News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Mobile Forum Browsing

Started by Narric, April 27, 2016, 11:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Currently writing this on a smallish smartphone.

Browsing the forum os dificult due to t
not resizing for my screen. Any advice from other mobile browsing members?

I vaguely remember Tapatalk being discussed for this, but then I'd need help with getting apps :-P

Irisado

Tapatalk does not play nicely with SMF, so that's not likely to be a great solution.  The next version of SMF will have a responsive default theme, so that ought to solve the problem.  In the meantime, there is a mod which can help for the current version: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=535718.0.  You could try to persuade Sorck to install it ;).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Narric

I'd best go poke him then :P

Is there anything I can do my end? Or am I going to have to resize each page as I go?

Irisado

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a definitive answer, but I do not believe that there is much you can do.  Sorck's the person to ask about this though.  He knows a lot more about the inner workings of SMF than I do :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Sorck

Quote from: Irisado on April 27, 2016, 04:44:46 PM
The next version of SMF will have a responsive default theme, so that ought to solve the problem.

Oh I do hope it's better than when I last looked at it...

I've never had much of a problem myself on small display devices but it's rare I use a display below 8" so may not notice it so readily.

I'll have a look into responsive curve again. I think I didn't get along with it last time I tried to use it so I'll have to give it a good check before I consider installing it.

Narric

If it helps you any, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 :P

I tweaked some of my Internet Browser settings that adjust website resolution on the fly, and it has helped slightly with the forum. I've also disabled Avatars and Sigs on my forum profile, so that is less for the phone to load up and display as well.

Not a great deal better, but more bearable than before for me on such a small screen.

Sorck

It turns out we still have Tapatalk installed so you might be able to run the Tapatalk app - it's not a perfect experience but it should allow you to do basic browsing of the forum easily (and you receive push notifications for things like personal messages IIRC).