News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tau 1.5k O'Vesastar

Started by Alcibiates, April 17, 2014, 04:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiates

So one of my local tournament organizers really wants me to bring the hammer of O'vesa to a tournament to shut down one of his players that has been rampaging across the tournament... So here we go:

Farsight Enclave + Tau Empire Allies

HQ
O'Shovah - 165pts

O'Vesa - 305pts

Elites
Riptide - 220pts
Ion Accelerator
Target Lock
Early Warning Override
Talisman of 4d6 deny the witch

Troops
3x Crisis Suits - 99pts
Bonding Knife Ritual
6x Flamer

Solo Crisis Suit - 38pts
Bonding Knife Ritual (With himself? Silly rules)
Missile Pod

Solo Crisis Suit - 38pts
Bonding Knife Ritual
Missile Pod

Heavy Support
3x Broadsides - 270pts
Bonding Knife Ritual (the drones wish they were peoples)
Missile Mittens + SMS
6x Missile Drones

Sky Ray - 115pts

Allies:
HQ
Commander - 165pts
-Vectored Retro Thrusted
-Chip of all the good rules
-Signature system to ignore cover
-Signature system to re-roll misses
-Iridium armor (signature system of lascannons don't instakill me)

Troops
10x Kroot - 75pts
-Sniper Rounds
1 Hound

At 1490 points, if my math is correct (Doing this without a book; will double check tonight).

The last ten points get kinda awkward because the sky ray is begging for a blacksun filter which would leave the list with 9 points, which is rather useless in the Tau book.

One list option is to drop the broadsides and pick up a second sky ray and then jam a riptide into the list; it gets a bit tight on the points as you end up dropping sniper rounds and the hound from the kroot, and I think you're still a few points short.

Thoughts? Concerns? I haven't been playing much 40k lately so I don't know where this would end up.

As a side note, the event does not allow any D weapons other than Imperial Knights and Wraithknights, which are pretty rare in the event.

CoffeeGrunt

A points breakdown would be handy, to see what needs trimming and whether you've miscounted anything.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

Haven't had a chance to look at the Farsight Sup, so I assume they get XV8 as Troops?

A bit more formating to differentiate between Elite and Troop units would be good, as it all just seems to blur together in this list.

I'm a little out of practice with tau, but it mostly looks like the Farsight list doesn't have a very high output of ranged weaponry, and same could be said with the Tau Allies.

I'm sure you could write this list to not need the Tau as allies. Taking the Tau allies of entirely could easily net you more points for more XV8s with a burst cannon or two, which I think this list needs more of rather than a Support commander and a not-even-a-meat-shield unit of kroot. If you've played with this list and it works however, then I'll obvious take back my comment ;)

Alcibiates

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on April 17, 2014, 05:55:53 PM
A points breakdown would be handy, to see what needs trimming and whether you've miscounted anything.
Changed in OP

Narric:
Farsight enclave gets xv8's as troops as well as different signature systems, which denies them the usage of the core books signature systems. The allies are so that you can pick up the support commander who is key because O'vesa is an independent character, so you can join him to the other riptide to create a unit of 2 riptides. You then join the support commander and Farsight to give them ignore cover, reroll misses, choice between tank hunter and other good rules, as well as hit and run at O'Shovah's I5. Because of the signature system rules, the support commander is not available from the farsight enclave book.

The primary output of the army is from the deathstar, who puts out two ignore cover re-roll misses s8 ap2 large blasts per turn. The broadsides pick up any minor units that may live (may pick up target locks on 2 broadsides to help maximize their effectiveness). Further output of ranged weapons becomes a little redundant when you're able to pick up 2 or so units a turn from the riptide unit.

Sorry if that wasn't clear from the OP; in our crew the combo is pretty standard :P

Narric

See, I'd know that if I got to gaming with or against Tau :P Thanks for the exposition on it.

So are the Kroot Deployment Zone Campers then?

The Man They Call Jayne

Just the single Missile Pod on those Monats? For the 15 points I probably would take Plasma or Fusion. At least then you can pop a big tank for your points. Of course if all you want is to harass from a distance then the MP works I suppose. You could Twinlink them though.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Alcibiates

Quote from: Narric on April 17, 2014, 08:20:18 PM
See, I'd know that if I got to gaming with or against Tau :P Thanks for the exposition on it.

So are the Kroot Deployment Zone Campers then?
They go in reserves and pick up acute senses from the solo kroot hound. Best case scenario they actually come on turn 5.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 17, 2014, 09:27:20 PM
Just the single Missile Pod on those Monats? For the 15 points I probably would take Plasma or Fusion. At least then you can pop a big tank for your points. Of course if all you want is to harass from a distance then the MP works I suppose. You could Twinlink them though.

Because they are solo suits, they aren't really looking to do any damage. The ovesastar lists have a huge problem with keeping troops alive so the typical playstyle of the troops is to keep them on the edge of the board, bouncing between cover to stay safe. If they get a chance to pop off a shot, it can help against light armor but they typically are not going to earn their points back by doing damage.

Its certainly something that can be revised in the list, but it was the easiest starting point.

The Man They Call Jayne

With the Enclaves list I always enjoy the Warscaper Drone personally. It is kinda fun making everyone rather slow when they want to get up close to kill you.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Alcibiates

Made a couple small changes to the list and have run it four times so far:

Typing on a small keyboard so excuse the lazy formatting

HQ
O'Vesa - 305
O'Shovah Farsight - 165
     Elites
Riptide (HBC, Skyfire, Target Lock, Talisman of 4d6 deny) - 230
     Troops
3x 2x Flamer Crisis - 99
Solo single missile pod crisis - 38
Solo single missile pod crisis - 38
      Heavy
Skyray with Blacksun Filter - 116
           Allies
     HQ
Support commander (as above) - 165
     Troops
10 kroot with hound - 65
     Heavy support
3 Broadsides with 6 drones and 2 target locks - 277

So the broadsides thing is a little wonky, but I needed to find a way to find a point and it was either slide the broadsides over to the allies to pick up 3 points (from not being required to take bonding knife ritual) or turn a crisis suit into an elite instead of a troop from the farsight book and the list is very light on troops as is.

It's been... guilt-inducingly strong so far. Eldar scooped on bottom of 3, IG scooped on bottom of 2, Grey Knights tried to scoop on the top of 1, but held in there until he was fully tabled on top of 3, and a Tau player managed to live until turn 5 (stupid 2+ armor saves...).

Carrelio

I realize farsight is just the tax for O'Vesa but I'm wondering how you're using him in this list. Obviously he's your warlord, but is he running with the triple heatwaves for a super accurate suicide drop and burn or are you putting him somewhere else?

Alcibiates

He goes in the riptide unit. The way hit and run is written is that it is an initiative characteristic test. you use the highest characteristic of models in the unit for the test. Hit and run uses initiative, farsight is i5 for some insane reason. I suppose farsight with the flamer unit could be okay to not scatter, but i5 hit and run is pretty busted.