News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Storm of Winter Contest [Voting]

Started by Narric, February 21, 2015, 07:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose One

1.) Tanks of Winter
2 (28.6%)
2.) "The things I do for morale..."
5 (71.4%)
3.) The Winter Hunters
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 27, 2015, 07:34:46 PM

Narric

Here we go with our first Open contest, Storm of Winter, some excellent entries for our first outing :)

1.) Tanks of Winter
Human forces prepare to attack their foe on a stormy night, little did they expect their enemy would do the same.
Spoiler
Flurries of snow wiped around the tank as it crawled forward. George knew he was flanked on each side by the rest of his squadron but in the heavy storm, he couldn't see either vehicle when he looked outside. The battlefield awareness system said they were all still travelling in formation and were coming up on the first waypoint. The storm was supposed to lessen before they reached their objective.

The sound of the engine idling and the smell of ozone and fuel were strong inside the tank. Though he wasn't going to open the hatch and let the heat out. Or the snow in. "All units prepare to advance, the storm is letting up." Great, the weather boys had to be right for a change. George was about to order his crew to advance when the tank suddenly shook and his ears started ringing. The BAS showed several tanks destroyed and rough positions of where the shots came from.

The tank lurched forward as George activated his targeting systems. The infrared system showed where the supersonic round had come from but it was already disappearing in the snow and wind as it howled outside the tank. Still, it give him him a direction to look. Though he wished he didn't as several large shapes briefly appeared on his scope before slipping back into the dark. He tracked roughly were one should be heading as the main gun came up to full power and then fired. The targeting system was washed out by the laser firing. When it came up back up, George was rewarded with a large heat source were he'd fired, a direct hit.

George didn't get a chance to celebrate though as a second round hit his tank. This one didn't glance of the heavy front armour like the last one, instead it impacted where the turret met the main hull of the tank. The large capacitor banks ruptured under the pressure of the hit and released all their energy. The tank ground to a halt as it started burning.

2.) "The things I do for morale..."
Spoiler

3.) The Winter Hunters
A forward scouting group of Kroot, their advantageous colours brought on by their Shaper.
Spoiler

Mabbz

Oh, hey, I won!

I feel kinda guilty now, since I thought "Tanks of Winter" deserved the win, and I didn't put much effort into mine.

Narric

In First place we have:
Mabbz, with "The things I do for morale..."

Then in Second place we have:
InsaneTD, with his Tanks of Winter

And in Third place we have:
Narric, with The Winter Hunters

To be honest, and much to TD's misfortune, most people who come to the forum are more modelers and painters, and so may not have the best points of reference when it comes to evaluating writen work.

My entry was a ridiculous rush job. But it was fun seeing how fast I could actually get some models painted up. Just wish I had higher quality paints. Maybe I should bite the bullet and actually buy some new Citadel Paints?

InsaneTD

Damn it, I really wanted those dice. :P Congrats Mabbz, that's an awesome mini.

Sorck

@Mabbz your game will have to wait a couple of weeks I'm afraid.
@InsaneTD could you PM me with your choice of game? The list is on this page.

Quote from: InsaneTD on February 28, 2015, 11:18:55 AM
Damn it, I really wanted those dice. :P Congrats Mabbz, that's an awesome mini.
Don't worry, there will be many more chances to get dice. :P

InsaneTD

I'll get back to you about that ASAP, I'd actually forgotten games were a prize and need to check them out. :P

Mabbz

Quote from: Sorck on March 01, 2015, 12:40:06 PM
Mabbz, your game will have to wait a couple of weeks I'm afraid.
Not a problem, is there any info you need to give it to me?

Sorck

Quote from: Mabbz on March 01, 2015, 06:18:01 PM
Steam username I believe.

Mabbz

Quote from: Sorck on March 01, 2015, 09:33:46 PM
Quote from: Mabbz on March 01, 2015, 06:18:01 PM
Steam username I believe.
Galithir. Incidentally, I just remembered that 2S has a steam group, which I am part of. We should have a game of TF2 or something some time.

Narric

I'd play the TF2 with you, but my computer is shite :P

Sorck

I've never played TF2. :P

Though my computer is more than capable.

Mabbz

Out of curiosity, when am I likely to get my prize?

Narric

Sorry dude ^_^;;

I'll see about doing the Award seals tonight, and I'll send a message through multiple chanels to Thantos to help sort out the Dice. the Games are Sorcks responsibility though :P

[update]
Seals don't seem to be working at all I'm afraid :(

Sorck

Sorry Mabbz... I forgot you'd sent me your Steam name. If you accept the friend thing on Steam then I should be able to send you the copy of Talisman. :)

Quote from: Narric on March 26, 2015, 10:26:13 PM
Seals don't seem to be working at all I'm afraid :(
**** :P
I really ought to fix these things... could you PM me the link to it and I'll check it out?