News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Shadowsun Infiltration Cadre - Supplement Codex

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, May 30, 2014, 12:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

What with the new unbound thing going on, I would rather like to field a full Shadowsun led XV25 army. They have been mentioned before in fluff, and they could be fun to play.

However this thread is more for idea on a fully fledged Supplement codex based on the idea. The key aspect here is mobility, stealth field generators and precise firepower.

Naturally, Shadowsun is a required HQ.

As the Steath Cadres were mentioned in fluff to be for hunting down leaders and causing disarray I am thinking of a few extra rules.

"When targetting a unit that contains or comprises of Independant Charatcers, the firing unit gains the Precise Shot special rule"

"Enemy units who are falling back suffer -2 to leadership when trying to regroup as they have no idea where their unseen enemy lies"

Im also thinking that XV25s would have access to more weapons, still restricted to 1 in 3 suits though. Open up the Plasma Rifle (maybe), Rail Rifle and Ion Rifle for the points listed in the Tau Codex.

Any other thoughts and ideas that fit in with the fluff?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

CoffeeGrunt

Allow Stealth Shas'vres to take Signature Systems, and make them items that disrupt the enemy and such. Perhaps something like the Neuroweb Jammer, a weapon that grants Haywire, stuff like that.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

The Man They Call Jayne

Signature Systems:

An XV25 Shas'Vre may equip a single Signature System. This does not take up the suits hardpoints.

High Intensity EMP generator. 25 points.

This high powered EMP generator is based on the Taus EMP grenades and scaled up. Instead of using his weapon, the Shas'Vre may activate the generator which will cause every vehicle, friend or foe within 6" to suffer a single Haywire hit. Using the generator however causes the XV25s Stealth Field Generator to need to be recalibrated and will not function for the turn after the EMP is used. Any XV25s caught in the blast will lose their Stealth Field Generators for a turn, even if they are from different squads.

CoffeeGrunt

I like it, risk and reward. Some others may be handy for when you 'spring the trap,' as the Supplement could be very geared towards a Kau'yon playstyle.

One, small note: It may be worth just noting the "Stealth Field Generator" as being disabled, as this is the universal item that gives the Stealth/Shrouded special rules. Using XV25 means Shadowsun would be immune, as she rolls in an XV22. (Petty nitpick, I know, but you know what players can be like!)

I think maybe having a generic Commander in XV22 armour would be cool, with the option to tool up like a normal Commander. Maybe even add rules for Shas'O Kais? A Stealth Commander with say, Plasma Rifles would be a very cool and unique way to play.

The Man They Call Jayne

True enough. All Stealth Field Generators then.

XV22 Commander: 65 Points.

BS:5 WS:4 S:4 T:3 I:4 A:4 Sv:3+ Ld:10

The XV22 has 3 hardpoints and can mount 2 weapons from the following (all prices as given in the Tau Codex):

Plasma Rifle
Rail Rifle
Ion Rifle
Fusion Blaster
Burst Cannon

It's Advanced Target Lock allows it to fire each weapon at a different target. If the XV22 is in a unit, one weapon must be at the same target as the rest of the unit.

The XV22 also fits a Stealth Field Generator.

An XV22 commander may fit 2 Signature Systems that do not take up Hardpoints.

Narric

Isn't the XV22 Shadowsuns personal experimental Stealth Suit? If you're going for an unnamed stealth commander, most normally go with an XV3 (See Dawn of War) iirc it could take a shoulder mounted Missile Pod system, but to represent a smaller system, it could esseitally be a one-shot weapon designed for tank hunting?

Also, what about Stealth Troops? Like Pathfinders with Camo Cloaks and "Sniper Rifles" for long range anti-personal fire support, for whilst the Stealth suits are charging/DS'ing towards the enemy?

The Man They Call Jayne

Yeah, the second 2 does denote experimental status. I suppose it would end up an XV25-2 or something. 5 being the code for Stealth.

This army would have very little in the way of long range. 18 to 30 inches is all they will get. The Rail Rifles will be the big anti MC heavy Infantry weapons. They are meant to get up closer and be a major annoyance.

I am thinking that, as a way to show them being so experienced, units that do not have Shadowsuns warlord trait affecting them, XV25 teams can re-roll one of their Thrust Move dice. This should keep them highly mobile all the time, letting them flank reliably.

I suppose Pathfinders COULD be an option, but they lack the mobility. Maybe modified Tetras. Small, easily concealable and able to provide reliable Marker support.

Narric

How about XV32? A Stealth suit with experimental onboard command suite like a modified C&C Node, and improved armour? Allows for two ranged weapons and one support system.

If you don't want Pathfinders, why not XV15 units? Cheaper then XV25s, sacrificing a small amount of protection for greater mobility, by maybe rolling 3d6 for their thrust move and picking the highest or an extra D6 for thrust depending on which fits the rules better.

The Man They Call Jayne

XV15s could work. 1 weapon, no support systems. SFG, no access to Signature Systems. 1 special weapon per 3. Have access to Suit mounted Markerlights.

25 points each maybe?

CoffeeGrunt

I think Shas'vres should have access to Sig Systems. Another cool touch would be to get a unit of Stealth Shas'vres as Bodyguards for Shadowsun if she's bought, perhaps with +1BS to show their Elite status.

The Man They Call Jayne

The problem with the 15 getting Signature Systems is that it is pretty much Troop Armour with a bit more beef to it. There isn't really any space or power for such a thing.

Elite 25s could be an option. Extra 5pts per model. Auto Pass the Look Out Sir! Roles, so Sworn Protector.

CoffeeGrunt

QuoteAuto Pass the Look Out Sir! Roles, so Sworn Protector.

Shadowsun gets that when she's with XV25s anyhoo.

I meant XV25 Shas'vres, sorry. I never ran the old Codex that had XV15s in it.