News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Storm of Winter Contest [Rules][Open to All][Entries Closed]

Started by Narric, January 01, 2015, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

An icey storm lurks on the horizon, and a champion must be chosen to bare the power to defend against it. The Vaults of the Sphere have been opened, and rare power awakened, but who has the will and mind to control it?
For this contest, you are to enter a piece that fulfils a wintery theme. This can be an ice planet themed miniature, or a work of fiction set in the world's equivalent of winter. Or some sort of craft creation that embodies cold and winter.

Rules:
- Any entry must have a winter or cold/ice theme.
Fiction
- The main piece is limited to 1500 words.
- Must have a summary no longer than 50 words. Think of it as the blurb on the back of a book. The summary should give a quick overview of the main story, whilst avoiding any spoilers.
Miniatures
- The Unit/Model does not need to be game legal, and can be a collection of miniatures.
- Up to three pictures may be submitted. You are limited to 800 x 600 pixels for picture dimensions.
- Cannot have a work in progress paint job. Either show all the greens, or finish the painting of the model.
- Optional 50 word backstory. Mainly to give a sense of fluff for the miniature/unit/collection.
Non-Miniature/Craft Object
- Up to three pictures may be submitted. You are limited to 800 x 600 pixels for picture dimensions.
- Required 50 word backstory. Similar to the summary to Literature submitions, this is to give background on the item, and why it is tied to Winter and Cold.

Prizes
First Place: 2S Dice, Steam edition Talisman, Gold award seal
Second Place: A choice of Origin game or Voxatron Bundle*, Silver award seal
Third Place: Bronze award seal

*games

Origin game list is provisionally: Dead Space, Burnout Paradise, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, Mirror's Edge, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising
The Voxatron Bundle contains Chocolate Castle, Gish, Jaspher's Journeys, Voxatron and Zen Puzzle Garden. These must be redeemed through the Humble Bundle website and are available on Windows and Linux.

Dates:
- Entries can be submitted via a PM to Narric from January 1st until February 20th.
- Voting will take place from February 21st until February 27th.
- Winners shall be announced on the 28th of February.

Good Luck, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop a reply here :)

Jonagon

Archon Sharrek

Yaaay! Very excited. For clarity I assume 'a piece' means one, and only one. Or are we able to submit both a fictional piece and a miniature? Once again, very excited!
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

Narric

Quote from: Archon Sharrek on January 02, 2015, 04:20:49 AM
Yaaay! Very excited. For clarity I assume 'a piece' means one, and only one. Or are we able to submit both a fictional piece and a miniature? Once again, very excited!
Indeed, No big walls of text alongside your Ice Planet Orks ;)

I've got my own ideas of what I could do, but time will tell if I do it, or how good/finished it will be :P

Narric

Reminder that this contest exists, and we have had our first entry ;)

You competetive lot don't want to leave the contest a one-horse race, do you? ;)

Sorck

I'm wondering if it's Narric's own entry... :P

Well I may manage to get something together - I may buy a model I've been eyeing for a while. Though I don't think I could do any good models justice at the moment. :(

Mabbz

Nope. I remembered thanks to Who's Online and threw something together so there'd be more contestants. I assumed that at least one other person would have entered by now, but apparently not.

Incidentally, none of the games listed as prizes appeal to me. I just checked and Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars is available on Origin for the same price as RA3 Uprising, so when I win due to a lack of competition, can I have that instead?

Narric

Quote from: Sorck on January 23, 2015, 09:43:51 PM
I'm wondering if it's Narric's own entry... :P
Nah, I wouldn't publicly state there was an entry if it was only mine. In fact, the entry belongs to [REDACTED]

Quote from: Sorck on January 23, 2015, 09:43:51 PM
Well I may manage to get something together - I may buy a model I've been eyeing for a while. Though I don't think I could do any good models justice at the moment. :(
I know that feel :P

Quote from: Mabbz on January 23, 2015, 10:05:39 PM
Nope. I remembered thanks to Who's Online and threw something together so there'd be more contestants. I assumed that at least one other person would have entered by now, but apparently not.
To be fair, some peope may not have cottoned on about it, due to inactivity.

Incidentally, none of the games listed as prizes appeal to me. I just checked and Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars is available on Origin for the same price as RA3 Uprising, so when I win due to a lack of competition, can I have that instead?
I'm sure you'll recieve a PM shortly/soonish about that :P

Sorck

Quote from: Narric on January 23, 2015, 10:07:26 PM
I'm sure you'll recieve a PM shortly/soonish about that :P
The games are already purchased so we don't really have a way to substitute them.

Mabbz

Pity. Ah well, the Voxatron bundle looks interesting. I didn't properly look into it at the time.

Narric

As of 23:59 GMT, the window for entries is closed.

Voting Thread will be up around 7am GMT :)

Good Luck everyone.