News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

White Dwarf going back to Monthly

Started by Cammerz, August 27, 2016, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masked Thespian

Quote from: Cammerz on August 30, 2016, 09:39:21 PM
A free model? I can't remember the last time they did that. I know they used to give away one from each army with the release of a new starter set (I've still got the dwarf warrior and night goblin from Skull Pass). This certainly sounds like a stride in the right direction.

The best freebies they've given away before now that I can remember are the free Warhammer Wizard around issue 186 (one of eight designs in plastic, having just been released as part of a Talisman expansion), the free metal Necron around issue 212 (old style Necron), and the metal Aenur the Sword of Twilight special character for Mordheim (that might have only been available with this magazine, despite being part of the core Mordheim rulebook) around issue 244 (when Mordheim was released).
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

Irisado

Thanks for the run down of the contents.  That definitely looks to be a significant improvement on the later issues of the old monthly magazine.  I am more tempted to buy it than I expected, but I'm so cash strapped that I will have to resist.  It is good to see GW trying to make the magazine more appealing again though.

As for free characters, I ended up with quite a few of those over the years, including some of those mentioned above.  That first metal Necron, in particular sticks in my memory, even though I never used it for anything.  Including a free model is definitely a welcome blast from the past.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Narric

Who wants to bet that is what most people are gonna buy the Mag for now? :P

Thantos

... that's a cool model ... im buying the mag ;D

Irisado

Quote from: Narric on August 30, 2016, 10:27:46 PM
Who wants to bet that is what most people are gonna buy the Mag for now? :P

I'm not someone who bets.  That said, I agree with you.  It's not an original piece of marketing by GW, but it's an astute move to encourage people to buy the magazine, which is likely to pay off.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente