?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: New Tau Codex  (Read 554 times)

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
  • Mayhem, Carnage and Laffs.
    • View Profile
Re: New Tau Codex
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 07:42:13 PM »
List building continues to pain me as I realize that I just don't know how to deal with a pure shooty build.

I'm so used to having something doing the hitting for me (i.e. allied Harlies or Eldar), that having nothing to even try and hit back against armies is kind of daunting.

Kroot are so mediocre (S4 1 Attack is kind of... meh) that I don't know how we can get board control other than just shooting the beans out of everything and just hoping.

I was considering a Farsight build, but not much is really good close up.

Bork'an seems good for the triple tap, but with so much either -1 at 12" or in your face turn 1 (Bloodletter/Berzerker bomb) that maybe just garden variety T'au is decent?

Gunlines are a possibility, but that seems so static and unfluffy that it makes my skin itch thinking about it.

But since Crisis Suits are so expensive (300 points for 3??) that maybe it's our only option?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
Re: New Tau Codex
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
Before the new codex, my army was 4 piranhas, a Coldstar, and some pathfinders with a fireblade and devilfish (I only play small, 35 power level games lately). The general tactic was to never get in combat, because everything was fast enough to dodge. It didn't always work (especially since I often played on 2'x4' boards) but it was fun and fluffy and kinda effective.

With the new codex, I'm probably going to stick with it. The main problem was a lack of heavy firepower, and a quad fusion Coldstar (optionally with fusion blades) should help nicely with that. Maybe throwing in a hammerhead or two as well, or some devilfish strike teams. Basically stay very mobile and treat every game as a bullfight, taking objectives only at the very end.

I'm still undecided on the Sept. Vior'la for boosted fish of fury? Dal'yth for a bit more ranged defence and emergency redeployment? Enclaves for fusion blades?

anything