News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

7th Edition WTFs??

Started by BigToof, May 26, 2014, 06:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
I wanted to post this up, as I haven't seen anyone do a full review of 7th.
I've had a chance to play a few games and I have to say that although most of the book is clear, there are some things that make you scratch your head.
So, as in last edition, I wanted to make this post a place where you can post questions on general mechanics and just comments on things you've run into or thought about.  I hope that once that FAQs come out it'll be clearer, but I hope this will be a good place to start asking.

So, here are mine:

1)  Malefic Daemonology
Possession and Summoning are Conjuration powers, but the whole mechanic seems to be different?  Are the units scoring?  (in 6th they were not)  Has anyone run into any real problems with conjuring-heavy lists?  I've played against a few and they folded pretty easy in assault.  Plus, deep-striking 10 models within 12" of your units is kind of dangerous if you don't have icons (most 6th Ed. lists didn't have any...)

2) Flamers wound passengers in open-topped vehicles
I find this sort of eye-rollingly annoying as an Ork and DE player, but I suppose it is sort of fair...  Has anyone been burned by this yet?

3) Battle Brothers can ride in each others' vehicles
I have yet to get a Raider full of banshees or a Stormraven full of Seraphim, but it's nice to know the possibilities are there...  Has anyone tried this out yet?

4) Challenges are more "open"
Now that the whole "cheerleader" mechanic is gone, you can allocate wounds to the challengers if all other possible targets for your attacks are not present.  It works out pretty well still...

5) Vehicles are harder to destroy
Well, vehicles are harder to one-shot, mostly as you need a 7 on the table now.  Mass S7 shots still seem to work though.

6) Jink saves cause snap shots next round
Only a real problem with Wave Serpents.  Actually sort of improves small Jet Bikes squads as they can get 4+ saves even if not turbo-boosting.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

The Man They Call Jayne

I would have said Jinks causing snap shots is a problem for everyone with skimmers. At least Eldar can Laser Lock with the right gear.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

salamut2202

Flyring monstrous creatures really pinch quite a bit. I know the nid players have had the short ends of a few sticks but wow, tyrants and crones are starting to infiltrate my nightmares.

Waaaghpower

For the Battle Brother vehicles thing... Not many armies are BB now. The Imperium are with each other, CSM and Daemons, and Eldar/DE. That's it.

Other than potential abuse on the Daemonology tree (We'll have to wait and see), I feel like 7th ed is a really well-done ruleset. They fixed the most broken builds without kneecapping entire armies, and now took a huge step towards rewarding people for taking mixed lists. (One lone Psyker has more individual punch than ten. Bringing one is alwaya good, ten... Less so.) Screamerstar is mostly dead, too, which is awesome. So is Wave Serpent spam. Destroyer Weapons are significantly less OP.

We'll have to wait and see, of course. My money is on Daemonology being a little OP, but too risky to consistently win tournaments. Like 6th ed Screamerstar. (Getting three 4+'s consistently is hard unless you have lots of dice, which means you can't cast as many powers.) Maybe something else OP will come out of the woodwork. Roght now I'm optomistic.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Pottsey

Interceptor drones can no longer shoot overcharged weapons and any target, ground or air. A blast weapon that has to snip fire at everything.

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Pottsey on May 27, 2014, 06:05:40 PM
Interceptor drones can no longer shoot overcharged weapons and any target, ground or air. A blast weapon that has to snip fire at everything.
Every ruleset has anachronisms. I'm still waiting for something to do with my Rune Priest's Wolftooth Necklace or my Grey Hunter's acute senses. Or my Grot's ability to clear a minefield.

Charistoph

Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 27, 2014, 06:09:44 PM
Every ruleset has anachronisms. I'm still waiting for something to do with my Rune Priest's Wolftooth Necklace or my Grey Hunter's acute senses. Or my Grot's ability to clear a minefield.

Well, the new FAQs are up: http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

Wolftooth Necklace is mentioned under Errata, giving a possible bonus To-Hit in Assault.  Looks like the Acute Senses will have to wait till the codex (no surprise there).

No changes to Interceptor Drones noted.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Charistoph on May 28, 2014, 03:58:43 AM
Quote from: Waaaghpower on May 27, 2014, 06:09:44 PM

Well, the new FAQs are up: http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

Wolftooth Necklace is mentioned under Errata, giving a possible bonus To-Hit in Assault.  Looks like the Acute Senses will have to wait till the codex (no surprise there).

No changes to Interceptor Drones noted.
Sorry, I meant the amulet thing that basically gave a 5+ DTW.

Either way, the new FAQ for Space Wolves sucks... All our spells are gone, Rune Priests lost their 4+ bubble for Admantium Will by any other name, general suckitude. I guess if you ally in soneone with real Admantium Will you could get a 3+ DTW, but this now only works against spells cast on him. With no Psychic Hood, and no ability to effect blessings, Rune Priests are now worse at Psychic defense than Librarians.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Narric

We know Orks are first up for Codex update, so Space Wolves could easily be the first Imperial codex.

I personally just want GW to sell the Rules book seperately, becuase thats all I really need :P

Charistoph

It's possible that Wolves are the next Imperium codex, but some rumors place the Blood Angels in that spot.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

BA and SWs have fairly distinct Psychic inclinations. Whichever comes first will give us an idea of what the other might be like.

Waaaghpower

Something interesting I just realized, that's a slight buff to Tyranids most of all:
Every single Tyranid psyker always gets Dominion for free, regardless of his rolls. Always. There are no Tyranid Psykers who will have less than 2 powers from now on.

Kur'os

Nightfighting took a hit.  Yes, it's less complicated ( everyone gets Stealth ); but now armies like Tau have to be mindful of actually getting shot back at when it's dark out.  :/

The Vector Strike and Smash changes made me smile.  Not to mention the Swooping --> Glinding --> Assault delay for FMCs.  I might actually be able to beat my local Daemon flying circus player now... 

-Kur'os

Narric

Nightfighting confering stealth onto everybody is ridiculous imo. Will it doesn't bother none stealth optioned races (Orks and Nids spring to mind) for armies like Tau and Space Marine Scouts, it kinda raises the question of whats the point of having the Stelath usr to begin with. A flat "+1 to cover save" for the first turn would make more sense, becuase a Stealth & Shrouded unit should technically be evene harder to hit at night.

Grrr, when will the Rulebook book be on eBay? I need them rules in front of me, as all this heresay about what rules are doing now is getting annoying. And no, I can't afford the triple book set :P