News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

new guard

Started by Tactical Genius, April 12, 2014, 05:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tactical Genius

Codex released. Got it today, first impressions are very good. General points decreases across the board. Fun new units.

In conclusion, not ruined
"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

Narric

I'm mostly curious about the new stuff, before knowing about the updated.

First question would be are you referring to the MT or AM codex? :P

Mabbz

I'm going to assume this thread is for the Astra Militarum, who I shall henceforth refer to as the Guard, because the name will never stick. Here's a list of what I consider notable points:

The good:

• Vendetta is a lot more expensive and has half the transport capacity
  • General points decreases for deserving units
  • Storm trooper platoons, with officers, as an elite's choice
  • FRFSRF now affects hot shots
  • Ministorum priests can grant some special rules, and has zealot
  • Commissars don't always shoot the sergeant
  • Techpriests can grant Power of the Machine Spirit
  • Tank Commanders!
  • Advisors generally improved
  • The Deathmask of Ollanius. I only learned of Ollanius Pius recently, and I like him. The actual bit of wargear isn't bad either.
  • Manticores only lose one missilie per weapon destroyed result, not all of them
  • Deathstrikes get to fire sooner

The bad:

• No more basilisk variants
  • Rough riders haven't changed
  • Chimeras are more expensive, and while you can fire more lasguns out the back, you can't fire as many special weapons. I admit it makes sense, but I'll miss the old rules
  • Harker no longer buffs his unit
  • Priests can't take eviscerators any more (their new special rules will probably make up for this though)
  • Command squads are more expensive, and advisors can't take carapace armour

I haven't read the fluff yet, but the rules seem solid so far.

Cammerz

Quote from: Mabbz on April 12, 2014, 07:49:38 PM
  • No more basilisk variants

Does that mean there's no more Medusa?

Dammit, that was quite an expensive purchase. I pre-ordered the codex but it hasn't arrived yet so I'll get to view it on Monday, hopefully. What I'm reading here generally sounds good, two questions though;
1) Have Leman Russ's changed at all?
2) Can you still get massive units of 50 Guardsmen?

Mabbz

Yeah, no more medusa :(

As for your other questions:

1) Not that I can see, except for some points decreases
2) Yep. As far as I can see, the only changes to platoons are lower points and no special characters (Al'Rahem and Chenkov are gone)

CoffeeGrunt

Leman Russes have changed massively. They can now be taken as HQs with their own Orders and tonnes of cool rules. Pask has become a monster as well, expect this guy to be more common than Longstrike, with HQ Tank Commander status, Tank Hunters, and special rules depending on the variant of Leman Russ he's rolling around in.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Mabbz

I meant that Leman Russes as Heavy Support haven't changed. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Tactical Genius

I must admit I thought the good times were gone but I think I like this new codex. I was hoping for autocanon turrets on the chimera which we didnt get and I too will miss the special weapons shenanigans with the top hatch but it does make sense, I like that a chimera and squad can now target 4 separate units. We all saw the vendetta getting a nerf but its still effective. I must admit bullygryns look fun, and im loving HQ tanks.
"OI, Close the skylight"
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

The Man They Call Jayne

The chimera can target 4 units? What bullshittery is this?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Front Hull Weapon, Turret, Side Lasguns, and Top-hatch? :P

Tactical Genius

Front and turret weapons at onem each lasgun array can pick a different target and then the models from the top hatch can pick another.
"OI, Close the skylight"

Narric

Wow, I wasn't far off. So a Chimera could potentially have three weapons on a target in front, with its fourth Lasgun Array targeting a flanking or rear target? That sounds like how vehicles should work in my mind, I'm sorry to say ^_^;; Non of this "all vehicle weapons must target a single enemy" bull. Walkers are obviously an exception to that.

Tactical Genius

It makes sense in a vehicle like the chimera where all those guns are being individualy manned as opposed to "computer" controlled
"OI, Close the skylight"

CoffeeGrunt

The new Wyvern seems to be born to slaughter light Infantry. My Shas'la are getting a bit worried! Not to mention the sheer mass of Divination available coupled with some excellent Orders. I expect Guard to really be able to bring the pain at range, and with cheap access to Zealot, they won't be terrible at tarpitting, either.

Also, off-topic but:

QuoteHis fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

Not sure if deliberate irony...
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Mabbz

I've just started looking through the fluff sections, and one sentence caught my eye.

"Im a galaxy of never-ending warfare, what makes the perpetually outmatched men of the Imperial guard so admirable is that they know near constant fear, yet they lift their weapons, plant their feet, and fight on regardless."

That is why I collect Imperial Guard. So far, this codex looks pretty good to me fluffwise.