?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: Sons of Corvane - A Chapter Under Development  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
Sons of Corvane - A Chapter Under Development
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
Hey all.
As you've probably all seen, I'm working on a chapter of Space Marines, I figured, rather than have lots of scattered threads here there and everywhere, I should condense it into one thread... So, here goes!

The Sons of Corvane
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll hopefully add to this soon... Showcase coming up!

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
Re: Sons of Corvane - A Chapter Under Development
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
Aquillion Tauros, Chapter Master and 'Meshiah' of Tarshish Prime..

Chief Librarian Israel Holstaed

Tactical Squad Navaaro

Master of Sanctity Garviel Landros

Currently I'm working on a unit of Vanguard veterans and a Storm Raven Gunship...
Look forward to your comments!

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »
They're looking quite good. :) I like the cream/red contrast. A bit of edge highlighting on the armour wouldn't go amiss as it looks a little 'flat' at the moment.

Which ink/wash/shade/whatever they're called these days did you use on the armour?

I'd personally prefer that the mould lines/joins were smoothed out/filled in. It makes models look much better close up.

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »
Thanks for the comment, I agree on the mould lines etc... I think I may have just gotten lazy when it came to constructing those tactical marines... It is something I am trying to bring myself round to doing, but I doubt I'd redo this ones...

The wash is simply Agrax Earthshade. I do a single coat of Bestial Brown (or what ever its called these days) and then two coats of Agrax before highlighting with Bestial again... The highlights are there, they're subtle, and look better IRL, but I'll definately work on getting them a bit brighter still...

Small update on the fluff! I'll stick it here and then update the OP too...
Pics of my 'Sky Striker Stormraven' to come perhaps over the weekend too!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »
Another fluff update...

A little bit on the close ties with the Ecclesiarchy. This is a core theme to the Sons of Corvane and its giving me the opportunity to try lots of cool ideas out! I can't wait to show you my Stormraven, its a bit of a relic itself!

The Sons and the Ecclesiarchy:
The Sons of Corvane maintain an especially strong link with the Ecclesiarchy, at the time of his appointment, Aquillion Tauros led the Sons in prayers for mankind. An entire week was given over to sacrifices and prayer as the thanked the Emperor for delivering them from the Tyranid menace and reconnecting them with the Imperium. The Arch-Deacon of the Segmentum Augustus was present and declared many of the items of wargear used by the surviving native warriors as holy relics and blessed the heads of those who remained in the chapter from the founding days. From this day onwards, the Chapter celebrates an annual festival of prayer and tribute to the Ecclesiarchy. In recognition of their piety, the Ecclesiarchy maintains a priesthood within the ranks of the Sons, these priests serve as serfs to the Chaplaincy and will often fight on the battlefield alongside their Astartes companions.

Whilst the Chaplaincy of the Sons of Corvane act similar to those of other Chapters, they also serve a further role within the Sons. The role of Chaplain is one which sergeants may be elected to fill. If their individual faith is deemed suitable and they so wish, the sergeant may be inducted in to the Chaplaincy. They will maintain the role of Sergeant on the battlefield whilst also being responsible for the spiritual welfare of their squad. It is not uncommon for veteran squads to be led by Chaplain Sergeants in this manner, after all, all that an Astartes witnesses on the battlefield can only boost their faith.

Often the Sons of Corvane will be tasked with the recovery of Holy Relics and artefacts in the name of the Emperor. To this end, Manneus Tycho is hunting the Ghoul Stars for relics from previous campaigns. This duty does not come without its demands, often the Sons are sent on missions which would be deemed far too risky, even for Astartes, however, and time and again the Sons have proven themselves. They have become the masters of lightning quick strikes, inserting, retrieving and extracting their quarry before the enemy can even understand what it happening.   

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »
Thanks for the comment, I agree on the mould lines etc... I think I may have just gotten lazy when it came to constructing those tactical marines... It is something I am trying to bring myself round to doing, but I doubt I'd redo this ones...
I noticed that I'd missed doing anything about mould lines over an entire IG squad which was rather annoying, especially as I'd already done most of their painting, so I just left them... hoping nobody else would notice. :P

The wash is simply Agrax Earthshade. I do a single coat of Bestial Brown (or what ever its called these days) and then two coats of Agrax before highlighting with Bestial again... The highlights are there, they're subtle, and look better IRL, but I'll definately work on getting them a bit brighter still...
I've not had any darkish brown washes for a long time which has limited my effects. I've got an old Ogryn Flesh but that's fairly light and seems to have a little bit of a red effect as well as being brown. I suppose that's good for flesh but it's not that good for clothes and the like which are more yellowy than red.

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 11:37:34 AM »
I've not had any darkish brown washes for a long time which has limited my effects. I've got an old Ogryn Flesh but that's fairly light and seems to have a little bit of a red effect as well as being brown. I suppose that's good for flesh but it's not that good for clothes and the like which are more yellowy than red.

I practically live off of the Washes... My painting has improved vastly since I started using them...

Here are some pics of my first Sky Striker Stormraven... See the House Rules section for the basic concept.
They trade the capacity to transport a dreadnought for an additional TL Las Cannon with a 360 arc of fire...
I think I prefer the slightly lower profile afforded by not using the turret provided in the kit... I may need to invest in trying to figure out different builds for the SR!

Hope you like!

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 04:22:59 PM »
I just found out that GW now have a Mournfang Brown Spray! This has made me far happier than it should... Will make painting much faster if I can prime with the primary colour!

Hopefully I'll pick some up this weekend and crack on with my vanguard vets. Also working on some Centurian Alternatives...

Any thoughts on the recent fluff upset about the chaplaincy?

Online Narric

• Daemon Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »
OK, thats looks like a really cool Stormraven. Extra 30pts should be alright for a Front Arc only weapon system. Opponents consent of course ;)

I may need to re-read everything but the fluff was pretty good in my book for your chapter ;)

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »
Sorry, just noticed your reply @Narric
Thanks, as I say, I much prefer the lower turret, it looks less like a flying brick and more like a baby thunderhawk. I want to try it with a razorback turret too, thAt may be next on my list.

Sorry about lack of pics recently, my laptop is still under the weather, meaning pictures are out of the question. I've sprayed the vanguard and some terminator I found knocking around the place, working on these at the moment, next for construction is a unit of bikes (need to be altered a bit as they're the ones from DV, and I want to give one a grab gun).

Next to purchase are:
3 thunderbird cannons ( I only really want the tracked carriages...)
3 grav cannons and amps
A unit of cataracti terminators from FW
A relic Contemptor dread from FW.
Not all in one pop, but I'd like to owns these to add to my to do pile by the end of play in September...

See you all soon!

Online Narric

• Daemon Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »
I guessed you'd missed my reply :P

Hope you can recover/replace your laptop soon :)

"Thunderbird Cannons"
Best typo I've seen on the forum recently :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:13:09 PM by Narric »

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »
Damon kindle auto correct is worse than IOS ...

Laptop should be going to hospital this weekend... it's been a case of prioritising income recently...

Offline Chris

• Shas'El
  • Karma 14
  • I'm Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 05:08:16 PM »
I have my laptop back! which means..... PICTURES  8o 8o 8o

So I've nearly finished my first Centurian. If you're on the facebook page, you'll have probably already seen it, but here it is on the forum now... I'll try and give a parts breakdown to go with it too... Any thoughts you have and fancy sharing would be sweet too!

So, to my knowledge, the parts are as follows:
Thunderfire Cannon tracked carriage
Top Turret from Storm Raven along with servitor pilot (will also be a windscreen once painted)
Centurian Grav Cannon and Amp
Dreadnought shin guards and gun housing
A few Landspeeder parts dotted around for good measure too.

Fairly expensive, but now I know roughly what Im looking for, the other two should be relatively easy to source individual parts...

Again, working on the Vanguards, hopefully will have pics of those soon, also got 2 bike squads and a bike captain and Master of the Forge on bike undercoated and ready for washing.. Pics of those soon too!

anything
anything