News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Harlequins and Farsight Enclaves vs White Scars in "Mont'ka for the Holidays"

Started by BigToof, December 12, 2015, 06:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BT points time!

Overwhelming Harlie-Tau victory (greater than double Imperial VP)
0 (0%)
Harlie-Tau Victory (less than double VP)
4 (100%)
A tie!
0 (0%)
Imperial Victory (less than double VP)
0 (0%)
The Emperor Protects (greater than double Tau VP Victory)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

BigToof

Harlequins and Farsight Enclaves vs White Scars in "Mont'ka for the Holidays" (1500, 12/12)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All,
I had this crazy idea for a list.  After hearing the dismay of my opponents when I brought out my last Tau list, I decided to go sideways on the concept.
I wanted to play something mobile with a lot of firepower, but also something with punching power.
Oh, and it needed to have Tau.
So, I considered the many ally possibilities, when a thought hit me.
Harlequins.
They hit like a truck, cost a mint, but fit the whole concept of mobile attackers well.
I then decided to bring out the new Farsight Enclaves.
New Characters.  New Fun.  And a game that was more enjoyable for all parties involved.

There's a bit of extra fluff for this one, so I hope that you all like it.

Enjoy!

Best,
-BT
P.S.  Comments and Critiques are greatly appreciated!  Let me know if you like this change in direction!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------
The Lists
-------------------
Rebels and Clowns (1500): 38 Infantry, 1 MC, 3 Vehicles
The Old Guard (Farsight Enclaves Retaliation Cadre)
- Shas'O Li'myr w/Fusion Blades, Fusion Blaster, DC
- Crisis Suit w/Fusion Blastersx2, Bonding Knife
- Crisis Suit w/Plasma Riflesx2, Bonding Knife
- Crisis Suit w/Cyclic Ion Blastersx2, Bonding Knife
- Riptide w/Ion Accelerator, TL-Fusion Blaster, EWO
- Broadside w/TL-HYMP, TL-SMS, Seeker Missile, Bonding Knife, Velocity Tracker
Drone-Net VX1-0 AKA "Voxi"
- Marker Dronesx4
- Marker Dronesx4
- Marker Dronesx4
- Marker Dronesx4
Masque of the Veiled Path (Harlequin Masque Detachment)
- Shadowseer Sylvani Voidwalker w/Mastery2, Mask of Secrets
- Harlequinsx5 w/Caresses
- Harlequinsx5 w/Kisses
- Harlequinsx5 w/Kisses
- Starweaver
- Starweaver
- Voidweaver

Fast and Furiouser (1500): 24 Infantry, 1 SH; 9 VPs
White Scars
- Captain w/Bike, Artificer Armor, Thunder Hammer, Shield Eternal
- Command Squad w/Bikes, Gravgunsx4 Apothecary
- Bikesx5 w/Gravgunsx2, Sgt w/Meltabomb
White Scars Librarian Conclave
- Librariansx3 w/Level 2x1, Level 1x2 on Bikes, Hunter's Eye
Knight Errant

-------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------
Chapter Nine: The Long Walk
----------------------------------
A lone figure ran across an ashy trail on the far-flung planet Vior'los.  The day had not yet dawned, and only a few scattered sentry drones served to show any other signs of life.  Which was the way Shas'O Li'myr liked it.
As he ran back to his lone tent, the aged Commander panted as he stopped, scowling at the aches and pains across his body.  It was barely 10 Tor'kan.  In his prime, he would have run twice that every day without breaking a sweat, but now things were different.  A small pool of water reflected the soft glow of lights strung out amongst the tent posts, and he frowned at the old warrior that gazed back at him. 

More wrinkles than scars marred his face.  Grizzled.  It was the polite way of saying old and ugly.  But, he had earned every one of those scars.

He had been Li'myr the Wild Blade, the fiercest in all the Enclaves.  Enemies quaked in their boots at the very mention of his name.  But, that was ages ago.  As the years crawled on, he had been moved from the front lines to various more perfunctory duties, and now, in the so-called twilight of his life, he was given the "duty" of teaching the young heroes of the next generation.

And how he hated it. 

Li'myr was never one for talk when action could make a decisive blow, and he had to admit that explaining tactics was far more difficult than he had once thought.  He could still see the confused looks and hidden snickers of his "students" as he tried to explain the fury of a proper Mont'ka.  He blinked as he tried to remember their names, but the thought seemed to swim away from him.  It was getting harder to remember trifles such as that.  Walking over to his discarded jacket, he pulled out a small bottle and shook out a handful of pills.

He paused, glaring at the capsules.  Another sign of weakness.  The Earth Caste had said that it would lengthen his life, lessen his pain, and give clarity to his thoughts.  But, they did not tell him it would make him weak, dependent, a slave to a potion that held false promises.  Li'myr tightened his fist and with some satisfaction, opened his hand to see the multi-coloured fragments wisk away in the breeze.

"Good Evening Commander.  I trust that those capsules deserved a sound thrashing?"

Li'Myr smirked at the familiar voice and looked up to see a floating scarlet drone fly down the path.  The drone was older than the new models with all of their shiny upgrades, but he wouldn't trade Voxi for the world.  Drone Net VX1-0 was some kind of super-smart group of drones that Li'Myr had grown to liking more than his fellow Tau, and he had felt that Voxi had appreciated their erstwhile friendship.  Some had frowned upon the casual tone the Drone would dare use with a Shas'O, but Li'myr knew there were more important things in life.  Besides, it helped having someone you could trust to tell you when you were about to do something stupid.

"Voxi.  Your last update giving you errors or something?  It's a bit late to be out."

The drone swum up and down in the air, the equivalent of a nod, "Yes it is Commander.  Which is precisely why I am out.  You were not registered to leave campus grounds, sir.  Some were... concerned that something had happened."

Li'myr snorted.  It was the nice why of saying that some fool thought that he had gone senile and wandered off into a lava pit.

"I'm the Shas'O of the compound, Vox.  I don't need to ask anyone's permission."

"That may be true, sir.  But, it would make us feel better if we knew where you were.  You might be kidnapped by assassins."

Li'myr smirked.  Assassins on the training world of the entire Enclave?  An Ork would have a better chance of getting mercy from O'Shovah himself.

"Funny, Voxi, funny.  There's no one around as far as the eye can see.  Nothing is going to happen."

"That is not entirely true, Shas'O Vior'la Li'myr."

Li'myr jumped at the sudden, musical voice that seemed to erupt out of the shadows.  There, hidden partially in the shadows was a tall, slim alien, wearing a diamond-patched outfit and a featureless mirrored mask. 

An Eldar.

The Shas'O pulled out his pulse pistol and nodded with satisfaction as he heard Voxi's twin pulse carbines humm on-line.  He considered firing, but then stopped.  The Eldar were known to be fast as moonlight.  If it wanted to, it could have cut his throat already.  It wanted something more.

"State your business, Eldar.  Who are you?  What do you want?"

The Eldar bowed and strode forward carefully with arms held forward.  Li'Myr saw a faint mist gathering around her, but held his fire again.  The fog billowed and changed colours and now Li'myr saw pictures appear in the mist like a holo-generator.  But, they were more lifelike, more real than a projection.

"I am Shadowseer Sylvani Voidwalker of the Masque of Veiled Path.  We have divined a great tale unfolding far away.  Where Tau are betrayed..."

The Eldar motioned and a young, firey haired Tau girl wearing a Shas'O's armor walked into a glowing portal and then emerged into a battlefield filled with white-armored powered armor.  Space Marines.  Dozens.  And above them stalked the enormous form of a Knight Titan. 

She wouldn't stand a chance.

Li'myr scowled, "Why do you show me this, Eldar?  What do you think I can do?"

The Eldar replied, "We have looked upon the many paths.  If the Tau survive, they can swing the great events that will change the galaxy.  But, they require intervention.  There were many possibilities, Shas'O Li'myr, but we have chosen you.  Do you turn your back on your destiny?"

The Shas'O paused in thought, and looked over as Voxi spoke.

"Commander.  The Masque of the Veiled Path are known to my databanks.  They are known to have been seen near the disappearance of a sizable Tau force.  Their motives and alliances are unknown.  Perhaps it would be wise to bring this to the attention of the Council?"

Li'myr snorted.  The Council.  He knew what they would say, even if they chose to believe that he wasn't just having an aged-induced  hallucination.  The smart move would be to pull the trigger.  The smarter move would be to walk away.  But, that girl.  She reminded him of someone that he knew long ago.  Someone who bled out on the field of battle, fighting for the Ethereals and their lies.  The reason why he chose the life of the rebel.  And he would die a thousand times before he let it happen again.

Before he could respond, the Drone piped up again.

"We have noticed your facial features, Commander.  Please note that you are in direct orders to not leave the planet.  Doing otherwise would be insubordination of the highest caliber."

Li'myr nodded, "Well, it's good that I'm not doing that Voxi.  I'm... going for a walk."

"A... walk, sir?"

"Yes.  With you and five of my friends.  You know the ones.  Send out the message to the Old Guard, and tell Tak'vi that I will personally strangle him with his own intestines if he's late."

There was a pause as a few lights flashed on Voxi's communication panel, and the Drone nodded in confirmation. 

It was done.

Li'myr threw a glare at the Eldar that simply waited patiently, balancing casually on the tip of a toe.  He knew the Eldar were untrustworthy, but in the end it didn't matter.  A glorious end to his life story beckoned to him.  How could he possibly resist?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission: Contact Lost (Night Fight ON)
Setup: Dawn of War
White Scars Captain: +1 reserves
Li'myr: +1 WS (!)
Psychic:
Librarians: All have Psychic Scream, Stealth/Shrouded x1, Domination x1, Mental Fortitude x2
Sylvani: Veil of Tears, Fog of Dreams, Peal of Discord
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Be Continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

The Man They Call Jayne

I have faith in the Greater Good, but the Eldar are tricksy, and who knows to what end they are really working. Plus, Grav Guns. Those things are going to be painful.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

Drone characters? As someone that has long had plans in the pipeline for a whole drone codex, I approve. I haven't had a look in the new Tau codexi, so I'm curious what this Drone Net VX1-0 actually is?

As for the BT point's, I'm voting for the max Harlie-Tau win, of course. How could I not?

BigToof

Hi All,
Thank you for the replies!

I guess I should explain the new formations.

The Farsight Retaliation lets them all drop in as a single unit on turn 2.  The Broadside too (who gains relentless).  When they drop they gain +1BS, but lose it after that.  Very fluffy I thought.  They also gain the "killing blow" ability where you get to choose an enemy unit and then re-roll wounds/armor penetrations on it.  VERY useful for this game.
The Drone Net is really cool, and perhaps my favorite.  As long as you have two drone squads, ALL drones (not just in the formation) gain +1BS.  The special drone net gains a whole host of special abilities: Jink, Outflank, Precision Shot, Split Fire and most importantly Interceptor.  I really really like this as it makes drones actually very reliable.
The Harlies can run and assault after turn one, but besides that not too much.  They don't have armor so grav doesn't work on them too well...  Sadly bolters do.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 12, 2015, 09:49:10 PM
I have faith in the Greater Good, but the Eldar are tricksy, and who knows to what end they are really working. Plus, Grav Guns. Those things are going to be painful.

Thanks for the reply Jayne,
I hate grav guns too.  They seem to be best of both worlds, doing the work of Plasma without the risk and can take down vehicles if en masse.  My 3+ armor fears them (2+ even more!).  The Harlies did work this rep, but as you'll soon see, they weren't the stars of the show...

Quote from: Mabbz on December 12, 2015, 11:43:25 PM
Drone characters? As someone that has long had plans in the pipeline for a whole drone codex, I approve. I haven't had a look in the new Tau codexi, so I'm curious what this Drone Net VX1-0 actually is?

As for the BT point's, I'm voting for the max Harlie-Tau win, of course. How could I not?

Thanks for the reply Mabbz,
The Drone Net by fluff is basically a very advanced AI.  I'm using "Voxi" as a regular character that will probably be in all of my Farsight lists.  It's very nice to finally have a "droid" type character and it's a blast writing him.
Hopefully you feel the same?

Thanks all, and if you have any suggestions as to how I'm handling things, let me know!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Ooh, new characters, I do like new characters every now and then. These ones have been introduced off well and I'm looking forward to reading their exploits.

My first thoughts when reading the army lists were:
'That's not a lot of Tau' and 'Oh, an Imperial Knight'

So I'm going with a Tau/Harlie victory of course, but only standard victory (less than double), partially because I have no idea what 'Contact Lost' is so I don't know how many VPs are even on offer (3-1 would count as an overwhelming victory whilst 20-11 would just be average).

I also have no idea about those Harlequin vehicles, when I first saw the names I assumed they were flyers and I was going to make the point that he doesn't seem to have any anti-air, but then I looked at the models on the GW site and had to delete that observation.

Anyway, the fluff's looking good and I can't wait to read the report itself.

BigToof

Sorry for the delay all.  Rep is coming up post-haste!

Here's some Setup and Fluff to whet your taste for now.

Best,
-BT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------
Setup
----------------

Well, the terrain gods were overly kind and we have a veritable buffet of cover of all kinds.  Trees, rocks and ruins littered the field with the ruins near the borders with the middle cluttered up by forests.

Objectives went mostly near the center out of cover with a noticable exception of one in the big ruin to one side.

The White Scars won the roll to go first (darn), and took it, setting up across a single line with the Knight in the center and an independent character in each bike squad.  The Captain was in the center to my left and the head librarian with the cyber-eye was to the center right.

I decided to go ahead and put all the Harlies out there, as I need every opportunity to not be shot off the board turn 1.  The vehicles all went to the left corner and the foot Harlies went to the right.  I put a squad of drones in the bottom center behind some ruins and another Drone squad to the left to hopefully speed bump something important.  The third group of Drones joined the Shas'O in their massive Deep Striking squad, and the last group of drones went outflanking.

Picture Caption: Hold in there clowns and drones, the cavalry's on their way!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------
Interlude
------------------------

Captain Ogedai Khan frowned at the reports of the Stormcallers that stood across from him in his war tent.  His trio of Librarians were well-learned and an issue of this import had not been seen for some time.  The young Captain was stationed on the flank of the White Scars that defended the now-threatened world of Terryn.  There was a growning Xenos threat that seemed to grow with every day, and Ogedai was ready for almost anything.  But, there were limits to even his expectations.

"Dancing?"

The Stormcallers nodded in unison and spoke in a single voice.

"Yes, Great Khan.  Eldar apparently celebrating.  If we are to attack, then they might be off-guard."

Ogedai nodded and replied, "And what does the future hold?"

The three psykers shook their heads, "The skeins remain hidden from us.  No doubt more of the Eldars' doing.  But, their deaths will easily solve this annoyance."

"Very well.  Tell our brothers that the Hunt is about to begin.  Let us hope that the Xenos give us some kind of a fight."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you sure about this, Li'myr?  They are Eldar after all."

Shas'O Li'myr looked across the barren camp at his old friends.  Shas'ui Kau'li, Yan'va, Da'nan, Mont'yr and Tak'vi.  They were more brothers than fellows.  Li'myr had fought countless battles with them at his side, but he had to admit that age had taken a toll on all of them.  Still, they had all made great haste, bringing their XV-8 suits without question to the hidden camp where Li'myr had met the strange Eldar.  Li'myr looked over at Da'nan, who had asked the question.  Da'nan was always the one who asked questions.

"Doubtful, Da'nan?  The Eldar promise a glorious battle."

Da'nan snorted, his twin plasma rifles twirling reflexively.

"The aliens promise many things, Shas'O, but they deliver treachery with their words."

Li'myr nodded as murmurs came up amongst the others.  It was all to be expected.

"I know you all do not trust the Eldar.  Neither do I.  But, if you had seen what I had seen, then you know that a great injustice is to happen.  Tau blood will be spilled by Space Marines.  What kind of warriors would be if we let that pass unchecked?  Do we not follow our instincts?  Or do we wait for the Ethereals to tell us what to do?"

There were more terse murmurs, but this time with more heads bobbing up and down.  Still got it, Li'myr thought to himself.  The Old Guard were many things, but cowards they were not.  And they all thirsted for the battles of ages past.

"This Eldar, is it female?"

Li'myr sighed and looked over at Shas'ui Tak'vi.  The old rogue still thought with his gonads.

"Yes, Tak'vi, she is.  But, I don't think she likes old, shriveled drones."

The Broadside-suited Shas'ui chuckled, "Oh, you haven't even given me a chance to talk to her yet, Li'myr.  I've had many an Eldar in the day.  You remember that group of females on Thelas VI?  They couldn't wait to get their hands on me."

Voxi floated over and chirped, "Shas'ui Tak'vi, I believe you are referring to a charge attempt by a group of alien warriors known as Howling Banshees.  Their motive was not amorous in nature."

Tak'vi shrugged, "You never known, Drone, you never know.  Maybe they were just trying to get at this luscious grey meat?"

The drone paused for a moment and looked around.  "Calculating.  Calculating...  Probability of such a situation is 0.000000001%.  And that is being generous."

There was a pause and then all of the Tau broke out in thunderous laughter.

Li'myr nodded to himself. 

The Old Guard were back.
BigToof Points:

BigToof

------------------------
Turn 1: White Scars
------------------------

"THAT'S IT?  THIS IS WHAT THREATENS YOU?"

Captain Ogetai Khan looked up with annoyance at the enormous Knight that dominated the field.  Baron Gabriel of House Terryn was clearly displeased.  Looking at the trio of small Eldar craft that were barely larger than his bike.  But, the Eldar were crafty.

"Clearly, Baron Gabriel, this is more than meets the eye.  Keep watch while we discover how this particular trap is sprung."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------
Objectives: Hold Obj2
--------------------------

My opponent draws up hold Objective 2, which his Knight is on.  Hmm, well, that was easy for him.

He asks what my drones are armed with, and I tell him just Markerlights.  After finding out that Markerlights do no damage, he ignores them and just moves up to take objectives for more cards.

The Knight fires on the Drones, but thanks to Night Fight, not much is done.

Picture Caption: Well, the odds have been worse...

VPs:
WS 1
FE 0

----------------------------------------
Turn 1: Farsight Enclaves/Harlequins

Spiritseer Sylvania nodded with satisfaction as the Mon'Keigh moved forwards arrogantly.  Summoning her will, she released the Veil of Tears, feeling the confusion spread amongst the marines as she and her fellow Harlequins were suddenly cloaked from sight.

The Marines were always arrogant with their firepower and design.  If the events on Terryn were to unfold as Caegoroth willed, then the new actors would play their part.  And it would be right on cue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------
Objectives: Supremacy (Hold 2x opponent, gain 1d3 VPs)
------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I pull supremacy.  Yeah... That's not happening anytime soon.

So, I open up with my boats on the left side and down a few marines thanks to just rate of fire.
Dual Splinter Cannons are pretty mean, if a bit low range.
My opponent especially doesn't like the Voidweavers AP2 blast, and I get a feeling that the little ship's days are numbered.

Picture Caption: Hey, I did something!

------------------------
Turn 2: White Scars
------------------------

Khan snarled as the cries of the wounded rose to his ears.  How dare the Eldar raise a hand against him.

No matter, the White Scars would show them the error of their ways.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objectives: Hold Obj3
Overwhelming Firepower (Destroy unit with shooting)
Behind Enemy Lines (unit within 12" of opponent's board edge)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opponent presses forwards a bit, getting ready to unleash fire on my Harlies.  However, he fails to realize the might of Veil of Tears and all of the firepower on the right flank is wasted as he rolls too low on the sight distance.
The left flank though, takes a pummeling, but thankfully only the Voidweaver is trashed.

Still, my opponent takes a massive number of VPs and first blood...

VPs:
WS 4
FE 0

Turn 2: Farsight Enclaves/Harlequins

Baron Gabriel shook his head in derision inside his massive Knight.  He had been awoken from a sound sleep after a hearty night of ale and women.  This was to be a morning of festivities, not exterminating Xenos rats.  Gabriel had already had to choke down the insult of having to guard the far flank and to be ordered around by mere Space Marines on his home planet only furthered to stoke his rage.  What glory would there be in this simple slaughter?

He had only the briefest of warnings from his Titan's Machine Spirit before his cockpit rocked back and forth.  Alarms blared everywhere and suddenly there were other strange armored creatures on the battlefield.

He tried to angle his Ion Field before the final blow came, but even then he knew it would be far too late.

The trap had closed and there would be no escape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For the Greater Good!"

Shas'O Li'myr gave out a great war cry and landed behind the enormous beast.  Voxi was lighting up the creature's backside with Markerlights as Li'myr's Fusion Blasters did their work.  An energy field reflected one of the bolts, but the other bounced through, striking true as great geysers of steam and fire erupted on the thing's hull.  He heard other shouts mixed with some swears and saw that his fellows had landed more or less intact and were laying waste to the other Imperials.

"Voxi, how are we doing?"

The Drone next to him whirred in calculation and said, "It is good, Commander that we outnumber you two to one.  The vast number of markerlights have made the necessary corrections to the accuracy of all involved."

"You mean they hit things well enough?"

There was another wirr of cognition.  "Commander, with this number of Markerlights, a blind Kroot couldn't miss."

Li'myr nodded.  It was good to have Voxi around.  His warriors were few, but that just meant that every shot had to count.

"Press forwards!" yelled the Shas'O, "Let them feel the wrath of the Enclaves!"

--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------

All my units come in hot.

Li'myr, the Fusion Suit and CIB suit all fall around the big Knight.  The Plasma suit falls towards one near the right.  The Broadside and Riptide fall near the middle.  I also move out all the Harlies and get ready for an assault with the Drones to back them up.

Shooting is hella amazing, as I reveal (not too surprisingly) that the Knight is the one targeted for armor pen re-rolls.  Voxi's markerlights score a wonderful number of hits and basically all of the suits are firing at BS5 and ignore cover.  Four Fusion shots and two CIBs later, the Knight explodes massively, falling forward and nearly annihilating the remains of a Bike squad (except the Libby) and also my Fusion suit (darn).
The Riptide bites a chunk out of the Captain's squad, and the plasma suit trims out a generous amount of one of the bike squads.  The Broadside adds more to the carnage, but it's not as needed as the Harlies charge in.

Voxi continues to work for his VIP status, surprising the Libby with a long charge, allowing the Harlies to go in unmolested on the right.  Sylvania's squad wrecks face with their Embraces (DEATH HUGS FTW) and the entire squad is annihilated.  The Captain is knocked down to just himself (wounded) by a Harlie charge, but he hits and runs away.

Picture Caption: Mont'ka!!!

------------------------
Turn 3: White Scars
------------------------

Tau!  How could this be?!

Ogedai swore to himself as kicked away one of the pirouetting Eldar.  The Tau were a tiny race on the other side of the galaxy.  How could they have gotten this far?

A sudden tremor drew his attention to the fallen form of Baron Gabriel and he winced as he watched the great Knight's body explode with the fury of a broken sun.

No matter, the Xenos would learn that mere tricks would not be enough to save them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objectives: Behind Enemy Lines (unit within 12" of opponent's board edge)
Harness the Warp (use psychic power)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opponent still has a bite to him, as he assaults my Riptide with his Captain.  Sadly, the Riptide doesn't do very much, and can't get out of combat, leaving the Captain quite out of shooting for the moment.

The remaining bikes and Librarians divide themselves up, taking out a few of the lone suits with psychic shenanigans and then a few assault into Li'Myr!  However, the Shas'O fells one of the Bikes and then shows everyone that the Enclaves are not weak when it comes to assault, as he tears all of them apart with his Fusion Blades.  Thankfully, Voxi throws himself in the way enough with Look Out Sirs, so the Commander survives, despite my efforts to die horribly.

Picture Caption: Oof, they've still got a lot of fight.

VPs:
WS 5 (FB)
FE 0

Turn 3: Farsight Enclaves/Harlequins

"Commander?"

"Yes, Vox?" said Li'myr standing with some pride over the broken Marines with his blades still hissing in the dim light.  It had indeed been a Mont'ka for the ages. 

The Drone whirred again, the equivalent of a sigh and said, "It would be best to cement our victory now.  If we do not hold this area, then repairs and reinforcements would be difficult if not impossible in the near future."

"Very well, Voxi.  Tell the others to hold their ground.  Let us drive these pretenders from the field of battle.  Perhaps they are the ones who will know fear this day."

Hold obj 5
Ascendancy (Hold 3 objectives, 1d3 VPs)

With not much to do, we shoot apart the last Libby and then take an armload of objectives, nicely pushing the Greater Good up the scoreboard.
However, my Riptide underperforms again as the Captain just beats the big suit senseless and runs it down.

VPs:
WS 5 (FB)
FE 6

Picture Caption: Almost done...  Wait... is that the Captain getting out of combat?

------------------------
Turn 4: White Scars
------------------------

Objectives: Behind Enemy Lines (unit within 12" of opponent's board edge)
Kingslayer (1d3VP for enemy Warlord slain)

Realizing that there's still some hope to save face, the Captain charges into Li'Myr, but it's just not enough as the Captain is just too badly wounded (hanging on a single wound), while Li'Myr just does work with his Fusion Blades.

And with that, the Imperial presence is cleared from the table.

VPs:
WS 5 (FB)
FE 7 (Warlord)

Picture Caption: And that's all she wrote.

RESULT: Farsight Enclaves/Harlequin VICTORY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------
Post-Game Thoughts
---------------------------

Wow, just wow.

I've forgotten how deadly the Tau are.  I really liked how the Enclaves work, as they just tore apart the Knight almost casually with all of their re-rolls to pen and the enormous number of Markerlights at their disposal.

In fact, I think I have to give my MVP to Voxi and his drones.  They insured at every shot hit and that cover was basically not a factor in the game.  Also, they deflected overwatch and acted to annoy potential charges, giving the Harlequins some much needed cheap skirmishers.

The Harlies also held their ground well, but they weren't as impressive as the Tau, who basically wrecked face on Turn 2.  Li'myr was awesome with his blades and as he had basically eight wounds (Voxi's LoS rolls were on point), he was a force to be reckoned with.

No real qualms with this list yet, although I'm not sure if I want to keep the Harlies as they are so expensive for what they offer.  Still, I can't argue with their super-hitty ability, although I get the feeling that I wouldn't be able to take the board back if my alpha-strike fizzled.

A bit shocking to see that basically only Li'myr, the Broadside and Voxi lived after all of that, but the Harlies pretty much all survived.  Hmm, perhaps the Eldar are a bit tricksy after all!

Let me know what you all think!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Status report, Vox.  How bad are we?"

Shas'O Li'myr looked around the bruised and bloody battlefield.  The remains of the Old Guard were prying their fellows from their broken suits.  Injuries perhaps.  Hopefully not many deaths.

"No permanent injuries, Commander.  However, almost all of the suits are damaged.  Our bodies will also require some repair.  Of note, the Eldar suffered minimal losses."

Li'myr nodded to himself.  So they were the patsies after all.  He looked around.  Not a Tau in sight.  Damn me for a fool, he thought.  Tricked by some hand-waving nonsense and pretty pictures.  What kind of leader was he?  No doubt the others would be wondering the same thing soon.

"Li'myr!  Li'myr!"

The Shas'O looked over to see the ungainly form of Shas'ui Tak'vi waddle up.  The Broadside suit had spent nearly all of it's ammunition and Li'myr could feel the questions incoming.  No doubt the others would blame him for their wounds.  And he deserved their grief and blame.

"Li'myr...  That was amazing!"

"Wh...  What?"

"It was like being a Shas'la again!  Haha!  Did you see those alien's faces?!  I feel like I've been reborn!  Thank you, Li'myr, thank you a thousand times over."

Li'myr blinked, too stunned to say more, when he heard a soft footfall behind him.  Snarling, he turned around to see the slender form of Shadowseer Sylvani, balancing elegantly on a broken Space Marine bike.

"Your thanks are unneeded, Shas'O Li'myr.  The Masque of the Veiled Path has found this performance... acceptable."

"Indeed," said Li'myr dryly.  "Glad to hear it.  Tak'vi?  This is that Eldar I was talking about.  She wants to hear all about us.  Make sure we have a good impression."

Before Sylvani could interject, the massive form of Tak'vi stumbled forward, and Li'myr could almost hear the old soldier salivating as he stumbled over age-old pick-up lines.

He couldn't help but smile as he walked away.  Perhaps there was hope for this situation after all...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BigToof Points:

Mabbz

Hmm... I may have to pick up the new Tau codexes at some point. I was rather taken aback by the difference between the turn one picture and the turn two picture. Downing a Knight in one turn? Impressive.

But that's all secondary to what I really came here for, which was the fluff. Which was great as always. I hope to see more of Li'myr and Voxi in the future, they are fun additions to the ever growing character list you have. Also I want Tak'vi, Bang, Sylvania and Lorilune to meet.

Cammerz

I have never seen an alpha strike like that, that was phenomenal. So much for T5 Marines and a titan. I can't even think of anything else to say about the game, it was over so suddenly.

As for the fluff, I am liking Voxi in particular, analytical with just the right amount of sarcasm. Li'myr is also fun, the old warhorse who's had enough of high command and just wants to do his own thing.

I'm pleased that you managed to acquire all of those victory points at the end, I was worried that I'd be out of a BT point for a second there.

If I might echo Mabbz slightly and request Lorilune for an upcoming report. She's always been one of my favourites (along with Vasily and his nemesis Lady D). But whatever your next report will contain, I look forward to it.

Job's a good un!

The Man They Call Jayne

Yeah, I am really missing out on this new codex. It is almost enough to make me want to get back into playing.

Awesome game though, I do love a good deathbomb like that. And nice character work too. I can see Voxi as a C3-PO with an attitude :P
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4