News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Spam Account

Started by Irisado, April 30, 2014, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cammerz

Quote from: Narric on November 08, 2014, 06:39:08 PM
The problem is the Spam accouts that actually appear when they post into random topics, thus eliminating being identified by having 0posts. they also seem to just signup, spam, then disappear again.

Looks like another one showed up this morning, what's the point in them? They aren't even trying to make us buy things, steal our bank account details or download viruses onto our computers.

Sorck

Narric, if you see a suspected bot then you can add them to the "Kroot-bot" group - it should then make them obvious in the user list.

Quote from: Cammerz on November 15, 2014, 04:35:15 PM
Quote from: Narric on November 08, 2014, 06:39:08 PM
The problem is the Spam accouts that actually appear when they post into random topics, thus eliminating being identified by having 0posts. they also seem to just signup, spam, then disappear again.

Looks like another one showed up this morning, what's the point in them? They aren't even trying to make us buy things, steal our bank account details or download viruses onto our computers.
They could potentially start up en-mass I suppose later on.

Narric

Not seeing any clear options to put people into that group :-\

Sorck

In a couple of weeks I have some time off so will look at rebuilding the code base to include some more anti-spam mods then. :)

Narric

Found the Groups page after posting that, and forogot to update my post :P

Mabbz

A couple more just turned up :P

Out of curiosity, how many active moderators do we have that can deal with them? Is it just you two?

Thantos

Semi active, but busy up to my ears with work.

Maybe we should buy the TO domain back xD return to the glory days, we had an exodus, lets have an enterus? :P

Sorck

Quote from: Thantos on November 26, 2014, 01:01:10 PM
Maybe we should buy the TO domain back xD return to the glory days, we had an exodus, lets have an enterus? :P
That would be expensive. :P

Though we could find an amusing selection of themed domain names.

Narric

Quote from: Mabbz on November 26, 2014, 12:46:03 PM
A couple more just turned up :P

Out of curiosity, how many active moderators do we have that can deal with them? Is it just you two?
Yeah, just Sorck and I. I believe a few of the old guard still have priviledges, but they're often having a life so don't return.

Irisado

The solution is to stop them registering in the first place, as that would save any active moderators the work of having to ban/delete them and delete their posts.  That's why I suggested adding some of the anti-spam mods SMF offers.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Sorck

In 8 days I will be in the position to make said changes. :)

Narric

I'll boot the known spammers in the Kroot-bot group for the time being. Better to do them in lots rather than one at a time :P

The Man They Call Jayne

Not sure if this "Leayhuiz" account is genuine. Saw a nonsensical reply to a thread from 2 years ago. But couldn't check the other posts due to "high server load" somehow.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Their posts have been deleted and a standardized message sent to them. If they're a genuine person, they'll either decide to leave becuase I deleted their posts, or they'll start fresh correctly.
If they're a bot, this'll be the last we hear of them :P

The Man They Call Jayne

Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4