News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Dealing with Gargantuan creatures

Started by KCKitsune, June 03, 2014, 07:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCKitsune

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on June 04, 2014, 10:51:42 PM
It's an old unit, but it has been updated.

This blog gives you a run down. Post is a few entries down. http://collectingtau.blogspot.co.uk/
Other than WD#336, is there another place to find the rules for these things?  It sounds EXACTLY like what I need to get rid of those darn super nasties!
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

The Man They Call Jayne

Other than that, no. But you might be able to find something on a torrent or something. If you were the kind of twisted human being who would stoop to illegal downloads which we fully condemn.

" Area Denial Nodes are connected to each other and can combine their shots to increase the effect. Declare that you will shoot with two or more Area Denial Nodes a Coordinated Shooting before announcing the hit-rolls and select a target. Only Solid shots can be made. Now make your hit-rolls. If two or more Area Denial Nodes score a hit then those Area Denial Nodes get the special rule "Titan Killer"."

It's a translation from the French. But this ability is basically the entire point of the unit. So you choose to coordinate fire with 3 ADNs, you get 2 hits, those 2 hits are now Strength D. I used to run 4 of these things back when they cost less. But in Apoc I would still run 4 now. it would set you back about 650 points for all 4, but you can put Broadsides in them for extra shots.

EDIT: Scratch that, I think they are in the 2013 Apoc book.

I wouldn't count on being able to fit Velocity Trackers and newer gear though.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Kur'os

I actually EBay'd the above mentioned WD some time ago to get the ADN.  A great unit in my opinion, but trickly to size appropriately...

Otherwise, I believe they have 6 hull points, not structure points.  The "tripling" mentioned is likely referencing the SP to HP ratio that was introduced a while back...

Unfortunately, to get any milage out of the ADN's point attack rule, you'd have to play an 'unbound' list.  The ADN is at is a single super-heavy and would therefore take up the single Lord of War slot allotted (unless you run a double / triple org list, but that'd be more complicated that anything).

An unbound list would be able to accommodate the 2+ ADNs required to get the Str D hits.  And, with a lucky roll, a single Str D can drop a Trancentdant C'Tan.  >:]

Would have been great to see this as a new kit or at least referenced in Stonghold Assault...  T-T

-Kur'os

CoffeeGrunt

Hmmmm, that's a pretty old unit. I'd probably be fine in casual games, but I'd need the WD in hand for some concrete proof.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

KCKitsune

Quote from: Kur'os on June 05, 2014, 05:42:45 AMUnfortunately, to get any milage out of the ADN's point attack rule, you'd have to play an 'unbound' list.  The ADN is at is a single super-heavy and would therefore take up the single Lord of War slot allotted (unless you run a double / triple org list, but that'd be more complicated that anything).

An unbound list would be able to accommodate the 2+ ADNs required to get the Str D hits.  And, with a lucky roll, a single Str D can drop a Trancentdant C'Tan.  >:]
Considering that I don't want to spend a bajillion dollars for a Tigershark or, God Forbid, a Manta.  I would spend the points in a heartbeat because I need to be able to get rid of cheating ass crap like a transcendent C'Tan and Wall of Martyrs.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

CoffeeGrunt

Remember that D Weapons don't ignore Invulns except on a 6 now. The C'Tan will be laughing your shots off on a 3+ most of the time...

The Man They Call Jayne

But you also do Multiple wounds per hit don't you? D3 or D6 or something? only 1 or 2 shots need to get through.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

CoffeeGrunt

You'll get two turns of fire maximum before it wrecks the ADNs, though. :/

KCKitsune

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on June 06, 2014, 07:42:25 AMRemember that D Weapons don't ignore Invulns except on a 6 now. The C'Tan will be laughing your shots off on a 3+ most of the time...
Math Hammer is on my side with this one.  I would make him make so many saves that he'll pop.

CoffeeGrunt

Remember that as Superheavies these explode massively, and will be in your deployment zone.

Kur'os

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on June 06, 2014, 11:56:27 AM
But you also do Multiple wounds per hit don't you? D3 or D6 or something? only 1 or 2 shots need to get through.

Yes, multiple automatic wounds.  His high toughness is moot.  The kicker is, once you hit with your Str D shots.  You roll on the damage chart.  A 6 equals 6 + D6 wounds with no saves of any kind.  Should equal a dead C'Tan...

-Kur'os