?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: The War Saga: Prelude (OOC Thread)  (Read 36190 times)

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
The War Saga: Prelude (OOC Thread)
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:46:49 AM »
This is a feeler/recruitment thread for an action/adventure group fantasy role play.

In April, the year of our Brothers 1253, the Great War, led by Richard Lancaster the First, was launched in crusade to unify the realm  of man, from border to border to border.

War Machines, still a technology in their infancy, were built in many and varied designs to beat back Lancaster's campaign. Powered by Spirit energy, they proved too strong for paltry soldiers to fight against with any hope of light casualties.

The following year, nearing the end of Winter, after suffering heavy casualties, he struck back against his amassed enemies with a devastating force: The Thirteen, a force of wizards trained in combat magic, fighting in unison in a way never before seen on such a scale. Nothing could stand in their wake, even the greatest of the War Machines, and enemy forces were decimated, as was their morale.

By 1255, death tolls on both sides ranged in the millions, and after the sacking and devastation of the last great fortress in the South, surrender was unanimously given to Lord Lancaster.

The Thirteen were disbanded, and under Lancaster's orders were given a reluctant pardon from sin by the Church of the Brothers for the blood they spilled.

The realm, united as it was, had its government split into an array of nation-states, all abiding under the laws of a great Lord Noble, the first of whom was Richard Lancaster himself. They were permitted to war and fight to seize power and wealth, but were limited so to prevent any great monarchy rising and dominating the realm.

Wizards were forbidden to fight alongside each other.

Though the surviving cities and peoples were greatly diminished in strength, much of the technology used to create the great War Machines was repurposed and reinvented to suit more civil uses, igniting an industrial revolution which remade the face of the realm. The once-poor peoples of the west found their mines of copper and iron to be tenfold as valuable, the rich farmland of the east less needed as the demand for food was diminished.

Fighting within the confines of the Lord Noble's laws, the Eastern states slowly devoured themselves, scraps of wealth being fought over like dogs with a bone as lesser lords tried to preserve their nation-states and keep their people from starving. The Western states, prospering in their own lands, see the downfall of the east and their own success as just and fair, and any hardship suffered is only a rebalancing of the scales that was long overdue.

Others in the east believe it's time to fix the scales again.

Plot-wise, your characters will be forming a mini-strike team (Ideally two sorcerers and two non-sorcerers, as well as a GMPC sorcerer, though this can be flexible) heading West and using their abilities and the element of surprise to essentially nuke the defenses of the larger fortresses and cities, paving the way for an easy and relatively violence-free revolution. Non-magical characters will NOT be underpowered, thanks in part mainly due to steampunk-esque technology supplementing their strength, but I'll get more into that later.

Let me know if this interests you!

Geography and Ecology:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Society and Culture:

Religion:

Magic and Technology:

World Map:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:04:17 AM by Waaaghpower »
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Offline Narric

• Daemon Loremaster of Elsinqart
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
Re: The War Saga: Prelude (Feeler/Recruitment thread)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:53:50 PM »
Sounds interesting :3

Depending on how "Steampunk" technology works in this setting I'd be interested. I'm already getting an idea for a character with "Lightning Fists." :)

On a question about the Steampunk, is it Steampunk powered by magic, or Steampunk power by steam and pre-electricity technology? A strange thing to ask, but from a character building point of view a key one to me.

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
On a question about the Steampunk, is it Steampunk powered by magic, or Steampunk power by steam and pre-electricity technology?
Yes.

;)

I'll add a more thorough explanation later today, but everything is powered by 'Spirit Energy' which is essentially magic energy powered by life force. (Magic is also fueled by this same energy, just more directly.)

Mechanics:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:00:10 PM by Waaaghpower »

Offline Narric

• Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:42:36 PM »
I look forward to it :3

For now, are there any limitations you'd like to impose?

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:47:30 PM »
The only major limitations I can think are that 1, everything is Analog, (No AI, nothing computerized. Machines all have to be run manually,) and that your power source won't be unlimited.

Characters:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:25:57 AM by Waaaghpower »

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »
I'm in. I'd quite like to be some form of engineer, but I'll wait for the character creation rules before I decide on anything further.

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:25:42 AM »
I'm in. I'd quite like to be some form of engineer, but I'll wait for the character creation rules before I decide on anything further.

That would actually be an incredibly useful character to have, so... Yay!
A bit of character generation info is up.

Items, spells, etc:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:00:51 PM by Waaaghpower »

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:23:30 AM »
Awesome! I love the magic mechanics, it's surprisingly similar to an idea I had for a minecraft mod. Now let's get things rolling, shall we?

Also, random question but what's the age rating on this game? After everything that's happened in Dusk and Dawn, I figure it's best to get that sorted from the start.

Name: Jane Edgely

Physique: 31
Agility: 33
Intelligence: 39
Mind: 37

HP: 100
Energy: 100
Sanity: 100

Career: Engineer
Talents: Rune engraving, Blacksmithing, Spirit Tech, Machine assembly (especially farming machines)
Skills: Cooking, Pneumatics, Pistol usage, Sneaking, Using farming machinery, Melee (Fists), Spotting small details, Farming, Haggling, First Aid

Equipment: Shock Wand, Shock Lance with backpack battery, Exosuit with defensive runes on torso and strength runes on arms, various engraving and mechanics tools, portable blood-spirit converter (if such a thing is necessary or sensible), food

Bio: Jane's father was a farmer, before the march of technology devalued his livelihood. In an effort to keep moving with the times, Jane learnt all she could about machines that now tended her lands. Her father was unable to deal with the changes though, and the farm's decline turned him into a recluse with a drinking problem. Jane eventually had to sell the farm and took on a job as an engineer, maintaining the machines that had taken over her family's work.

Slowly, Jane grew angry with the west. When she needed to deal with them for materials, she found them arrogant, saying that the change to the old balance of power and wealth was just, and that the East deserve their hardships. She didn't begrudge them their success, but she hated that they flaunted it. Perhaps a little of that wealth could be returned to those - like her father - who had worked their whole lives only to be brought low by something completely outside their control.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:00:32 PM by Mabbz »

Offline Narric

• Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
Had to send my character idea to WP to make sure it would potentially fit in the setting.

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 04:15:56 PM »
I'm going to rate this M for Mature. It won't be Game of Thrones level dark, but we're playing as soldiers going to fight. Our goal may not explicitly require death, but we're gonna have to get our hands dirty. Consider it... We'll say Skyrim levels of violent. You can talk your way through most things, probably, but once in a while you're gonna have to kill some folks. Or maybe a lot of the time if that's your first solution.

It may get darker if players choose to be really dark, but I won't try and push it one way or another.

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »
I've mostly finished my character sheet, although it is subject to change if there are any problems. Also, I have room for one more skill, which I'll figure out depending on what other character we have.

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 07:19:24 PM »
A small clarification (Since I haven't finished out the lore yet,) War Machines are fething huge and varied in design. The quickest example off the top of my head would be super-heavies and titans from 40k. (Not reaver-sized, more Warhound sized at the largest.) You can still keep that as a Talent, it might be really cool, I just wanted to be totally clear here that War Machines =/= Spirit Armor and other smaller machines and gear, in case there was a misunderstanding.

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »
Gotcha. I'll switch it to smaller, farming machines and other utility machines of that size.

Offline Narric

• Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Latest draft of my character sent :P Originally thought up a fistfighter with somer weapons equivalent to a Powerfist, but instead went for a Hammer and Shield :P Dagger as a backup weapon of course.

Awkwardly I can't seem to get my head around the Talents and Skills :P

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 08:42:04 PM »
Latest draft of my character sent :P Originally thought up a fistfighter with somer weapons equivalent to a Powerfist, but instead went for a Hammer and Shield :P Dagger as a backup weapon of course.

Awkwardly I can't seem to get my head around the Talents and Skills :P
Sure you sent it? I didn't get a message.