?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: Galciv3 Blog - Charmyr Story (Non-WH Related) Chapter 2: An Aberrant Discovery  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 19
  • The Great King is there in person with his army
    • View Profile
Forward: Galactic Civilizations 3 is currently in alpha. It is available through early-access on steam at the moment (though it is expensive…price is said to half when it’s released officially in 2015), and big patches may render my save file obsolete…but I’m enjoying it, and thought I would share this story with you. With any luck, I’ll be able to finish this game before a patch wrecks my save files :)

First, a little bit of info on the race:

Race Name – Charmyr (Pronounced “Kaa-me-a”)

Charmyr are a subterranean Humanoid race, who live in sprawling cities of tunnel networks hundreds of meters below the surface of their planet. A race who's civil war raged for a concerning length of time, their current union of peace is allowing them to prosper in the area of intergalactic colonization.

Spoiler: More Background Info (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:38:39 PM by Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus »
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
[quote author=Greg Mun

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 19
    • View Profile
Spoiler: Historic Timeline (click to show/hide)
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
[quote author=Greg Mun

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 19
    • View Profile
Episode 1: A World of Worlds

Blogger’s Note: For the purpose of Council Meetings, I will be using generic naming conventions as opposed to alien names for the ease of the reader so that it is easier to work out who is talking from what viewpoint without having to immensely study the names of all of my characters. The only exception is that the Empire Leader’s lines will use his name. (That’s Kassad!)

Council Meeting
The colonisation of Vallus had been a success. However, the limited tools and manpower from the colony ship meant that any constructions would be slow going to begin with. The council was to decide on what is built.

Kassad: What’s the best way to build up Vallus to serve our Empire?
Military: A Starport is essential. It will help with trade, allow us to build military ships from other worlds, and we can send more supplies and workers from Jhaggar there in the future.
Economy: It is not viable or practical to send supplies for building materials from one planet to another. It will have to construct these buildings themselves as an independent world.
Society: A Starport would still be essential to give it that independence.
Economy: Building the Starport first would be a lengthy and unnecessarily expensive process right now. First we need to work out where the minerals are, set up some manufacturing plants, and have the facilities available to construct a starport first before throwing funds and manpower at it.
Kassad: Very well, factories first, then the starport. What have we discovered of the indigenous life forms of Vallus?

Spoiler: Vallus (click to show/hide)

Science: Significant portions of the planet are inhabited by a sentient pod-like creature. These pods bond with other sentient life. Those who are bonded by these pods experience significant physical pain at all times, but have heightened intelligence.
Society: You say that as though it’s a worthy trade off.
Science: I believe it may be. We could gain a formidable amount of research by…experimenting with these pod creatures.
Kassad: We are to be sovereign and benevolent, we cannot enforce people to do this.
Society: What if we make it a volunteer service?
Science: Any amount of volunteers we can get to agree to this will aid science. Obviously the more the better, but we can…make do with less.
Kassad: Good. Encourage our people to volunteer with these hyper-intellect pods, but don’t force anyone. The Confederacy days are behind us, we should throw those doctrines far behind us.

Kassad paused before continuing

Kassad: The…survey ship has ventured out?
Diplomat: Yes, it is seeking out stars, planets, anomalies, and so on.
Military: Such an expensive ship is drifting in space with no defenses.
Diplomat: Excuse me, but I think you meant to say no offensive capabilities?
Military: Semantics in my opinion. The best defense is a good offence, and this ship has none. We've spent billions on this and it could be gunned down by anything.
Kassad: Spacecraft Defensive systems is definitely a priority for our research.
Economy: Why? There is no proof that there are other races out there. What we need is better food-growing technology. We were on the fringe of a new breakthrough only recently, and it will be necessary to flesh this out and increase our food production for supplies for the spacecraft crews, as well as the other planets.
Society: This is true. The sun is shining and we still have no crops growing on the surface because we are paranoid about a return of the Black Age, or something.
Science: The Black Age is a recurring phenomenon, yes, but that happens every 500 million years.
Economy: Then why do we have no surface farms. So much space is vacant on our planet. We should be using this to provide for our own Empire.
Military: Unless the fruit from our trees contain some application to weaponize it, I doubt it’ll do us much good.
Society: Is that so, Toruk. Tell me, do you think you could survive in a world without food, or a world without without guns?
Military: From my experiences of recent warfare, I would say neither.
Kassad: Look, Military is very important for research yes, but we have to ensure the fundamentals are solid or our Empire will collapse from within. Let’s start by putting some basic research into some food production methods to use the surface of our planet for something. Then, let’s look at some spaceship-wielded railguns.

Council Dismissed.

Shipyard

Blogger’s note: The Shipyard section will detail the specifications for newly designed and updated ships, along with pictures. I am no astrophysicist, and any stats in specifications are not necessarily accurate/realistic, but they will be comparable between ships. (Potentially similar to the 40k universe, where 60mm of tank armour is huge).

For reference, 1 in-game turn is 1 week, and 1 tile is 100,000km. Also keep in mind that a Gigameter (Gm) is 1,000,000 km.

Spoiler: Astrologist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: More Screenies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:47:52 PM by Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus »
[quote author=Greg Mun

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 19
    • View Profile
Episode 2: An Aberrant Discovery
Year 4090, Week 11

Council Meeting

Diplomat: Our scout ship encountered an alien spacecraft. It too had no weapons and no fighting ensued, but they told us that their race was working on a universal domination plan.
Military: But it’s okay guys, we have farms to defend us!
Society: Don’t be smart, the science department is working on weapons for you
Science: That’s right. We’ve nearly finished a conventional repeater-cannon for initial implementation. After that it’s straight to railguns!
Economy: Did we get an image of the creatures?
Diplomat: Yes, one. I’ll put it up on the screen.
*Picture goes on screen*
Society: Ahhh! It’s hideous!

Shipyard
Spoiler: Mantis (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Raptor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alien Ship Spotted! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Screenies (click to show/hide)
[quote author=Greg Mun

anything