News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Lady Jenna vs. Mech Grey Knights (1500, 6/14) in "The New Meta?"

Started by BigToof, June 15, 2014, 02:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BT Points Time!  Who Survives to the End?

Lady Jenna and Talia!
2 (33.3%)
The Lady falls!  (Only Talia)
2 (33.3%)
The Vision was True! (Only Lady Jenna)
2 (33.3%)
Calamity! (Both Psykers fall)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

BigToof

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lady Jenna vs. Mech Grey Knights (1500) in "The New Meta?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All,
Welcome to my first 7th edition Lady Jenna Batrep.
It's an interesting one, as I'm basically bringing in my 6th ed. list and I'm facing against a list that well...

Let's just say that I suspect that someone may have been more than a little prepared for the psychic phase.

MECH GREY KNIGHTS with enough Warp Charge to make a Daemon player jealous.

Needless to say it was more than a little concerning, considering that the heart of my list is Lady Jenna.

A Psyker.

Who would last about two seconds against the anti-Pysker/Daemon army that was rumbling in front of me.
Would the Lady survive?  Would the Grey Knights take the field?  Will it involve heroism or just running around like a mad little grot?

Read.  On.

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Comments and Critiques are greatly appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------
The Lists
------------------

Lady Jenna's Marauders (1500): 71 Infantry, 5 Vehicles; 3 WC; 14 VPs
Seneschal Jack Hawkins (CCS w/Autocannon, MoO) in Chimera
Lady Jenna Mordheim (PPsyker w/Force Staff, Mastery 2)
Natalia Maximov (Primaris Psyker w/Force Staff, Mastery 1)
Priestess Yuki Mishima (Munistorum Priest)
Baron von Oberheim (Tempestus Command Squad w/Meltagunsx4)
Tempestus Scions w/Meltagunsx2
Captain Alyssa Jax (PCS w/Flamersx4)
Guardsmenx30 w/Lascannonsx3, Sgts w/Power Axesx3
Lady Tomoe Saigo (Veterans w/Plasmagunsx3, Carapace Armor in Chimera)
Vendetta
Lemun Russ Punisher w/Heavy Boltersx3
Lemun Russ Exterminator w/Lascannon, Multi-Melta Sposons

Grey Knights 1500: 28 Infantry, 1 MC, 7 Vehicles; 17 WC, 16 VPs
Coteaz
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor w/Psychostroke, Rad Grenades, Mastery 1 w/Force Sword, Servoskullsx3
Purifersx7 w/Force Halbards, Psycannonsx2 in Rhino
Purifersx7 w/Force Halbards, Psycannonsx2 in Rhino
Henchmen (Acolytesx2, Psyker) in TL-HB Razorback w/Psybolt Ammo
Henchmen (Acolytesx2, Psyker) in TL-HB Razorback w/Psybolt Ammo
Henchmen (Acolytesx2, Psyker) in Las/Plas Razorback
Henchmen (Acolytesx2, Psyker) in Las/Plas Razorback.
Stormraven w/TL-Assault Cannon, TL-Multi-Melta, Mindstrikesx4, Hurricaine Bolter Sposons, Psybolt Ammo
Dreadknight w/Heavy Incinerator, Teleporter

----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------
Chapter Ten: The Witch Hunt

Lord Inquisitor Torquemada Coteaz was in a foul mood.  Although, it was understandable given the circumstances.  Humiliated by his recent failure against a rag-tag band of mutants and Space Wolves lead by Lord Commissar O'Keefe, Coteaz was captured and only escaped by faking death.  Luckily, the rebellious cretins were of very little brain, so it didn't take much effort for him to elude their pathetic search attempts, summon his allies once at a convenient distance, and be spirited off the planet.  At first, he was tempted to simply annihilate his once-captors by orbital bombardment, but he then he took another hard look at the situation.  As damnable as it seemed, the Commissar's victory had actually stalled their advance, as their Naval vessel had fled after a small firefight, leaving the Guard completely isolated and without hope of reinforcements. 

All Coteaz had to do was let them rot on their misbegotten rock.

Now, he had time to head to Terryn, and with any luck it would be before the king-making ceremonies would be taking place.  The thankfully long-winded ceremonies would last for days, and give him enough time to evaluate the candidates before choosing who would win.  Granted, the nobles would think it was their choice and in the end, only Coteaz would know the wheels within the wheels that lead to the final decision.  All he had to do was make sure nothing would interfere with his delicately arranged scheme.  Vigilance and patience.  The heralds of all good things to come.

There wasn't much that Seneschal Jack Hawkins of the Rogue Trader Anne Bonney liked about their current situation.  In their last battle, his Captain, Lady Jenna, had ordered a pair of Eldar Farseers bandaged and healed rather than executed and/or abandoned.  The duo, sisters by their account, had tried to kill them for reasons that Jack still didn't understand.  Perhaps the Alien really was unfathomable.  But, they were savvy enough to trade their freedom for information, and had told Lady Jenna that a great "trial of unimaginable importance" was going to occur at the planet Terryn, and that it was of great importance that she travel there with due haste.  Jack had voiced his concerns that the Eldar were not to be trusted and that their information was dubious at best.  But, there was something about what the Xenos had said that made Lady Jenna take pause and then order the ship towards Terryn at full speed.

Shaking his head, Jack paced the length of the bridge, trying to think of something to say, to do that might make them take a more reasonable course of action.  But, Lady Jenna seemed adamant about the entire situation.  For better or worse, they were headed for Terryn, and Jack only hoped that his growing sense of paranoia would be unfounded.  But, he had a feeling that it wouldn't be.  He only hoped that the rest of the crew were managing to keep their spirits up.  They were nearing the end of their time in the Immaterium, as luck would have it, a bit earlier than scheduled.  The Terryn system was supposed to be a bastion of tranquility, so Jack had sent most of the crew off for some well earned rest.  He glanced over at the Captain's chair and smiled at the seated form of Lady Jenna Mordheim.  She still looked good given that she had rested maybe a handful of hours, with her styled, long platinum hair, violet eyes and alabaster skin.  Jenna always wore a formal looking dress, even when on off hours, and Jack had wondered if it was out of habit or upbringing.  Even though they had spent what felt like a lifetime together, from time to time he realized how little he knew of her past.  He glanced at himself in a bulkhead.  A day or so worth of stubble looked back at him, and his Seneschal uniform was undone at the collar and probably needed a pressing or three.  It was good that Lady Jenna was the face of the ship, as otherwise he'd have to worry about what people thought of him.

"Transitioning into realspace," muttered the Navigator, and Jack had a few moments to grab onto the railing as the knee-quaking rolling sensation of reality suddenly jettisoning back into place took hold... and into a veritable field of debris.

"Evasive maneuvers!" barked Jack, and the ship tilted hard and away, slipping by a chunk of something metallic.  The Navigators and pilots wailed at their controls for what seemed like an eternity as the Anne Bonney twisted this way and that, but then they were thankfully free and clear.

Jack took a moment to give a concerned look to Lady Jenna, who returned his look with a comforting smile.  Although the Captain looked nonplussed, Jack was more than a bit concerned.  Were the Eldar trying to get them wrecked?  Sending them into a debris field head-on was something that might have worked for a novice crew, but the Rogue Trader had seen worse.  Jack checked the coordinates, and nodded to himself.  This was the Terryn system.  Which made the debris field rather odd.  Terryn was supposed to be a Knight World of some renown.  Leaving a large cluster of potentially damaging space junk near a common transition point was a sign of either laziness...

Or recent combat.

Jack turned to look at Lady Jenna, who was either reading his mind again, or just came to the same conclusion that he did.  With her nod of approval, Jack started giving out orders, "Scan the debris.  Find out what it was.  Then look around.  I want to know what's been going on here.  Shields and weapons to the ready.  Let's not be taken by surprise."

He glanced again at Lady Jenna, who had her eyes closed in concentration, there was a slight shimmer to the psychic dampeners in her collar as she worked her powers.  Jack had seen this countless times, but there was still something about the process that made his hair stand on end.  Lady Jenna was powerful, that was obvious, but good-natured as they came.  But, the powers of the Warp were danger and malevolence personified.  Although she never spoke of it, Jack had seen the dangers wrought by even the most careful use more times than he had reason to want.  He let go the breath that he didn't realize he was holding when she opened her eyes and spoke in dulcet tones.

"I sense no tremors in the Immaterium.  Whatever was here has long since gone."

Jack nodded.  That was a good sign.  Although, part of him always worried that something more powerful, more dangerous might still be out there, hiding in the murky depths.  But, that would have to be another time.

There was a gargling sound as the machines next to the Techpriests start to unravel spools of data, carefully printed on thin rolls of paper.  The priests were nodding to themselves in a way that Jack hoped meant everything was going to be alright.  But, he had a feeling that peace and tranquility were very unlikely in the near future.
----------------------------------------------------

Natalia Maximov picked herself off the floor, staggering to her feet as she tried to figure out what had just happened.  She was in the middle of one of her more pleasant repeated dreams, in which the past decade or so of madness was just a dream, and no, you silly girl, you don't have any of those unpleasant psychic powers that make you an outcast.  That was all a daydream, and you were actually at one of Father's incredibly dull parties mingling with equally dull guests about matters of local politics that had nothing to do with being in any danger what-so-ever.

It was really one of her more pleasant moments.  Which made the sudden awakening as she fell off the bed and hit the rolling floor all that more jarring.  Holding her head, she pushed the locks of red hair out of her eyes and tried to find where the ship had decided to throw her uniform.

What was going on?

She took a few steps towards the door when a sudden, lancing pain ran through her head.  A crystal-clear image popped into her mind.  Giant men in armor.  Astartes.  Flame.  Death.  Pain.  And then it was gone.

Wonderful, she thought.  It wasn't the first time a vision of the future had slammed it's way into her consciousness, but it was just as unpleasant as always.  There wasn't much context to the whole thing, but it's message was clear: The Astartes were out for blood, and she (and most likely everyone around her) were in danger.

This was not a good morning.

Pre-Game Thoughts: Welp, I am getting NO powers off this game.  WTF is this list?  Minimal henchmen squads with Psy-backs???  Is this what 7th ed is all about?  I...  I don't know what to say...

Well, actually, I do, but not in front of polite company.  My list is virtually unchanged from 6th, and I don't know how it will do.

I just hope that mass shooty will turn the tide against psychic cheez.  My last Grey Knight encounter, well... every encounter actually, was not pleasant, so I can't assume anything about this one.

Needless to say though, I think I might just have Lady J go with Biomancy, because I can only try Prescience once per unit.  Who knows, maybe it might help?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup: Hammer and Anvil; Night Fight: OFF
Mission: Purge the Alien... Heretic... Whatever. (VPs)

Warlord:
-Jack: All units within 12" re-roll 1's to hit (woot!)
-Coteaz: Re-roll reserves, +1 to seize

Psychic Powers:
-Lady Jenna: Smite, Iron Arm, Warp Speed
-Natalia: Prescience, Forewarning (4+invul)
-Coteaz: Perfect Timing, Misfortune, Prescience
-Inquisitor: Prescience, Forewarning
-Purfiers: Banishment, Cleansing Flame, Hammerhand
-GK Vehicles: Banishment, Sanctuary
-Psykers: All have Psychic Scream; Mental Fortitude, Shroudingx2, Invisibility (!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To Be Continued!

BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

Well the thing that really jumped out at me from this is Jack's warlord trait, I still haven't acquired the rulebook but that seems brutal and if you keep enough units within a foot of him I can see those little henchman squads falling over and dying of their own accord.
A good barrage of anti-tank fire at the beginning and I reckon you're no longer playing the psyker game, just a traditional gunline massacre given the huge numbers advantage.

Now as I stated I still haven't read the rulebook so I'm not sure how easily psykers die against lots of other psykers but I'm going to stay optimistic and vote for both of your girls to still be up and kicking by the end (and if they aren't alive on the battlefield then let's just hope they are in the fluff when the dust clears).

I like the Terryn story arc, just learning a little bit more at each stage (which hopefully culminates in a massive plot-twist and Lady D wreaking havoc).

Thanks for putting out a Lady Jenna report, with the number of great characters involved these have become my favourites to read, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

The Man They Call Jayne

Hmm, tough one to call, I want to believe that the girls will come out on top, but there is so much anti psyker there, one of them has to suffer from it. I will pick a side and say Talia goes down fighting. Looking forward to this.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BigToof

Thank you all for the very kind comments!

Quote from: Cammerz on June 15, 2014, 06:54:37 AM
Well the thing that really jumped out at me from this is Jack's warlord trait, I still haven't acquired the rulebook but that seems brutal and if you keep enough units within a foot of him I can see those little henchman squads falling over and dying of their own accord.
A good barrage of anti-tank fire at the beginning and I reckon you're no longer playing the psyker game, just a traditional gunline massacre given the huge numbers advantage.

Now as I stated I still haven't read the rulebook so I'm not sure how easily psykers die against lots of other psykers but I'm going to stay optimistic and vote for both of your girls to still be up and kicking by the end (and if they aren't alive on the battlefield then let's just hope they are in the fluff when the dust clears).

I like the Terryn story arc, just learning a little bit more at each stage (which hopefully culminates in a massive plot-twist and Lady D wreaking havoc).

Thanks for putting out a Lady Jenna report, with the number of great characters involved these have become my favourites to read, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Hi Cammerz,
Glad you're liking the story arc so far, and who knows about Lady D?  (I keep trying to get her in a game, but my opponent has turned away from DE for a bit.  I may have to just put her in a fluff only piece...)
The new Warlord traits are great, and Jack's own re-roll 1's did come handy more than I thought...
There's a new bit of fluff, let me know how you like it :)

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on June 15, 2014, 03:54:29 PM
Hmm, tough one to call, I want to believe that the girls will come out on top, but there is so much anti psyker there, one of them has to suffer from it. I will pick a side and say Talia goes down fighting. Looking forward to this.

Hi Jayne,
Thanks for the reply!  The girls do have some fans it seems, and this was not an easy fight.  I guess we'll have to see how it goes...

Surprised to see no Grey Knights comments, but I guess they're a bit unpopular at the moment?

In any case, here's a bit more to tide everyone over!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setup: Well, the terrain fairy is somewhat biased this game, or perhaps trees are all that are really left...  I miss my rocks and hills.  In any case, One half of the board gets two large ruins in the corners and two ruins near midfield.  I don't really want to give my opponent the half with the ruins in the backfield as it could take forever to dig him out.  However, the ones near the center aren't that great either, as it gives him cover and a good opportunity to rush me down.  I decide to take the half with the ruins in the corners and just hope that he might be a bit more passive, as I can probably win a shootout. 

I decide to lead with the Russes, as he has no melta and only a few Lascannons.  They go in front and center.  Hopefully, my opponent won't want to get too close to the Punisher and will back off...  The blob with ICs go behind them and Jack and his Chimera in the center back.  I reserve Jax in the Vendetta and Lady Saigo's Vets in their Chimera.

Sadly enough, my plan does not come quite into fruition, as my opponent puts down three tanks in either side ruin and the Dreadknight to my right.  The right tanks have the Invisibility Psyker and Coteaz.  Everyone gets 4+ cover, so it's pretty intimidating looking.

Picture Caption: That's... really too close for comfort.  Maybe I should be more careful next time...

Coteaz rolls to seize, needing only a 5+, but thankfully fails to seize on both (!) of his attempts.

The dice of fate give me a pat on the head, although I get a feeling that good fortune may not last long...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------
Interlude: The Dragon Awakens
-------------------------------

Howling wind bit at the face of assembled forces of Lady Jenna's Marauders.  It was a haughty name, made to send shivers down the spines of those that heard it.  Images of brigands and barely-read barbarians, swarthy arms with steel and fire.  So, it may have come with some surprise that a well-mannered crew of freshly-shaven Guardsmen were the bearers of said name.  Seneschal Jack Hawkins rode in the Command Chimera, behind the Guard, keeping a watchful eye on the Auspex.  The whole thing smelled like a trap. 

As soon as they were clear of the debris field, a scratchy message popped up from the surface of one of the planets.  It was from a supposed Lord Commissar O'Keefe, who had explained that he and some Space Wolves were on their way to Terryn when they were set upon by the Inquisition and some Renegade Space Marines.  Before they could really get any sort of confirmation, the message was cut off as if by some outside agency.  The Techpriests had explained that they planet they were on had some kind of high-energy phenomenon in the atmosphere that was making communications and scans difficult.  The best way that they could verify anything was to go planetside.  Jack didn't like the suggestion one whit, but Lady Jenna had told him that she knew of O'Keefe and that he was loyal to the Imperium.

Jack wanted to point out that the Inquisition were also TECHNICALLY loyal to the Imperium, but kept the point to himself.  No need to make the crew feel more nervous than they already were.

Then, to make matters worse, the landers had some kind of navigational error and they were sent several kilometers off course, landing thankfully not too badly in a lightly forested patch of land.  The Marauders were more or less intact and after some time, they were able to start marching towards the source of the Commissar's signals.  They were marching for a few hours when Jack realized that the Auspex was as cursed as the Landers, taking them in circles. 

He resorted to the old-fashioned method of popping his head out of the tank and using landmarks.  Part of him winced at the unnecessary risks and potential sniper target he was making for himself, but then he looked down at the pair of Psykers walking amongst the Guard.  Lady Jenna had insisted that she walk with her men, even wearing her full dress.  The men were clearly uplifted, and even though they must have been marching for hours, the Lady took it as if it was an afternoon stroll with nary a glimmer of perspiration.  The men around her dared not show any hint of fatigue, although the same could not be said of the other Psyker.  Wearing a sharp red robe and trying not to trip over every branch was Natalia Maximov. 

Jack felt sort of bad for the new girl, as it hard not to compare her clumsy gait with the effortless grace of Lady Jenna.  Stil, she was clearly doing her best and falling too far behind.  Jack wish he knew Vostroyans better as he wasn't sure if it would be considered an insult to offer her a ride.  After another near fall, Jack worked up a polite-sounding offer in his head, and was about to speak when the front Guard barked out a warning.

"Contact at the front!"

Jack dropped down, swearing to himself for shutting off the Auspex.  Although it couldn't tell left from right, it could tell them little things like an entire army dropping down on top of you.  Thankfully, all it did show was what appeared to be a mostly empty encampment.  A few fires, but no significant heat signatures.  Were they too late?

As if feeling his concern, Lady Jenna spoke up in a clear, regal tone, "I feel... no sign in the Warp.  Let us proceed forwards.  Perhaps there is something we can do to help."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The slight girl wearing a blue robe sat in front of Jack in the officer's tent.  A very small crew of Guardsmen were left at the camp, and the girl was one of them.  One of the remaining Guard had explained that she was the leading officer, an Attalian Priestess of all the strange things.  Apparently after seeing their Landers streak by, the Commissar and the Wolves had tried to follow them, but somehow they had missed each other.

Jack shook his head.  It was a comedy of errors sure enough.  Their twists and turns on the Auspex had caused them to approach from a completely unexpected angle and the two sizable armies had somehow missed each other wandering through the bush.  Still, it did give him some time to converse with the locals and ferret out what was really going on.  Lady Jenna had accepted all of the base Guard as brethren, and didn't think to even keep them separate or under watch.  Jack had more than a bit of reservation, though, and had managed to get the Priestess into a tent for a bit of polite conversation.  He was just having some difficulty getting it started.  The girl had made tea for both of them and had been sipping it for the past few minutes. 

Jack had tried broaching conversations, but was just getting polite looking nods.  Suspecting that Low Gothic might not be the best way to converse with her, he had ordered one of the men to find Lady Saigo.

After what seemed like an age, he heard familiar raucous laughing and somewhat regretted his choice.  Lady Saigo was the least reserved and well-mannered of the crew, and perhaps was not the best choice for a potentially delicate situation.  But, it was far too late, as the Veteran Sergeant walked through the flap of the tent.  Lady Saigo had her uniform unzipped to the waist, with a sweat-stained undershirt gripping her rather generous curves.  Her hair was wild and unkempt and Jack could smell old liquor on her from a dozen paces.

She gave the laziest salute Jack had ever seen and said, "Saigo is here.  What do you want for... MISHIMA!"

Suddenly, Lady Saigo dropped to her knees and put her head against the ground.  Jack looked around wildly for the grenade, before he realized that it was a gesture of reverence.  Or fear.  Perhaps both.

The Priestess then quietly stood, minced over to the Sergeant and bowed slightly in her direction.  As if filled with springs, Lady Saigo jumped to her feet, bowed deeply at the waist and said a string of words in Attalian that sounded almost rote and mechanical.

What was going on?

The Priestess motioned for Lady Saigo to sit next to her, and Lady Saigo did so carefully after waiting for the Priestess to sit first.  Saigo sat with the straightest posture Jack had ever seen and he was half expecting her back to break in half.

Jack nodded to let his thoughts collect.

"Uh, thank you coming Lady Saigo.  I want to tell Miss Mishima..."

"PRIESTESS," corrected Lady Saigo with a look of shock that made Jack pause.  There were undertones here that were making him more than a bit uncomfortable.

"Ah, yes...  Priestess.  I wanted to talk with her and didn't want her to feel uncomfortable about any troubles she might have with Gothic."

Lady Saigo's jaw dropped in shock and it took her a few moments to speak.

"P...  Priestess Mishima can understand you perfect.  All Priestess can speak Gothic.  Apologize."

"What?  Oh, I..."

"APOLOGIZE."  Lady Saigo gritted her teeth and Jack was first taken aback, but then saw something in her eyes that surprised him.  It wasn't anger at a cultural insult.  It was fear.  Mortal fear.  From a woman who bedded Baron von Oberheim on a regular basis.

"Uh, yes, I...  I do apologize deeply for any insult, Priestess Mishima.  I just...  I just wanted to make sure that we could speak to each other more easily."

Lady Saigo bit her lip as if unsure whether to say something, and then Jack saw a small, almost imperceptible nod from the Priestess.

"P...  Priestess do not speak to mortal men.  Their voice is only for the Emperor."

"Ah," said Jack.  Now things were making more sense.  It was just a cultural thing after all.  But it did bother him why Lady Saigo was so...  so pants-wettingly scared.  Surely she wasn't religious, as Jack had seen her doze off during the usual litanies.

Trying to make his words as carefully as he could, Jack asked, "So...  Lady Saigo...  Are the Mishima family... influential?"

Lady Saigo gasped again and trembling, she looked at the floor and said in a surprisingly meek voice, "Mishima...  Mishima are good, very, very good people.  Helps everyone.  Nothing bad.  Always good.  Never trouble."

Jack could hear his mental danger warnings peak, and was about to try a different angle of approach, when shouts broke out from the camp.

Tapping his commbead, the Seneschal barked, "Report!"

The reply came back a little fuzzy, "Contacts, sir!  Tanks approaching."

Jack nodded to himself, "Good... that'll probably be the Commissar and..."

"Sir, begging your pardon...  They're.... they're Inquisition marked...  Uh...  Your orders sir?"

Frowning, Jack paced in thought.  Whatever he decided would put the lives of the entire crew at risk.  Should he throw his lot down with the still-unseen Lord Commissar and his Priestess?  Or should he bend his head to the Inquisition?

Thinking of Lady Jenna made the decision easy.

Tapping his comm twice, Jack started to give out orders to his crew.

"Secure the camp!  All crew to the ready.  If the Inquisition want a fight, let's be ready to give them a good one."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be Continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Quote from: BigToof on June 18, 2014, 03:50:39 AM
There's a new bit of fluff, let me know how you like it :)

That was a fantastic read, as I've said in the past your Astra characters have the best fluff by a very wide margin. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying how very pleased I am to see Priestess Mishima making another appearance, especially alongside all of these other great personalities.

I can't wait to read more.

Mabbz

Sadly I have limited time and internet connection at the moment, so I haven't read this yet. Despite this, I shall vote for both the ladies surviving, because if they don't I'll be depressed.

BigToof

Thank you for the kind comments!

And now the conclusion!

------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------
Turn 1: IG
-------------------
Seneschal Jack Hawkins swore under his breath as he watched the Tanks approach.  He was hoping that with a good show of force they'd back off, but no such luck.  The Russes were ready near the front, and the airborne reinforcements were at the ready.  Everything was primed and ready to go.  All they needed was his word.

Tapping his commbead, he shook his head as again their hails were ignored.  The Inquisition either didn't want to communicate or didn't care.  So be it.

"Lascannon batteries, on my target.  Let's give them something to talk about."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankfully the dice gods have not spat upon me yet, and only a fool would not take hold of this opportunity!

I shuffle the blob back and get the Russes in optimum firing position.

I try to get some psychic powers off, but it's pretty pathetic, as the double handfuls of Grey Knight dice shut down anything I even think about trying.

Luckily, they can't deny orders.
Jack starts giving orders and the blob gets ignore cover, taking down Coteaz's Rhino to a single Hull Point.  Another order drops on the Command Squad, who manage to wreck the Rhino, spilling out the Purifiers into Punisher range.  The Russes finish off the shooting phase in style, stunning and knocking the other Rhino down to a single hull point and chewing up about half of the Purifiers.

Picture Caption: First Blood to the Marauders!

---------------------
Turn 1: Grey Knights
---------------------
The massive Gatling Cannon on the Lemun Russ Punisher was spinning to a stop as Lord Torquemada Coteaz reached out with his psychic powers.  There were some losses among the Purifiers, but even they could be replaced.  Standing and shooting into the Guard seemed suicide.  All they needed was something to keep them of the eyes of their enemy.

A smirk came over the Inquisitor's face as he realized the significance of that particular phrase...

------------------------------------------------------------

My opponent sarcastically thanks me for knocking down the Purifiers, as he disembarks his Invisible Psyker (who was in a Psyback) and loads up Coteaz and his crew.  The Psyback then plows forwards.  The other group of Purifiers disembark and move within Psycannon range of the Russes.  The other Razorbacks shift around to better shooting positions.  The Dreadknight shifts forwards and is ready to flame up my front line.

Psychic powers go down with almost casual aplomb, with Coteaz's Razorback getting Invisibility and both sets of Purifiers get Prescience.

Shooting goes down painfully on the Guard, as the Dreadknight cuts down more than half a dozen from the blob.  Luckily, the Russes are quite tough and the Lascannons and Psycannons only manage to plink off a few hull points.  The Psyker runs behind some cover.

Picture Caption: Wait...  An invisible TANK is feasible?

VPs:
IG: 2
GK: 0

-------------------
Turn 2: IG
-------------------
Baron von Oberheim shook his head as cries of alarm came over the voxnet.  No matter how many times he heard it, the panicked cries of the Guard always filled him with a growing sense of disgust.  Fear in the face of the enemy?  How intolerable.  But he blamed that on the softness of the commander and their leader. 

A woman.

Gritting his teeth, the Baron contemplated the honeyed words the Captain had used on him, and the false hopes he had played out for himself of something changing.  But, it was not.  She coddled the weak and the naive, gave into their mewing complaints with abandon.  They were not soldiers.  No.  They were base cowards, no different than Romanov or any of the others he had been unlucky enough to serve with. 

He nodded to his fellow Stormtroopers, who readied their Grav-packs.  Time and time again he had come to the rescue and every time he had flet the temptation to let the ground-pounders be annihilated by their own incompetence.  But not this time. 

It was time again, to play the hero.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Baron and his Scions come ready from reserves, as do Lady Saigo's Vets.  The Vendetta stays out, though.
The Stormtroopers land quite nicely on target (more or less) behind the lines of the tanks on the right.  They land in trees, but since the Scions now have Moves Through Cover, they ignore the dangerous terrain tests (yay!).  The Vets pop in on the right and disembark within double plasma-tap range of the Dreadknight.  I then realize that the Stormraven comes in next turn.  For the life of me, I can't remember what Mindstrike Missiles do (except that they are very, very bad for Psykers).  My opponent tells me that every Psyker hit by the Missiles take an automatic perils (!).  That's... very, very bad.  I decide to pull Jenna, Talia and Yuki out of the blob and into Jack's Chimera for safekeeping.

The Psychic Winds blow very, very weakly, and once again, I don't get anything off.

Shooting starts with the Baron ordering his own squad to split fire, and one well-aimed meltagun takes out the heavily wounded Rhino.  The Baron and his Scions then wipe out both Razorbacks with titanic explosions, destroying most of the occupants(including both psykers), who then fall back.  The rest of the orders and firepower go into the Dreadknight, who dies horribly, and the Master of Ordinance drops a (mostly) accurate pie-plate on the Purifiers, cutting down more than half of them.  BTW, Jack's re-roll 1's are AMAZING for plasma guns.

Picture Caption: Psychics?  We don't need no stinkin'...  Uh, present company excluded of course, ladies...

---------------------
Turn 2: Grey Knights
---------------------
Jack's comm buzzed and he heard the somewhat frantic voice of his second-in-command and ex-wife Alyssa Jax.

"Jack!  Jack!"

Sighing, Jack rubbed his temples.  Ever since Jenna had done something to Alyssa's brain, she had been less angry and more scandalous.  But, that all changed when she had failed to catch Lady D'ysperax, the Dark Eldar Archon.  Al's report was suspiciously full of holes, and Jack had wanted to get to the bottom of the matter.  Then, Lady Jenna had some kind of chat with Jax, and had told Jack to give her time.  Time.  Maybe now Jax was trying and get something started, but a firefight wasn't the right time at all. 

He replied, "Al, I don't have time for wordplay.  Just worry about evac and keeping the skies clean.  I know I haven't been paying attention to you very much and..."

"Jack.  Darling.  Shut up."

Jack paused and was about to say something more when Jax's voice come back with a more commanding tone, "You've got inbound, a single enemy flyer.  Astartes-class.  Jenna's records say something about...  Mindstrikes.  What does that..."

Swearing, Jack jerked open the door to his tank and barked out, "Captain!  Talia!  Uh... and yes, you too Priestess!  Get inside!  We don't have much time!

-------------------------------------------------

The Stormraven comes in and I am silently thankful that I put the girls in a tank.  The big flier moves up to melta the Russes.  Coteaz pops out of his once-invisible tank.  The Purifiers with the generic Inquisitor fall back to deal with the Scions.

The Warp Dice pop up hella strong.  Psychic powers all go off, making Coteaz's squad invisible, and putting Prescience on both Purifier squads.  Then, as they have plenty of left-over dice, the smaller Purifier squad uses their flame power to burn up the Baron's Scion squad (though thankfully not the Scion Command).  The Stormravens cuts out another huge chunk from the blob (including most of my Sergeants!) and uses the Machine Spirit to melta the Exterminator to pieces.  Coteaz's squad shakes the Punisher, and knocks it down to a single hull point.  The only bright point is that the Razorback fails to do anything to Jack's Chimera.

Picture Caption: Umm.. things aren't looking so good...

VPs:
IG: 6
GK: 2

-------------------
Turn 3: IG
-------------------
The grey Stormraven was finishing its strafing run when the Lovely Angel streaked down from the heavens.  A modified Vendetta, it was more Lascannon than plane, but Captain Alyssa Jax was getting used to calling it a second home.  Granted it was as hot as an Ogryn's armpit when the guns were firing, but it made a mess of whatever it was shooting at.

Jax grunted, struggling to her feet under the G-forces in the cabin, her Elysian uniform taut around her.  But, she wasn't going to miss this moment for the world.

"Gunners.  Blow that ugly box out of the sky.  Let's show them that we're worth something after all.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Vendetta comes in and I park it right in front of the Stormraven.

So... right...  Damage Control Time.

The Vets pop into their Chimera, which scurries back next to Jack's tank.
I choose to expand rather than contract the blob in hopes that it might buy us another turn before the Purifiers hit.
The Baron moves up to sweep away the remains of the small Henchmen squads.

Psychic powers again are a bust, but no matter.

I drop another (mostly accurate) ignores-cover plate on the Inquisitor and his very few Purifiers on the left, wiping them out of existence!  (woot!). 
The blob does it's last great attempt by taking out the Razorback (with some help from the Vets).  The Punisher fires (it was snap-shotting already anyway) into the invisible Puriifiers and actually manage to knock them down to just one Marine withe Coteaz.  The Vendetta attack is sadly not that epic, as the Stormraven Jinks and I just manage to get a shaken result out of the whole affair. 

Assault is brief as the Baron's squad smashes into the henchmen, wiping them with ease.

Picture Caption: Wow, that's a lot of GK off the board...

---------------------
Turn 3: Grey Knights
---------------------
Something roared past the Chimera and Jack checked his Auspex.  He swore when he saw the Astartes craft peeling out of range.  Jax's assault had made it break away, but it would be back.  But, now, they did have the number advantage locked down tight and the Inquisition was running out of tanks.  They'd pull back then, wouldn't they?

----------
Guardsman Lance Wellington looked at the lone strange Space Marine running towards his position.  He looked at Cornwalis Mendicant, his fellow Guardsman and roommate.  The smaller man frowned, looked around and said in his casually indignant manner,

"'Ey, Wellington.  The Captain and the girls done gone off.  You suppose it's alright to take cover then?"

Lance looked around at the Sergeants who were mostly decomposing meat from the aerial assault moments ago.  He wasn't really sure what to do.  All of the officers and such were decorating the floor in a not-so-good way at all, and all of the higher-ups had gone to hide in their tank.  Nobody was telling them to do much at all.  He was about to try his commbead when the Astartes started to glow.  A searing inferno hit the front rank just next to Wellington and men erupted into ash and cries of terror and pain.

Wellington and Mendicant looked at each other and solemnly vowed that they would cover for each other in the debriefing. 
After all, cowardice only sticks if someone can prove it.

---------------------------------------------------------

The Stormraven flies off the board.  Coteaz separates from the lone Purifier, who moves up to my blob.
Psychic powers for the GK is again undeniable, and Coteaz is invisible once more, and gets Prescience.
Coteaz assaults my already injured Punisher and wrecks it.

Oh, and joy of joys, the Purifier uses his psychic flames and burns up a handful of Guard.  I do my best to try and remove models to deny a charge, but it's not looking too good.

The Purifier shoots up the blob a bit, and then assaults in.  He downs a few Guard, but I fail to do any damage in return as I'm pretty much out of Power-Armor slicing weaponry and he makes saves like a titan.  The blob fails morale and is run down...

Did I... just lose like half my army to two infantry models?

VPs:
IG: 11
GK: 4
BigToof Points:

BigToof

-------------------
Turn 4: IG
-------------------
Well, end-game time.  I have the Vets shoot the beans out of the Purifier, and the Vendetta shoots up the last of the Razorbacks, stunning it and taking off a few hull points.  The Baron gets closer to the middle of the board just in case...

Picture Caption: The End Game is here!  Beware!

---------------------
Turn 4: Grey Knights
---------------------
The Stormraven flies in again and lines up shots downfield.  Coteaz moves up to (surprisingly) assault the Vet Chimera!
The psychic phase has Coteaz get prescience, but the Invisibility Psyker FINALLY bites it to perils.
Coteaz shows why he's the boss and hits with all of his (Prescience-assisted) attacks and explodes the Chimera!  I lose just enough mates to force a morale check, which I surprisingly fail and the Vets run off the board!

Picture Caption: I... think I'm still ahead right?

VPs:
IG: 12
GK: 6

-------------------
Turn 5: IG
-------------------
The Baron moves up to shoot up the tailpipe of the Stormraven.  I kick the Vendetta into hover and drop out Jax and her flamer friends to say hi to the Acolytes.  I try to get the Command Chimera out of there, but instead it gets immobilized in a patch of trees!

As there's virtually no psychics left, I'm actually able to get a few powers off, and I get Prescience and Iron Arm with no problems.

Shooting has the Razorback go up in smoke and Jax flames the rest of the Acoltyes to a crisp.  The Baron sadly only manages to shoot the multi-melta off the Stormraven...

Picture Caption: Well, the good news is that we're both running out of models...

---------------------
Turn 5: Grey Knights
---------------------
Lord Torquemada Coteaz waited patiently for the burning wreck of a vehicle to cough up it's cowardly innards.  He looked at them with a sneer.  Wide-eyed Children.  A few psykers, but nothing on his level.  Two caught his eye, one a tall blonde girl wearing a far-too-fancy dress and a shambly-looking young officer that maybe had just learned how to shave.
Break those two and the rest would flee.  Gripping his Daemon Hammer, he strode forwards and bellowed out a challenge.

"Listen, you filthy heretics.  I am Lord Torquemada Coteaz.  You have dared to challenge my dominance and have failed.  Do any of you dare to stand be..."

The word died on his lips as he saw a familiar Attalian girl wearing a blue robe stride out of the crackling wreck with nary a concern.  She took a moment to open her umbrella and looked non-plussed at the Inquisitor.

The arrogance of it all. 

Memories of his last failure roared to his mind as he strode forward, hefting his Hammer with all of his enhanced strength.  He would not fall for any trickery this time.  The Psykers tried to gather their bearings, but the psych-out grenade he had peppered them with moments before was still having it's effects.  The other tiny Guardsmen were trying to stop him, to slow him, but he would not be stopped.

He was Lord Torquemada Coteaz.  Living embodiment of the Inquisition.  They would have better luck keeping the Warp itself at bay. 

As he neared his target, Coteaz realized that the girl hadn't responded to his presence.  He smirked as he saw an opportunity, and swung once, hitting that damnable umbrella and shattering it to pieces.  The girl then sent him a death-glare that Coteaz relished in.  He looked down at the broken thing and saw that it had the symbol of the Aquila on it and some primitive symbols depicting the Emperor. 

Coteaz smirked at her.  Foolish creature.  Calling out to the Emperor as if he would help a speck like her.  The Inquisition were the true servents of the Emperor's will.  Only they could guide the bleating sheep of the masses.

---------------

So engaged was Coteaz with his own thoughts, that he had failed to see the small Priestess take out a small string of jade-coloured beads and begin chanting softly, ritually moving the beads as powers greater than mortal men started to build in her small frame.  Coteaz had just started to lift his hammer again as she flew towards him, planting one foot on his leg, lifting herself up, while reeling her head back.  The Inquisitor tried to throw her off, but it was no use, for what then struck him was not the blow of man, but something far greater...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stormraven moves up and shoots apart the Chimera.  Thanks to Yuki, we're all fearless, so they disembark with no problems.  Then Coteaz uses his bird and downs a few Guardsmen.  The Inquisitor assaults in and challenges!  I decide to accept with Jenna, but then my opponent laughs in triumph as he has psych grenades, dropping all of the psykers down to I1!  However, I have the foresight to use Yuki's powers, and I give her SMASH.  She attacks with one S6 AP2 attack, but that's all that's needed as she (once again) brings the mighty Lord Inquisitor down.

Picture Caption: So close... yet so far.

The game then (thankfully) ends!

VPs:
IG: 17
GK: 7

-------------------------
Result: IG Victory!

Post-Game Thoughts

Right, ahem with that out of the way...

Psychic powers are hella powerful if used right.  Invisibility is hideous, but unreliable.  I hadn't thought of putting it on Vehicles, but that makes it super-annoying.
Still, the Guard did pretty well, especially given the heavy mech around them.  I think, in a way, my opponent was too aggressive and maybe should have waited a bit, as putting his squisher guys so far away from his Purifiers just made them easy VPs in the end.

Right, so let's do this proper:

1.  Lady Jenna and Talia
Uh...  They were really pretty?  With the raw amoung of deny power going around, I just stopped rolling after a while.  I always felt that Guard shouldn't go too Psi-heavy and this game proves it.  I wish they could have done more, but maybe next time.  Grade: C.

2.  Yuki
Holy hannah Yuki!  That's two times in a row!  People are going to stop playing me if you keep this up!  :)
In all honesty, though, she was awesome for her points and maybe I should keep a priest with the blob to keep things salvageable.  Grade: A.  Speaking of which... 

3.  The Blob
Ugh... It really needs help if I can't get Prescience on it reliably.  Still, ignore cover Lascannons are nothing to sneeze at.  Having one Purifier break it was just disheartening though.  Grade: C.

4.  Vendetta/Jax's PCS
The Lovely Angel did work, securing the backfield and busting the Stormraven in the face.  I need to get used to flying her better though.  Grade: A-

5.  The Baron
If anything, I should start calling this the Baron and Yuki show.  I mean, seriously, this guy puts in so much work for his points, I don't know what to do without him.  He and his Scions took in FIVE VPs.  FIVE.  Grade: A.

6.  The Russes
AV14 is a BEAST.  Solid dakka, no complaints.  Next time though 'Toof, DON'T put them so close to the guys with Daemon Hammers...  Grade: B.

7.  Vets
The Vets blew the pants off the Dreadknight and did good work on the Purifiers.  No complaints except for the whole morale check thing...  Grade: B.

8.  Jack's CCS
I LOVE YOU ORDERS.  I think if anything, Jack saved the day with ignore cover MoO shots and making those Lascannons count.  He also gave a box for the girls, so that worked wonders.  Grade: A.

--------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------
Epilogue
-----------------------------

Jack Hawkins picked himself off the ground as he heard the Inquisitor's scream.  He and his men were thrown around like rag dolls.  The Inquisitor's damnable armor gave him strength bordering on Astartes-level.  There was no way to... to...  His mind came to a screeching halt as he saw the slightly trembling Inquisitor lying face up on the ground.  His hammer still laid in his grip, but his face...

Jack had seen a lot of horrible things in his years as a Guardsman, but he had never seen something like this before.  The entire lower half of the Inquisitor's face was a mash of bone and meat, almost as if he had taken a power fist to the face.  The Inquisitor gargled, trying to regain his senses, and Jack half-considered putting a shot through the man's head to put him out of his misery.  But no, answers were needed, and he had only one source.  But what had stopped him?  Had Jenna managed to regain her senses and do some kind of Warp-trick?  The last he had seen, the Inquisitor was running towards the Priestess.

He turned to see Priestess Yuki kneeling on the floor in front of her broken umbrella mumbling something.  Jack couldn't hear her, but he realized that the words weren't for him anyway.  It wasn't until she looked up that Jack saw that her face and chest were covered with blood.  Questions popped up to his mind as he saw the Priestess walk over, cradling her umbrella.  She held it out to Jack and the Seneschal graciously took it. 

The universe was full of mysteries indeed.  Both great and small.
BigToof Points:

Mabbz

I know I said this last game Yuki was in, but it's worth repeating. I've been using priests since 5th edition, and they have never disappointed me, especially since the new codex. I only wish they had a higher Ld stat to pass their war hymns with, as my recent failures to pass those tests have led to the running joke that people have been stealing the hymn books and replacing them with lyrics to "I will survive" and Monty Python's Lumberjack song.

Anyway, the game. I'm surprised you put Yuki in the chimera with the ladies, wouldn't she have been more useful making the blob fearless? Aside from that, well played. I not sure how the baron survived that long, was you opponent just ignoring him or something? Still that performance is once again making me reconsider my decision to leave storm troopers out of my army.

Awesome fluff as always, and I have to wonder, is Yuki going to permanently join the Marauders or is she going back to O'keefe? Also, yay! I got a BT point!

Cammerz

Yet another brilliant report there BT, and a solid victory (looking at the VPs throughout the battle it's pretty clear that he needed to completely wipe you off the table to win it).

I agree with Mabbz that maybe moving Yuki away from the blob was a bit counter-intuitive but you can't argue with that end result when she took Coteaz down for the second time. Does she get to use Jack's leadership for the war hymns when she's with his squad? If so then I can see that really helping the odds for getting Smash.

I'm starting to think that maybe 7th edition requires either lots of psykers or 'very few'/'none at all' in order to work properly. If you're up against an army like these Grey Knights you might as well trade them out for increased amounts of reliable firepower. But at least I got the BT point for both of the girls surviving, thanks for hiding them away in that chimera, although in fluff terms I can see things from the point of view of those two guardsmen, seeing all of your commanders either dying or hiding in a tank would be a bit demoralising.

So congrats on the well-fought victory, looking forward to reading more in future.

Job's a good un!

Mabbz

Quote from: Cammerz on June 22, 2014, 01:01:48 PMDoes she get to use Jack's leadership for the war hymns when she's with his squad? If so then I can see that really helping the odds for getting Smash.
I don't believe so, but I'm not sure. The War Hymns rule says: "The Ministorum Priest can take a Leadership test at..." which, to me, they have to use their own leadership, but it isn't overly clear. I'd love it if they could use someone elses leadership though; seven just isn't high enough.

BigToof

Thank you all for the kind comments!

Quote from: Mabbz on June 22, 2014, 07:12:40 AM
I know I said this last game Yuki was in, but it's worth repeating. I've been using priests since 5th edition, and they have never disappointed me, especially since the new codex. I only wish they had a higher Ld stat to pass their war hymns with, as my recent failures to pass those tests have led to the running joke that people have been stealing the hymn books and replacing them with lyrics to "I will survive" and Monty Python's Lumberjack song.

Anyway, the game. I'm surprised you put Yuki in the chimera with the ladies, wouldn't she have been more useful making the blob fearless? Aside from that, well played. I not sure how the baron survived that long, was you opponent just ignoring him or something? Still that performance is once again making me reconsider my decision to leave storm troopers out of my army.

Awesome fluff as always, and I have to wonder, is Yuki going to permanently join the Marauders or is she going back to O'keefe? Also, yay! I got a BT point!

Hi Mabbz,
Thank you for the kind comments.  It was a misstep to put Yuki in the Chimera, but I think I lost a lot of faith once I pulled Lady Jenna and Talia.  Yuki would have given the blob a fighting chance.  I really like the Scions/Stormtroopers and the Baron has always done well for me.
Glad you liked the fluff!  I consider you Yuki's "father," so I'm glad that she lives up to your expectations :)  As the Wolves are kind of not doing so great at the moment, I'm considering keeping Yuki with the Marauders.
Oh, and congrads on LEVEL TWO BT POINTS!

Quote from: Cammerz on June 22, 2014, 01:01:48 PM
Yet another brilliant report there BT, and a solid victory (looking at the VPs throughout the battle it's pretty clear that he needed to completely wipe you off the table to win it).

I agree with Mabbz that maybe moving Yuki away from the blob was a bit counter-intuitive but you can't argue with that end result when she took Coteaz down for the second time. Does she get to use Jack's leadership for the war hymns when she's with his squad? If so then I can see that really helping the odds for getting Smash.

I'm starting to think that maybe 7th edition requires either lots of psykers or 'very few'/'none at all' in order to work properly. If you're up against an army like these Grey Knights you might as well trade them out for increased amounts of reliable firepower. But at least I got the BT point for both of the girls surviving, thanks for hiding them away in that chimera, although in fluff terms I can see things from the point of view of those two guardsmen, seeing all of your commanders either dying or hiding in a tank would be a bit demoralising.

So congrats on the well-fought victory, looking forward to reading more in future.

Job's a good un!

Hi Cammerz,
Thank you for the kind words, as I felt a bit bad for putting the options up on the poll as Yuki did again save the day.  She has to use her base Ld, so she's kind of unreliable.  But she is a load of fun if it works out.  I should keep her with the blob though, but that'll be for next time.
Psychic powers are kind of useful, but only really reliable if you go "large."
I suppose that's one big change from 7th, as the girls aren't as reliable for giving out mass prescience.
Any opinions on the new Ork book?
I'm considering bringing out Grumgutz, but I would like to play my Tau (Bang and Lorilune) and Eldar army again...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

The Man They Call Jayne

Grumgutz would be nice, although I do miss the days of Big Mek Wingnut, he was a right propa little schemer.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BigToof

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on June 23, 2014, 05:50:57 AM
Grumgutz would be nice, although I do miss the days of Big Mek Wingnut, he was a right propa little schemer.

Thanks for the reply Jayne!

And because you asked, there's a new rep coming up!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: