struggling against heavy infantry so I figured a few more battlesuits wouldn't hurt (I only had 2 XV8's before).  I had a chance to look at the new Tau codex and decided to try and make myself a 2K list, but since I've been away from the game for so long figured I probably could use some critique.  So, if you see any mistakes or weak points, or just general cost effective improvements that could be made in my list, I'd appreciate your help in telling me.  Assume this list to be all purpose and having to face all armies, I'm not one of those people who build lists to counter specific armies.

Spoiler
Two questions, the first about Rapid Fire- It looks like it got a huge boost in the new rulebook.  If I'm interpreting it right, XV8s (or anyone else for that matter now) can still move and fire the Plasma Rifle the full range, correct?  The second is about shield drones, it looks like they no longer get to use the armor save of the guy they're guarding, correct?

HQ:

Slot 1: 135
Commander
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Velocity Tracker

Slot 2: 137
Commander
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Velocity Tracker
Neuroweb Jammer

Troops:

Slot 1: 108
Fire Warrior Squad
6x Additional Warriors

Slot 2: 108
Fire Warrior Squad
6x Additional Warriors

Slot 3: 120
Kroot Carnivore Squad
10x Additional Carnivores

Slot 4: 120
Kroot Carnivore Squad
10x Additional Carnivores

Elites:

Slot 1: 180
Stealth Team
3x Additional

Slot 2: 126
XV8 Team
2x Additional
3x Twin Linked Plasma Rifles

Slot 3: 240
XV104
Ion Accelerator
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
Stimulant Injector
Velocity Tracker

Fast Attack:

Slot 1: 89
Pathfinder Team
3x Rail Rifles

Slot 2: 89
Pathfinder Team
3x Rail Rifles

Slot 3: 89
Pathfinder Team
3x Rail Rifles

Heavy Support:

Slot 1: 138
Hammerhead Gunship
Smart Missile System
Decoy Launchers
Automated Repair System
Submunition Rounds

Slot 2: 270
XV88 Team
2x XV88
3x Shield Generators

The XV88's got nerfed pretty hard, but I figure I need some decent anti-vehicle guns.  Is there a better choice or just stick with this?  Also would Velocity Trackers be a good idea or am I better off just trusting everything else to take down flyers/skimmers?  It also occurred to me I could take 2 more hammerheads for the same cost, would that be a better idea?

Fortification:
Aegis Defense Line-50

Am I even allowed to get this since I'm not Imperium?  How does this work?  I just threw it in here because I had the points and figured it couldn't hurt.  What do you guys think about fortifications?

ARMY TOTAL: 1999

I'm also curious as to what your guys position on having an Allied Detachment is.  There's definitely room to cut stuff from this army to add some Space Marines or Eldar for help with CC.  Do tournaments frown on allied detachments, or is it fine since it's in the rule book?

Overall I would say that I'm overwhelmed with the volume of changes and new options I can take, so I know there's room to improve.

The Man They Call Jayne

Also be aware that for the extra cost you can have 2 Plasma Rifles per suit instead of one TL Plasma Rifle. If you are willing to pay a little more and use Markers, 3 suits can throw out 12 plasma shots at BS5 that ignore cover.

Or you can turn XV8s into more mobile but more lightly armoured Broadsides with 2 Missile Pods apiece. Great for light/medium vehicle hunting.

You are correct about the Rapid Fire rule as well.

Pathfinders, be warned, are squishy as hell now, the loss of the 4+ save hit them hard, and if you aren't taking them for Markers, they are still going to die hard and fast because of what they are. People won't let Pathies wander around, they have too much of a rep for ruining peoples day. Bear in mind that you can take a unit of Marker Drones now if you wanted. Take a commander with a drone controller and they can all be BS5.

The one thing I am noticing is the lack of any real anti armour. The Hammerhead is always good, but that is all you have. The Broadsides. . .they really kinda suck now, best bet is the massed missiles for bringing down fliers and medium units and get some mobile Fusion Blasters out there for the really heavy stuff.

Oh and if memory serves, Decoy Launchers don't actually do anything on a Hammerhead anymore, they are for our Flyers now. I suppose thy would still work, but people arnt going to be firing many Intercept weapons at your Tank that has always been there. The Disruption Pod is your friend though providing you make use of cover.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

bjt23

Oh man I didn't even notice the pathfinders had a 5+ save...  Ok so scrap them, add marker drones, use separate Plasma Rifles, and ditch the decoy launchers.  Would ditching the XV88s for 2 more hammerheads be a good idea?

One of the commanders is also losing his weapons in favor of the signature systems so I can attach him to the crisis squad.

The Man They Call Jayne

You don't HAVE to use seperate rifles, its up to you if you want the trade off of the accuracy for potential hits.

The XV88s have the advantage of always being able to fire and if you put them in good cover, behind the Aegis line for example, they are pretty well hunkered down and will take some shifting.

Hammerheads are more mobile, but more vunerable, only lucky shot could remove it from play.

What is the meta like where you play? Is it very MEQ heavy and low on Vehicles? If so, ditch the Rail Gun and take the new and improved Ion Cannon. With it's Blast Mode it is now as good as a Battle Cannon on a Leman Russ, if with a slight shorter range.

Fusion Blasters got a range boost and are now the Go To tank killers really.

The Support Commander is one of my favorite builds because he can turn any unit into something really scary when used right.

bjt23

I figure with the support commander attached and marker drones using 2 plasmas is worth it.  Back in the day there were lots high armor infantry and everyone seemed to have one heavily armored tank.  I made a few modifications.  I was thinking about dropping the hammerhead for more jetbikes as I'm weak on objective capturing.

CoffeeGrunt

The thing with using a Support Commander on Plasma Crisis Suits is that he's better off taking two Plasma Rifles himself - four BS5 Plasma shots will definitely make Marines cry.

Stealth Suits are a very expensive way of getting Pulse fire into an army. Unless you're planning on taking a Homing Beacon to use them as a Kau'yon lure for Deep Striking Crisis Suits, I'd look elsewhere.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

The Man They Call Jayne

If you take weapons though, he cannot use his abilities. 12 shots at BS 4.5 that ignore cover are better then 4 at BS5.

bjt23

Thanks for the help you guys!  I think I'm gonna have to play a few games vassal/proxy to see how well this works before I go out and buy anything, but I'm excited!  (Although I can't imagine getting an XV104 would be a bad idea.)