News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Daemonfire Games - We Make Games

Started by Narric, March 02, 2015, 12:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Game Design is something I've always been interested in. Some four or five years ago I once considered the Game Developer course Jagex was offering at the time. Nowadays, most if not all my Game making info comes from Extra Credits, Jimquisition, Zero Punctuation, and Game Theory.

From these shows, I've learnt that I shouldn't assume to make the big budget AAA game from the get go. I've got to start small, and take all the critism and encouragement from the smallest projects first.

So here is my little pixel game made in Game Maker 8 Lite: Spin Top

To quote a friend who has already tried it:
"Handles surprisingly like an unruly beyblade."

Still have a lot of physics kinks to work out, and then there are the next few rooms to be built and enmies and combat mechanics to be coded.
If you have any comments or suggestions about this game, please make sure to leave a reply here.
Thats all this time folks, thanks for reading.

Mabbz

I wouldn't necessarily say an unruly beyblade. More like the ice levels from most Mario games. Perhaps lowering the acceleration rate would be a good idea; make it a little easier to control. Also, on a couple of occasions when I jumped and hit a wall, I got a little stuck. Jumping usually fixed it, but still something to look into. Also, is flying meant to be possible?

One more general piece of advice for doing a platformer (or probably any game): what's the gimmick. There are a lot of platformers in the world, so to make an interesting one you probably need some unique selling point. Portal has it's portal physic, Mario has it's powerups, Knuckleheads has it's two heads, etc. It's possible to make a good game that get by with just good design and gameplay, but people will overlook a lot of flaws if you give them something fairly new.

And now for the compliments section. It's certainly better than the first couple of games I made. I made a platformer once, complete with level editor. It worked (mostly) but looked terrible and somehow managed to be laggy due to my appalling coding skills.

Narric

Yeah, the friction doesn't seem to be working. I think I need to adjust what has friction, as that worked with the floors and walls.
The Wall glitches are something I'm gonna have to work on. Before I got the Jump/flying button in, I actually managed to "Complete" the room just by bouncy really fast :P

And I think if I'm gonna say there are any gimmicks, its actually the Jump/flying. In the past I couldn't get jumping to work quite right, so this time around I'm building the game around that little glitche/coding issue :P

If you could screenshot what you mean by getting stuck, I can try and figure out whats going wrong :)

Mabbz

So I tried repeating the "stuck to a wall" glitch and instead got stuck in mid air. Button mashing only managed to teleport me to the wall and get me stuck there. Further button mashing had no effect. Pictures are attached

Narric

Well, thats odd :P
One thing I forgot to mention is that by pressing the "R" key you can restart the room. hopefully that will clear the room and you won't have to close and restart the game :)