News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

500pt Marine List

Started by Stewie Griffin, June 10, 2012, 07:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewie Griffin

Just a quick list I threw together for friendly games - what do you think?

HQ

Captain - relic blade - 130

Troops

10 Man tac squad - Missile launcher and Flamer - 170 (these will be combat squadded into 2 groups of 5)

5 Man tac squad - Power Fist on Sgt - 115 - these will accompany the captain and flamer combat squad, this group of 11 will be my close combat troops, or at least close range troops

Predator Tank - Heavy Bolter Sponsons - is here to give a bit of a boost in the fire-power department with it's HB sponsons and autocannon - at a push it can also take on transports too, in conjunction with the MLer combat squad - the Captain and the close range combat squads will accompany this thing to keep it safe from assault, and to also hide behind it if they are in trouble.

Total = 500

So yeah, thoughts? :)

Rej

I actually really like the list and might mimic it or at least something really similar in the future.

So yeah, It has my thumbs up.
Phew...

Stewie Griffin

Well that's certainly nice to hear  ;D

What I'm actually planning to do model wise with this list if it is any good is to use these things instead:-

http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=128&product_id=204

Because let's be honest, a true-scale marine army no matter what the colour scheme will always look epic, even if it loses!

For larger games I'll stick to my normal scale GW marines, of which I've got about 1000pts worth.

Rarity Declis

I've got to say, I like the conversion kits.

A few thoughts on the Marine force.

I'd advise changing the Predator for a Razorback and a Rhino, so both units are mobile and you have some variety in your units.

Other thoughts include changing the Captain for a Chaplain or a Librarian. A Chaplain helps the other unit when charging, and makes sure that Power Fist sticks.

With the points you save, you may be able to fit in a Land Speeder as well.

Stewie Griffin

That's certainly an interesting thought... what equipment would the Rhino and Raz-back have though? And I'm assuming we're still talking about leaving the Missile Combat squad at the back whilst the 2 CC combat squads and captain ride in relative safety inside their metal boxes yes? In which case - which unit should the captain accompany, and which unit should go in which transport? :)

Oh, one last note on the captain, I'm afraid it's gonna be a captain in any case, because I just like Marine Captains above all other HQ choices (bar Chapter Master, which is like a big captain haha) in the Marine 'dex - although granted, they are good choices ;) but thank you for pointing them out.

Rarity Declis

Well, you don't always have to split up the squads. For example, in a KIll Points mission, the squad can remain together. The Missile Launcher can shoot out of the top of the Rhino, providing mobile shooting support. Then there is jumping out at close range, rinsing the enemy with 7 Rapid Firing bolters, a Bolt Pistol and a Flamer, which at 500pts, can really mess a unit up.

However, in an Seize Ground/Capture and Control mission, you leave the Missile Combat Squad at the back on your objective, and then the other two squads can quickly threaten the enemy. As to which squad gets the Captain, I would suggest you give him to the Power Fist squad.

You have the other 5 man Flamer Squad jump out of a Rhino, shoot the hell out of an enemy unit before the Captain and others charge in. Then, you mount back up and get moving.

The Razorback can be armed with TL Heavy Bolters, TL Lascannons, or Las-Plas set-up. At this points, I'd suggest Las-Plas if possible, TL Heavy Bolters if not. Those Str 5 shots can help weaken a unit, and getting a rear-armour shot can down a vehicle (possibly). More importantly, you can use the Razorback to support the Missile units' shooting, you can use it to block units from charging your own units, block line of sight, or simply keep the unit inside and have it score.

The Rhino can also charge-block, block line-of-sight, and you can just keep your men out of trouble. If a unit starts to threaten your Missile Unit, you can transport a unit back to help them quickly. A Storm Bolter is still 2 more shots at 24" so you occasionally bag a man or two.

Stewie Griffin

Thanks for those suggestions :) - But I'm afraid that I dont actually have a Razorback, all I've got is a Predator and a Rhino, with the Predator being able to double up as a Rhino because I magnetised the doors and didn't stick on the turret/top, So at best all I can use is 2 Rhinos, rather than a Razorback/Rhino. I dont much fancy buying one either to be honest, because this True-scaling kit will eat up a fair bit of cash.

Otherwise, cheers ;) - I think I will be having a battle with a friend this Saturday coming, so I'll test it there.

EDIT: Oh, I might as well ask, which chapter do you think I should paint 'em up as? Which chapter do you think is epic enough to be done in true-scale form? At the moment I'm thinking either Salamanders (I've kinda got hooked on 'em after reading in the DE 'dex about their raid on Commoragh... lose one ship so bring AN ENTIRE FLEET into the Dark City...with 2 other chapters...

Dark Angels I like also, Ultras (because I like Ultras, but I've already got a bunch...) or Imperial Fists/Crimson Fists... I'm also going to avoid the whole irritating issue of painting yellow from black by buying some white spray soon for an Eldar Bonesinger I stripped just recently, so if I fancy it I can also turn them into Imperial Fists too :)

Rarity Declis

I would seriously suggest Dark Angels if you like them.

1) They're coming out soon. They're going to be getting some sexy models, and you can then model some awesome robes.

2) A nice mix of colours within the Chapter so you can have several colour schemes.

3) I think Salamanders are kinda overdone- especially with Vulkan. If you want some real cred, go Second-Founding (but not Crimson Fists- too mainstream). For example, the Storm Lords are mounted up and love close combat.

Stewie Griffin

Well believe it or not it was actually these incredibly sexy models which made me think of doing Dark Angels to begin with :) Although Robes I'd have to give a miss, because I'm a klkn sculptor and wouldn't want to risk messing up my models... The advantage is though, that because they're gonna be pretty big, with lots of flat edges, I can go to town with the ol' free-hand, of which I am fairly good :) - and Dark Angels love interesting thing like checks, diamonds, quartered stuff and so on :).

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/442332.page

Some truly awesome models going there...

Salamanders it was that story I mentioned - Vulkan and the like I dont care about, it'd be a force I purely made up, using a generic captain and so on, but I've also bought some Space Wolf bearded heads to go with them, and...I just can't see Salamanders (being jet black) having long beards... same goes for the hair styles of the Blood Angels too, (as I've bought some of those too).

Ultras aren't ruled out either because of this work of awesomeness too - really plays into my thing of Marines being heroes :)

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/26197-Young%20Holion%20and%20Cassie.html

And Imperial Fists because well... I just like Imperial Fists :D

The big overall aim though, is to make each Marine seem like an individual his own power armour, his own head/helmet and so on, so I'm thinking that there will be lots of designs and so on on each marine. To give an e.g. of what I mean, when I was ordering the heads I'd need (bearing in mind I'd need 16 of them), I looked all over the marine range, then at BTemplars, DAngels, BAngels and SWolves to get a good range, eventually ending up with only 2 helmets being exactly the same (and only because it seemed like a "generic" Marine helmet, and I liked it the most) and every single bare head being different :)

EDIT: Oh yes I forgot to mention that Blood Angels are also an option too :)