News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Painting advice.

Started by InsaneTD, July 17, 2014, 08:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsaneTD

Hey guys. I'm currently working on a project for a friends birthday. I'm planning on painting a large symbol gold and was thinking of trying for a brushed gold look. I'm painting on paper (two standard pieces of letter paper glued together) and have some citadel paints (gehenna's gold, balthasar gold) and a can of Australian Export good spray paint. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thantos

Id say for best results mask and airbrush, but for brushed on metallics - try this
http://www.modeldesignconstruction.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/ModelDesignConstruction/_MC217%20/486480/Mr%20Hobby%20Metal%20Colour%20MC217%20%3A%20Gold%20UK%20only
You will be shocked at the metals you can paint with those laqure paints (use old brush wash with white spirit after, dont thin with water)

InsaneTD

I was hoping not to buy extra paints if I could help it. If you think airbrushing would be best then I might just use the spray paint instead.

Thantos

Hmm ok, in that case, perhaps lay down a midtone of the gold then shade with browns>dark charred brown. And highlight up to white.
Worth doing some tests, be sure to post up progress! ;)

InsaneTD

Not sure there will be much high lighting but I'll definitely post a couple photos of the completed project. The main body of it looks good so far. But it's just a big cardboard box with a bit of spray paint on it. :P

Thantos

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on July 17, 2014, 10:00:17 AM
Not sure there will be much high lighting but I'll definitely post a couple photos of the completed project. The main body of it looks good so far. But it's just a big cardboard box with a bit of spray paint on it. :P

Sounds like my Halloween costume attempts :(

InsaneTD

lol. Well this is going to be the box a birthday present will be presented in. I'm adding a Star Trek comm badge design and the "Card" to the box.

InsaneTD

The project I'm working on. It's present for a friend, well, it's actually the box the present is in. :P

I just ended up spray painting the symbol, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out so...

InsaneTD

So I didn't get everything I had planned to do, done, but this is it finished.

Narric

Spoiler
so silver, very cardboard

Looks decent enough :) Hope you got what you need to fill it. Plenty of packing peanuts ;)

InsaneTD

Yeah, it's just cardboard. But it's what the present arrived in and I wanted to keep it safe since it was a piece of memorabilia, and was faced in glass. She didn't say much about the packaging, but she did love her present so that's cool.

I'm really tempted to make something like it for myself out of wood now. :P