News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tau House Rules

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, April 27, 2014, 11:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

Ok, so when the codex came out, I liked it. I was annoyed by some stupid things that just didn't need to happen, and that the general feel of the army seemed to have been ignored. Accurate, Hardhitting firepower. The scalpel to IGs wrecking ball. Then the newer codexes came out and I saw them filled with powerful units and new tricks and written to their fluff and I started to feel like just maybe Vettock was trying to be too nice in his early days. So I have decided to try and put that back without going too far overboard.

I have also added some units that should have been put in, like the Hazard and the 'Cuda (Seriously, perfectly good flyer RIGHT THERE!)

This isn't exhaustive, because I know somethings are slipping my mind from the notes in my book, and not everything has a points cost because I havn't worked out if it needs changing or not yet.

I will do my best to justify these changes.

As always, thoughts and critiques welcome. Preferably not "No, thats just stupid"

Tau 6th Edition House Rules:

Armywide Rules:

Hardwired Targetting Array: All units in any class of XV Battlesuit are BS4 due to onboard targetting systems.

Weapon Discipline: All infanty units not in an XV Battlesuit (not counting Drones) may re-roll To Hit rolls of a 1 when shooting during the main shooting phase. This does not work during Overwatch.

REASONING: We are supposed to be a very shooty army with a base BS of 3? No. We know that Battlesuit mounted Targetting Arrays exist, there is no reason they would not be standard issue. Highly advanced battlesuits that can shoot no better than a Mk1 eyeball? No. BS4 it is.

Firewarriors and Pathfinders SHOULDN'T be BS4, but BS3 just doesn't seem right. This used to exist in the older Guard codex, so I am liberating it for the greater good. Only on Foot soldiers to avoid any TL BS5 trickery on Battlesuits when used with Markerlights.

Shield Generator: Back to 20 points.

REASONING: Why the 5 point jump for no good reason? They already cost a lot if you want to protect a whole unit. Honestly I would make it 15 points because they can be almost essential.

XV88 Broadside:

May exchange Secondary Weapons for more powerful capacitors, allowing uprated Railguns.
Range 60" S:10 AP:1 Heavy 1, Twin Linked. *

*Not compatible with Velocity Tracker.
Any XV88 that has not moved in its previous turn or this one, counts as T:5 for all purposes.

REASONING: GW stripped us of our real teeth for no reason I can see, beyond maybe "those big guns will murder flyers and make them worthless!" Which would be a fair argument. So if you mount the big AT guns, you cant shoot at flyers any better than anyone else. You also give up secondary weapons and become a pure tank wrecker.

As for the toughness thing, we get this nice new model that is beefy as hell, and it is STILL T4? Really? How fragile is all that new armour plating? If you dont move at all, you get to hunker down and suck up shots. I am negotiable on this however. And I can't think of an appropriate points adjustment for the unit with this on. Maybe 10?

Markerlights:

All Markerlights are Networked.
BS may only be increased by 1.

REASONING: This balances out the new accuracy boosts the army gets from the Targetting Arrays and the Weapons Discipline. Other than this they work as per codex.

Skyray (Heavy Support):

May fire 2 Seeker Missiles per turn. Does not run out of Seeker Missiles. Seekers still benefit from Markerlights.

Now costs 125 points basic.

REASONING: This thing just ISN'T a Heavy Support choice. Limited ammo, no blast ability, kinda pointless because it cannot compete with the XV88 or the Hammerhead. This set up allows it to be a good AA unit, or a good medium tank hunter with more mobility than Broadsides. Fluffwise, the missiles can be reloaded by a pair of drones in the rear bay.

Skyray (Fast Attack):

This may only be taken as a Dedicated Transport for Pathfinders. This Skyray is as per the current codex in all respects. Has a Troop Capacity of 8 Models (Not counting Recon Drone as per codex)

REASONING: The Skyray as it is kinda sucks, so why not put it where it can do a good job? With pathfinders who can actually use those missiles? And benefit from something nice and survivable to ferry them around in. They can take a Devilfish, or pay the points and take this. This one DOES have a limited stock of drones though for balance reasons.

Pathfinders:

Weapon Discipline.
Pathfinders gain Stealth USR.
May take Missile Drones as per the codex costs.

REASONING: Seriously? a 5+ save? Why? Because they are forward troops that hide in cover and spy on the enemy while pulling the army forward? Fine, so let them actually DO THAT. The Missile Drones, they never should have been taken away really. Given that these guys have access to the Ion Rifle and stuff, I am ok with this being dropped for them however, because they can take some big hitters if needs be.

Sniper Drones:

1 in 3 may exchange it's Longshot Pulse Rifle for either an Ion Rifle (10 points) or a Rail Rifle (15 points)

REASONING: WE DON'T NEED MORE 5/5 FIREPOWER! And if you are taking up a Heavy Support slot, you better have some damned guns!

Firewarriors:

Weapon Discipline.

REASONING: See Pathfinder entry. Firewarriors don't take heavy weapons in the squad, they take drones instead. The was no reason to remove them as an option ON THE FIRST DAMN DAY OF RELEASE!

Aun'Va:

Gains Shield Generator (4++) and Eternal Warrior.

125 points.

REASONING: Seriously? The ruler of the entire Tau Empire has no invun save? They didn't see the need to fit the hover throne with a Shield Generator? They have no reason for wanting to keep this guy alive? I know he has the Paradox of Duality, and thats very cool, but he is garenteed to go down to a few Boltgun rounds because he has no real armour. As for EW, of all people in this codex who should have this, it is the Master of the Undying Spirit.

Crisis Suits:

Immune to Instant Death from double strength weapons.

28 points basic.

REASONING: Making them T5 is a bit too much, but they are so vunerable to rocket sniping it isn't even funny. We get a max of 9 of these in our elite section. Less than most people single squads. They HAVE to last and this should give tham an edge of survivability against the AT guns that get thown at them.

Adding:

Barracuda Interceptor:

AV 11 11 10
Supersonic
Ion Cannon
Drone Operated Long Barrel Burst Cannons.
Maybe take upto 6 Seeker Missiles at 8 points each.

Drone Operated Long Barrel Burst Cannons deny cover/jink Saves.

140 points

XV9 Hazard Battlesuit:

As per Forgeworld current rule set.

Fast Attack.

REASONING: They fit in the codex and should have been put in there from the beginning. We didn't need these new flyers that cost too much when we had this perfect little thing just sitting there. And the Hazards are a great thing for the aggressive players, yes they can cost alot, but they can do evil amounts of damage if you use them riskily.

OK, any glaring errors or problems here? None of it seems to broken and it brings the codex up to what I think it should have been. A mobile, accurate army that can hit hard. Not big blasts that scatter everywhere like the Guard, but where you aim them. Focussing your fire until the unit is dead or crippled.

Markerlights shouldn't be an essential item in your list, but it seems that you have to play with them in order to get anything done, so I have tried to remove that reliance somewhat for those who don't like them, while still giving them a roll in the army to make it even better.

Thoughts?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

I think I can agree with most of what you're saying. Main thing really is these changes need playtesting.

With the Sky Ray, are the HS and Transports vehicles mutually exclusive? Meaning you can take Sky Rays from the HS, whilst the Transport Rays are from the Dedicated Transport. Or it is similar to Terminators and Land Raiders, or SoBs and Immolators?

Lookingnup a comparision, the changes to Aun'va seem a little daft. The ability to ignore most Melta Weapons and Plasma Guns is cool, but your opponent is going to see that and ust pepper you with basic weapons.....
Shield Generator is definately something at the very Least Aun'va should have. Maybe allow the Guard to be upgraded with more individual shields? Guard have Refractor Fields afterall, have Tau seriously not considered that eeping the Ethereal Guard alive is the same thing as keepingthe Ethereal alive?

I personally think the Sniper Drone Teams should be taken away from the HSA slot entirely, and made to be a "Detachment" from Fire Warriors and/or Pathfinders. Heck, maybe making the Sniper Drone Team a Replacement for the Shas'ui?

I am rather surprised that GW didn't include the XV9, as they have [inched units from Forge World before, and as you said would have worked well with the new Tau Codex.

Of course this could be discounted as wishlisting :P This sugestions need playtesting in real lists for their effectiveness and effects on the power level of Tau to be seen and gauged.

The Man They Call Jayne

It does indeed, and hopefully between so tourney games I have coming up I will get a chance.

I hadnt even considered making Sniper Drones troops to be honest, could certainly work. Maybe 1 of them per Firewarrior unit so people cant just spam BS5 Pulse Snipers around the place.

The Skyray for the Pathfinders would be a dedicated transport. No other way to get it. It wouldn't be a Heavy Support slot in it's own right.

The Ethereal Guard. . .I am torn on them. They aren't much special really and I would rather not have them myself, but I suppose a 5++ save wouldn't end the world. Maybe just give them ALL a 5++. Modify the Paradox of Duality to give the Aun'Va and his Guards a 5++ save that doesn't transfer to any other units he may join, in addition to its AP based thingy.

CoffeeGrunt

Personally I don't think Tau need much help, and I'm sure the internet agrees as far as power levels, but I'll have a look:

Networked Markerlights are very powerful, and complete remove unit interdependency. Why have Pathfinder teams lighting up other targets, if the NWML Drones simply light up for the squad. I actually really like the Broadside alteration - I personally think the HRR would be fine if it was S9, as 65pts for an Ap1 Lascannon with absurd range is a decent deal. Not sure about the Toughness thing, though. Maybe have an Armour Plating upgrade to boost them to T5? Being static doesn't really make sense for making them tougher.

I like the Skyray as well, it seems to be a fair upgrade for its points. The limited ammo always put me off it, it was basically there for Skyfire Markerlights, really.

Missile Drones in squads seems okay, because at BS2 with Markerlights only being able to make them BS3 at maximum, with no re-rolling of 1s and no effects from Drone Controller, they simply don't put out that scary an amount of fire. I'd actually go further, and suggest the option to give Shas'Uis Ion/Rail Rifles, for a little extra kick. Why are the expendable Pathfinders getting this kit anyway?

Worth pointing out that Longshot Pulse Rifles are SX AP5, not S5 AP5. They're snipers, so they always Wound on 4s with 6s Rending. They're actually a favourite with 3 Drones, 3 Marksmen and a nearby Ethereal. 8 BS5 Sniper Rounds at 24" is no joke against most MCs, and with 3 Marksmen you can drop 3 BS5 Markerlights for whatever's cleaning up afterwards.

Go one further on Aun'va and let him be an Independent Character? It's a travesty that the Supreme Ethereal doesn't get Look Out, Sir or even the ability to hide in Fire Warrior squads. The 4++ is an improvement, but still fairly easy to overwhelm with Lasguns.

Crisis Suit ID immunity is a bit unfair when it's a problem for so many other codices. Yes, it sucks, but I rarely have it happen and it prompts careful placement and manoeuvring to avoid those sorts of threats. The cheaper Shield Generator does enough to make these guys tougher, IMO, they're already fantastic.

Barracuda looks awesome, though you've forgotten the twin-linked Missile Pod. The Six Seeker Missiles is for the Tigershark as well, I believe. Given that Fliers can only fire 2 Missiles a turn, they're never going to fire them all before they get shot out of the sky. You also forgot their Agile rule, +1 to Jink is invaluable at keeping the buggers alive. ;)

XV9s could do with a price drop - 115pts for one with two Pulse Submunition Rifles seems a bit silly to me, and Fusion Cascades aren't much cheaper. Perhaps make the Ion gun a free "upgrade," then have the Cascades and Submunitions cost 5pts each? You're still paying 85pts for something that a Crisis Suit could do cheaper that way.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

The Man They Call Jayne

"Crisis Suit ID immunity is a bit unfair when it's a problem for so many other codices. Yes, it sucks, but I rarely have it happen and it prompts careful placement and manoeuvring to avoid those sorts of threats. The cheaper Shield Generator does enough to make these guys tougher, IMO, they're already fantastic."

My main issue here is that while other armies can get units of 10+ men, we get 3 guys. 6 wounds that can all go away in a single unfortunate volley. Even when they were making the crisis suits they found them hard to balance. They were going to be walkers originally, but they were too fragile, then they were T5 and too tough. I think this gives us a nice position between the 2.

"Worth pointing out that Longshot Pulse Rifles are SX AP5, not S5 AP5. They're snipers, so they always Wound on 4s with 6s Rending."

Ahh, duly noted then. Not so bad after all then.

"Not sure about the Toughness thing"

This stems from them being about as big and bulky as the Hazard, which is T5. Crossed with them finding a good firing position and locking everything down to become a fixed gun emplacment.

As for the Barracuda, I knew I was forgetting something, but I don't have the paperwork with me right now. Thank you.

Aun'Va, yeah, that should go without saying. Given that he is THE Ethereal, Look Out, Sir! should be an auto pass for any Tau unit (not counting Kroot or Vespid) in the same unit as him.

Markerlights, you are only likely to have 1 per squad on the Shas'Ui. This will give you BS4 if you want it, but it can't strip cover or reduce Ld or request Seekers as well. You can take 2 drones, but then you lose out on the Missile Drones and the heavy fire they offer.  But you do get to be a bit more autonomous. I think it opens up more play styles that way. I may be wrong of course.

I am also not sure why the Ion Rifles and Rail Rifles are restricted to Pathfinders. Never really made sense to me either. I am a little loathe to give the to FWs though, because heavy weapon drones are one thing, heavy weapons in the squad are another. But if it was just just the Shas'ui, the you are paying for the FW, then +10 for the Ui, then a further +10-15 for the weapon, and no possability of that Markerlight. Around 30 points for that one model. Would it be worth it?

Mabbz

Can I just point out that giving Aun'Va a 5++ save is almost completely redundant? Thanks to the Paradox, he will always have at least a 5+ save from shooting. It'd help him in combat, but if he gets in combat then he's probably screwed anyway. A 4++ is fine though, and he should definitely have eternal warrior.

Wargamer

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 28, 2014, 03:23:05 AM
My main issue here is that while other armies can get units of 10+ men, we get 3 guys. 6 wounds that can all go away in a single unfortunate volley. Even when they were making the crisis suits they found them hard to balance. They were going to be walkers originally, but they were too fragile, then they were T5 and too tough. I think this gives us a nice position between the 2.

Ahem.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 27, 2014, 11:16:17 PM
Ok, so when the codex came out, I liked it. I was annoyed by some stupid things that just didn't need to happen, and that the general feel of the army seemed to have been ignored. Accurate, Hardhitting firepower. The scalpel to IGs wrecking ball.

So you want the Tau to be a surgical strike force, yet you also want them to be able to engage in head-on slugfests without risking massive loss of functionality? Methinks you have a touch of cognitive dissonance there.

I am also not sure why the Ion Rifles and Rail Rifles are restricted to Pathfinders. Never really made sense to me either. I am a little loathe to give the to FWs though, because heavy weapon drones are one thing, heavy weapons in the squad are another. But if it was just just the Shas'ui, the you are paying for the FW, then +10 for the Ui, then a further +10-15 for the weapon, and no possability of that Markerlight. Around 30 points for that one model. Would it be worth it?
Personally, I'm against the Missile Drone as well - Firewarriors possess the most brutal squad-level dakka in the game. They have no need of heavy weapons to further their firepower. Anyone who argues "but my Firewarriors can't handle x!" clearly isn't using them right. MEQ troubling you? That's what Fireknives are for! Vehicles? Railheads and Broadsides. Massive mobs of melee units that are too numerous for you to kill? Focus-firing via multiple squads and/or a Kroot meatshield to act as speed bump.

I'm sorry to say that, in my mind, a lot of your proposed changes are totally at odds with the core concepts of the Tau. Their army, and their entire race, is about disparate elements being made stronger by working in harmony, undercut with the message that no one element can stand alone. In many respects they should work like the Eldar; every unit has one function where it excels, but is pretty terrible when out of its comfort zone.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

CoffeeGrunt

^That's the main reason why I don't like your proposed changes to Markerlights and Ballistic Skill. When working together, Tau are ridiculously good.

Also Missile Drones really only should be on Broadsides. IT was ridiculous having 3 Deathrains, a Deathrain Commander, and 6 Missile Drones putting out 28 Missile shots a turn.

Wargamer

Also, I'd like to reiterate that the Skyray is not a transport - it's an anti-aircraft missile platform. It belongs in Heavy Support, and it should not be carrying troops, unless you are suggesting an IG squad can hit a lift in a Hydra now...
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Tactical Genius

2 points. Firstly a crisis team can have 12 wounds if you want to and secondly how do you justify a battlesuit being able to shrug off a rail gun hit? If you fire anti vehicle firepower at an infantry unit it should die. The reason that crisis suites are krak magnets is because that is the most effective way to kill them, its like saying my IG tanks die too easy to railguns so we will make it so they are imume to ap1. No sorry. Other than that no real issues. However I still feel like its you as a player that needs to change not the army. You need to be more tau like and adapt to the situation.
"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

CoffeeGrunt

Aside from perhaps Eldar and the new Guard, we have the most powerful and adaptable Codex in the game right now. Everything has its place - aside from the Sharks and Vespid, IMO - and the reason I've found that Tau can be so horrible for people to fight is that you never really know how they're going to come at you.

I've played Farsight lists where everything Jetpacks, which is fluid and fun to play, making it very versatile and adaptable. I've played lists with two Riptides as an anvil, while all my Troops Outflank and attack their flimsy backfield defences while their offensive element is cut down and diverted. Hell, I could even play full gunline, or Mech lists, but I hate the former as it's so basic and powergamey, and also ignores the fluff.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

28 points basic.

REASONING: Making them T5 is a bit too much, but they are so vunerable to rocket sniping it isn't even funny. We get a max of 9 of these in our elite section. Less than most people single squads. They HAVE to last and this should give tham an edge of survivability against the AT guns that get thown at them.
I've only skimmed this so far, but this one in particular jumps out a massive no-no. Tyranids used to have this and it made things like Warriors and Zoanthropes awesome. It was removed because it caused arguments over whether it applied to just Double Toughness (ie: S8 v T4) or to Double Toughness+ (ie: Anything). What happened was you got units who could shrug of an entire army's firepower and keep coming.

Crisis suits are not that durable, they don't have the massively imposing presence of the Hive Mind forcing them on, and it's been removed once already for the sake of balance.

Also, re-rolling 1s to hit seems excessive. You have the best range, highest strength basic weapon in the game and the ability to take Markerlights etc to make them even more effective. Shooting got a massive boost in 6th as well. Tau do not need further improvements with regards to shooting. Adding things like Stealth to Pathfinders however is fine.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Charistoph

Hardwired Targetting Array: All units in any class of XV Battlesuit are BS4 due to onboard targetting systems.

REASONING: We are supposed to be a very shooty army with a base BS of 3? No. We know that Battlesuit mounted Targetting Arrays exist, there is no reason they would not be standard issue. Highly advanced battlesuits that can shoot no better than a Mk1 eyeball? No. BS4 it is.

So, you wouldn't put this in a unit with a Suit Commander, right?  Oh, what's the price?  Or is it default like Multitrackers?  Balancing the Suit BS is tricky because of the Marklight mechanic.  Change or remove the mechanic, and I'm all for it.  Maybe if it was just left as an upgrade as before instead of a standard default?

Weapon Discipline: All infanty units not in an XV Battlesuit (not counting Drones) may re-roll To Hit rolls of a 1 when shooting during the main shooting phase. This does not work during Overwatch.

Firewarriors and Pathfinders SHOULDN'T be BS4, but BS3 just doesn't seem right. This used to exist in the older Guard codex, so I am liberating it for the greater good. Only on Foot soldiers to avoid any TL BS5 trickery on Battlesuits when used with Markerlights.[/quote]

So, they all get Master-Crafted/partial Preferred Enemy?  Again, part of this is due to the Markerlight mechanic.  It's a very touchy thing and can be abused quickly.

Shield Generator: Back to 20 points.

REASONING: Why the 5 point jump for no good reason? They already cost a lot if you want to protect a whole unit. Honestly I would make it 15 points because they can be almost essential.

Just because something is "essential" doesn't mean it should be cheaper.  That being said, Space Marines get the more powerful Storm Shield for cheaper...

XV88 Broadside:

May exchange Secondary Weapons for more powerful capacitors, allowing uprated Railguns.
Range 60" S:10 AP:1 Heavy 1, Twin Linked. *

*Not compatible with Velocity Tracker.
Any XV88 that has not moved in its previous turn or this one, counts as T:5 for all purposes.

REASONING: GW stripped us of our real teeth for no reason I can see, beyond maybe "those big guns will murder flyers and make them worthless!" Which would be a fair argument. So if you mount the big AT guns, you cant shoot at flyers any better than anyone else. You also give up secondary weapons and become a pure tank wrecker.

As for the toughness thing, we get this nice new model that is beefy as hell, and it is STILL T4? Really? How fragile is all that new armour plating? If you dont move at all, you get to hunker down and suck up shots. I am negotiable on this however. And I can't think of an appropriate points adjustment for the unit with this on. Maybe 10?

I like the first part, (though keep them standard Railguns).  However, I disagree on the second.  There really isn't a "hunkering down" mechanic that increases a model's T in the game, as yet.  Stealth would be more appropriate, as it's akin to "Going To Ground" without the deficit.

Markerlights:

All Markerlights are Networked.
BS may only be increased by 1.

REASONING: This balances out the new accuracy boosts the army gets from the Targetting Arrays and the Weapons Discipline. Other than this they work as per codex.

Now, there needs to be more options of Networked Markerlights, but not all of them, it's just too powerful to do that with, even with the limitations on the BS (though, that would make for a better argument for the above BS changes).  In addition, there would need to be something else added to make it worth it, really.  Maybe like 2 Tokens to make the unit Twin-Linked.

Skyray (Heavy Support):

May fire 2 Seeker Missiles per turn. Does not run out of Seeker Missiles. Seekers still benefit from Markerlights.

Now costs 125 points basic.

REASONING: This thing just ISN'T a Heavy Support choice. Limited ammo, no blast ability, kinda pointless because it cannot compete with the XV88 or the Hammerhead. This set up allows it to be a good AA unit, or a good medium tank hunter with more mobility than Broadsides. Fluffwise, the missiles can be reloaded by a pair of drones in the rear bay.

This both limits and extends its usability.  I'd say no to the 2 Missiles, as it's obvious it has 6 on there and they aren't Manticore/Deathstrike class missiles.  Similar to previous wishlists, just have it reload 2D3 Missiles every turn would be best.

Skyray (Fast Attack):

This may only be taken as a Dedicated Transport for Pathfinders. This Skyray is as per the current codex in all respects. Has a Troop Capacity of 8 Models (Not counting Recon Drone as per codex)

REASONING: The Skyray as it is kinda sucks, so why not put it where it can do a good job? With pathfinders who can actually use those missiles? And benefit from something nice and survivable to ferry them around in. They can take a Devilfish, or pay the points and take this. This one DOES have a limited stock of drones though for balance reasons.

1. It's too tough.  Really.  2. You'd have to remove the Skyfire options from the tank.  3. Pathfinders can't use Seekers anymore.

Better solution: The Devil Ray: Devilfish hull (with same stats), with Sky Ray wing that comes with 6 Seekers and no reloads, 2 NMLs, and 6 Capacity.  Boom, a Tau Razorback.  Just need a way to differentiate it from a regular Sky Ray...

Pathfinders:

Weapon Discipline.
Pathfinders gain Stealth USR.

REASONING: Seriously? a 5+ save? Why? Because they are forward troops that hide in cover and spy on the enemy while pulling the army forward? Fine, so let them actually DO THAT. The Missile Drones, they never should have been taken away really. Given that these guys have access to the Ion Rifle and stuff, I am ok with this being dropped for them however, because they can take some big hitters if needs be.

A 5+ AS with Stealth could work.  In my GNW codex, I did the same thing for my Infiltrators (though Pathfinders are Scouts).  I also disagree with the Missile Drones.  They aren't really "sneaky" enough to fit.  Sniper Drones would be an excellent and perfect alternative, though.

Sniper Drones:

1 in 3 may exchange it's Longshot Pulse Rifle for either an Ion Rifle (10 points) or a Rail Rifle (15 points)

REASONING: WE DON'T NEED MORE 5/5 FIREPOWER! And if you are taking up a Heavy Support slot, you better have some damned guns!

Drones don't get weapon upgrades, though.  That's part of the problem.  Maybe have them as 2 more Drone options, instead that the unit can upgrade with?  Obviously, these new Drones would be options for Pathfinders, too.  As someone pointed out, though, they'd be better as an option to be purchased with each Fire Warrior and/or Pathfinder team instead of HS.

Firewarriors:

Weapon Discipline.

REASONING: See Pathfinder entry. Firewarriors don't take heavy weapons in the squad, they take drones instead. The was no reason to remove them as an option ON THE FIRST DAMN DAY OF RELEASE!

Agreed on the Missile Drones here.  It fits for front-line troops.

Crisis Suits:

28 points basic.

No.  It's too drastic a change, as nice as it would be.

Maybe as an alternative, 2S ID only works on To-Wound rolls of 3+?  The Broadsides can then "Hunker Down" to reduce it to a 4+?  (In other words, if the Krak Missile hits and Wounds on a 2, no ID, but it rolls a 3, pink mist).

Adding:

Barracuda Interceptor:
XV9 Hazard Battlesuit:

GW has strayed away from putting FW stuff in codex for some time now (although, they should just go ahead and do it and save everyone a headache).  I don't expect them to change any time soon, especially as they'll just say, "run it from those books".
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

The Man They Call Jayne

"The Devil Ray: Devilfish hull (with same stats), with Sky Ray wing that comes with 6 Seekers and no reloads, 2 NMLs, and 6 Capacity.  Boom, a Tau Razorback.  Just need a way to differentiate it from a regular Sky Ray..."

That has just reminded me of something I forgot.

Allow the Devilfish to take a TL/2 Battlesuit weapons on a turret mount on the cupola area. Same points cost as on the XV8s. Like a Razorfish. I know the new SMS system is nice, and frankly undercosted on the Hammer Head and Skyray, but the Devilfish just lacks hitting power.

Tactical Genius

I do feel the baracuda should have been included and pathfinders should have stealth. I also agree with the devilray and the razorfish.
"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.