News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Forum Project - Designing rules for the Stormbird/Warhawk IV

Started by Narric, June 16, 2012, 09:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Thanks Wargamer. I think my editing skills need a revisit :P

Narric

This thread needs some life :P

I've been considering the armament of the Gunship recently. Giving it a decent loadout to egin with is cool and all, but most of the time you'll be changing you strategy to fit the amrments (and cost) of the Gunship, rather then mix/matching the armaments of the Gunship to suit your army/strategy. So I wrote up a quick idea on options for it.

Another things I've been thinking about is the main gun. My main problam is I have no clue whats the profile of a "Turbo Laser Cannon" is, sdo I figured using some pre-written weapons would be a better option.

So here is my slightly updated rules for the gunship.

Stormbird Gunship                               700 Points/Model

CostFrontSideRearBsHull Points
Stormbird70013121146

Unit Composition:           

• 1 Stormbird

Unit Type:

• Flyer, Hover
Wargear:

• 1 Macro Cannon
  • 4 Twin-linked Heavy Bolters
  • 2 Twin-linked Hydra Autocannons
  • Microglance Plating

Capacity:           

• Sixty (60) Armoured Models and/or two Monstrous Creature/Walkers
  • No non-walker vehicles

Access:

• 1 Forward Ramp
  • 4 Side Doors

Options:

• May be upgraded to carry up to 5 Monstrous Creatures/Dreadnoughts, for 55pts. It may no longer carry non-walker or non-Monstrous Creature units.
  • May replace its Macro Cannon for the following:
    - Icarus Lascannon..............25pts
    - Turbo Laser Cannon..........60pts
    - Battle Cannon...................70pts
    - Vulcan Mega Bolter............90pts
  • May replace each pair of Twin-linked Heavy Bolters (Front or wing pair) with one pair of the following:
    -   Twin-linked Assault Cannon.....free
    -   Quad-gun..............................10pts
    -   Flamestorm Cannon...............20pts
    -   Twin-linked Multi-Melta...........25pts
    -   Twin-linked Lascannon...........30pts

Pick ito it, all you like :)

hockman87

Whats the rear armor supposed to be Narric?  I am assuming that its a typo?

Wargamer

Also, your points are way off. A Battlecannon is worth far more than an Icarus Lascannon, and both of them are almost certainly worth less than a Mega-bolter (it's a Titan weapon for god's sake!).

The Turbo-laser is essentially a more powerful Lascannon with better range and "Ordnance 1", not Heavy 1.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

OK, swapped weapon options around, and fixed the typo for Rear Armour.

Also, i forget to include some info for the Microglance Plating. Its next step up from Ceramite Plating. Its bonus involves  save against Glancing hits, possibly 5+ or 6+. I'd justify this becuase in my mind this gunship would also find use in high/low orbit gunfights, and it be pretty lame if it was taken out by something like a stray skywould bullet, or a micro-meterite. I was thinking of something else as part of it, which entailed a chance that a weapon system would be damaged by the stray shot being glanced off.

Vyper

90 points to replace a Vulcan Mega Bolter with a Vulcan Mega Bolter? Might want to fix that typo lol.

Still don't think a single Icarus lascannon is worth that many points.

Wargamer

Narric, I don't want to sound rude, but maybe you should stop posting points for things you clearly know nothing about.

A Macro-cannon is a truly brutal weapon. It is not a slightly-better version of the Autocannon as you seem to believe it is. A single macro-cannon can all but wipe out an Ork Horde, and it'll probably blow a smoking hole through a Space Marine squad as well simply by the sheer number of wounds it can potentially inflict.

It is worth far more than an Icarus Lascannon (and why the hell is the Stormbird armed with an anti-aircraft gun as its main anti-ground weapon?), but there's no way in hell a Battlecannon is worth 70pts more than a Macro-cannon. Even 7 is probably pushing it.

Microglance plating... the name is clunky, and the mechanics are questionable. The Stormbird is already packing six Structure Points, so trying to glance it to death is an exercise in futility. It does not need a handwaved rule to protect it even further.

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

Quote from: Wargamer on September 01, 2012, 12:43:23 PM
Narric, I don't want to sound rude, but maybe you should stop posting points for things you clearly know nothing about.

A Macro-cannon is a truly brutal weapon. It is not a slightly-better version of the Autocannon as you seem to believe it is. A single macro-cannon can all but wipe out an Ork Horde, and it'll probably blow a smoking hole through a Space Marine squad as well simply by the sheer number of wounds it can potentially inflict.

It is worth far more than an Icarus Lascannon (and why the hell is the Stormbird armed with an anti-aircraft gun as its main anti-ground weapon?), but there's no way in hell a Battlecannon is worth 70pts more than a Macro-cannon. Even 7 is probably pushing it.

Microglance plating... the name is clunky, and the mechanics are questionable. The Stormbird is already packing six Structure Points, so trying to glance it to death is an exercise in futility. It does not need a handwaved rule to protect it even further.

Then perhaps someone who knows the necessary info should take over this project. I'm trying to make something that looks absolutely awesome in artwork usable in game.

The Microglance Plating was something I thought up to help with the whole "Galncing hits can now take out a Land Raider" though I didn't want to flat out ignore Glancing hits, but at least give the controlling player a chance to negate them.

Also, I put HULL points. If you are adament this should be apocalypse only, then I can't work on it anymore effectively as I don't play, nor truly intend to play, Apocalypse.

Wargamer

You're insane if you think the Stormbird has any place outside of Apocalypse. Hell, it shouldn't even be in Apocalypse - it belongs in Epic!

Glancing Hits killing Land Raiders? What's wrong with that? Anyone who has a problem with that is clearly some bitchy, self-entitled Marine player who wants to win just by putting his army on the table. Marines already get too much their own way; they don't deserve any more beardy rules to bypass the core rules that inconvenience them.

Narric

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Wargamer

Some people are retarded enough to write rules for the Imperator Titan in 40K scale. Hell, GW even got requests for Titan rules in Inquisitor.

Units like the Storm Bird don't belong in 40K. They belong in Epic - a game system that was built around having lots of massive, army-crushing units, and uses a model scale that allows you to play those games without having to use a parking lot.

Lord Sotek

Basically, I suppose if you're going to stat a Stormbird for 40k scale it should be an Apocalypse-only datasheet rather than a 'regular 40k' superheavy. Wargamer isn't a big fan of Apocalypse either, but, well, that's the sort of thing Apocalypse was made for.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Charistoph

Quote from: Wargamer on October 02, 2012, 09:39:18 AM
Units like the Storm Bird don't belong in 40K. They belong in Epic - a game system that was built around having lots of massive, army-crushing units, and uses a model scale that allows you to play those games without having to use a parking lot.
Quote from: Lord Sotek on October 02, 2012, 02:18:54 PM
Basically, I suppose if you're going to stat a Stormbird for 40k scale it should be an Apocalypse-only datasheet rather than a 'regular 40k' superheavy. Wargamer isn't a big fan of Apocalypse either, but, well, that's the sort of thing Apocalypse was made for.

You mean like the Manta?

Yeah, I wouldn't seriously field that in a non-Apoc/Epic/BFG environment, either.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."