News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

NEW Orks vs NEW Ultramarines (1500pts): WELCOME TO 8TH!

Started by BigToof, June 25, 2017, 12:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

---------------------------------------------------------
NEW Orks vs NEW Ultramarines (1500pts): WELCOME TO 8TH!
---------------------------------------------------------
Hi All,
No, it's not a fever dream.
I'm back.
And so is WAARGH! Grumgutz!
8th has brought a LOT of old faces out of the woodwork and although it's a bit of hurdle to get your mind around on paper, it's been a blast to play.
Rather, it's a really, really new game.
I found that new players actually had an easier time than people who suffered through the dying throes of 7th, as you don't have to "unlearn" all of the arcane ruleset that well... doesn't exist anymore.
And I have to say:
TWO BIG GREEN THUMBS UP.
Orks are back with a ton of new tricks and stinker units are now quite nice.
And who best to play my new list out with than one of my old mates.
You may remember him as my somewhat detested Ultramarines rival who went all Battle Company (AKA free transports for everybody!), but now he's brought out a version of his 7th list mostly to see what he has to repaint/remodel.
I know that heartbreak well.
So, my somewhat eclectic list is against a very small Ultramarines force that seems a bit unprepared for the NEW ORK ORDER.
I'm wasn't sure if my new tricks will work, but that's what reps are for!

BTW if you all are wondering, from what I've seen 8th is FAST and BLOODY.
So, it's not a... LONG rep.  But, it's a vicious one...

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Yes, there is fluff!  Fluff out first then rep to follow, you know how it is... :)
Comments greatly appreciated!

------------------------------------------
NEW Orks (1500): 80 Infantry, 3 Vehicles; 7 CPs (Battalion and Spearhead)
Ex-Farseer Lorilune (Weirdboy)
Axl Da Goff Rokka (Weirdboy)
Tankbustasx5 w/Rokkits, Boss Nob, Bomb Squig
Boyzx28 w/Sluggas, Choppas, Boss Nob
Grotzx10
Battlewagon w/Deffrolla
Big Mek Wingnut on Warbike w/KFF
Battlewagon w/Deffrolla
Lootasx5
Gorkanaut BigToof (Deffstorm mega-shoota, 2 Rokkits, 2 Twin Big shootas, Skorcha)

NEW Ultramarines (1500): 27 Infantry, 4 Vehicles; 6 CPs
Captain on Bike w/Thunder Hammer
Librarian on Bike, Force Sword
Tactical Marinesx5 w/Gravgun in Razorback w/TLC
Bikersx5 w/Gravgunsx2
Centurionsx3 w/Gravcannons, Hurricaine Bolters
Devestatorsx5 w/MLx4

--------------------------------------

Mission: No Quarter (1VP for each unit destroyed)
Setup: Front-Line Assault

Psychic Powers:
Lorilune: Da Jump, Smite
Axl: Warpath, Smite
Librarian: Veil of Time, Might of Heroes, Smite

Warlord:
Wingnut: Inspiring leader (+1Ld to all within 6")
Captain: Legendary Fighter (+1 attack when charging)

-------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------
Chapter One: The NEW Ork Order
---------------------------------

"What do you mean you lot 'don't get it?'"

The screams of Ex-Farseer Lorilune echoed through the patchwork tent thrown up around the vast horde of Orks.  As "pet" of Warlord Grumgutz, the Ex-Farseer had gone through many transformations, an enlightened Farseer, Ork slave, an enlightened Farseer again, and then an abomination again.  As infuriating as her mere existance was to her, she never could underestimate the raw stupidity of the common Ork.

Lorilune felt her staff scrape across the shattered piece of slate that was holding the most simplistic variant of her master plan.  The crowd of Orks winced at the sound and a few shrinked back from her gaze.  Their terror gave her an ounce of solace, but not enough to silence her rage.

Wiping the soot that still clung to her face, Lorilune snarled as she remembered the past few days.  It had been a rather troubling start to her latest adventure when Wingnut and his monstrosity descended upon her somewhat annoying exile upon the Tau world where her former lover once lived.  A flicker of memory of passionate nights of grey skin crossed her mind with bittersweet fondness.  It was a simple time with Bang, but Lorilune knew that it was temporary.  And when the Orks came, she knew that it was time to depart for greater things.  And when they entered the Warp for transit, Wingnut had explained that Grumgutz had told them to rendezvous at an uninhabited planet for some kind of "big plan."

Everything seemed to be going to plan until they exited the Warp into a hail of warning klaxons.  It turned out that the planet wasn't uninhabited anymore and they had run facefirst into some kind of Mon-Keigh defensive array.  Their ship had taken massive damage and although they had managed to severly damage their opponent, the gravity well of the planet pulled them in.  And they had survived planetfall.  More or less.

Lorilune scowled at the tattered remains of the once beautiful dress that had taken her ages to procure.  Now, it was as savage and dirty as the rest of her.  The Orks had an near-anathema to the concept of cleanliness, so in order to find something resembling a decent bath and sauna, they were going to have to attack the nearby Imperial outpost. 
Which was going to be as simple as beating an Ork in a spelling contest, but then the damnable Marines showed up.  Apparently, the Space Marine barge had decided to send down forces of their own, and the fight was going to need some trickery to pull off as the standard Orkish tactic of running into Bolter fire wasn't going to do much.
And that was what she was trying to explain.  But the simpletons just. couldn't. understand.

"Alright.  ONE.  MORE.  TIME.  We're near the forward scouting range of the Space Marines.  No doubt they've seen signs of us and will be trying to make some kind of established forward defense to keep us in check.  However, we will circumnavigate that by doing the following:"

She paused to look at the other surviving Weirdboy, a strange Ork named Axl who had a shaggy mop of a hairsquig on his head and wore all black Goff tribe squig-leathers.  Lorilune had thought the Ork rather strange with the strange looking wires hanging off of his staff that almost resembled a musical instrument.  But, she would take what she could get.

"Step One: Our comrade Axl here will infuse you with Orkish Enhancement Energy to boost you to a desired level of combat ability.  Step Two: I will use my incredible and unmatched control of the Warp to open a Gate to the flank of the Mon-Keigh.  Step Three: You lot will charge forward and attack them and while they are flat-footed we will drive  them out."

One Ork raised his hand.

Lorilune sighed and nodded.

"So...  Axl's gonna juice us up and then we'z gonna Jump?"

"YES!" screamed Lorilune as the other Orks gave out sounds of astonished surprise and cries of "Dat's smart dat is."  Finally they understood.  Now they just needed Wingnut to hold up his side of the bargain.  A musical sounding horn brought her attention to the outside of the tent where she could hear the rumbling of something large.

Lorilune pushed past the crowd of Orks and looked at a pair of ramshackle looking Battlewagons.

Khaine's blood, she thought, it had been an age since she had ridden in one of those.  Then her nose wrinkled at the memory of how many of those had blown up rather violently.

"'Ey Louie!"

Lorilune's head jerked up as she saw Big Mek Wingnut jumping up and down proudly in the open bed of the nearest mobile scrapheap.

"I'z got us some Wagons just like you asked.  Now'z we good to go?"

A frown crossed Lorilune's face.  "This is it?  Two Battlewagons?  Are you aware that the Marines have three tanks of their own as well as a mobile force of bikes?  We'll be cut to shreds!"

"Uh, well..." sputtered Wingnut, "Dat's all the Wagons I could get.  The fall done smashed most of 'em."

"You are joking, aren't you?" jabbed Lorilune, "An entire starship and all you could muster is a lousy set of wheeled transports?"

"Well, no..." admitted Wingnut, "I did get enough ta work on BigToof."

"Oh, wonderful," said Lorilune with an extra layer of sarcasm, "You fixed up that moronic monstrosity.  How droll.  Let me guess, you made him bigger?"

"Yup!" said Wingnut, pleased to see that Big Louie was at least using happy words again, "I done did dat.  'Course I mighta overdone it a bit."

The ground trembled, knocking everyone off their feet and an enormous bellow rattled through the air.

"'EY LOUIE!  IS DAT YOU?  EVERYFING'S SO SMALL NOW!"

Lorilune scrambled to her feet and gasped as an enormous... thing blocked out the sun.
Swallowing, she said to Wingnut, "Yes... yes I think that will do, Wingnut.  That will do indeed."

-------------------------------------------------------

"Sir, may I please remind you that all of this is highly irregular."

Librarian Sigmund Novenus of the Ultramarines tried again to reason with his golden-locked superior who was humming to himself while cleaning his Thunder Hammer.
A shining gleam flicked off his perfect grin as Captain Excelsior Maximus laughed at his austere partner.  Sunshine flickered in through the verdant trees and Maximus shook his head.

"Sigmund, Sigmund, Sigmund.  My friend, you are worrying yourself to death.  After all, the Universe couldn't be better?"

Novenus raised an eyebrow, "Sir, you mean the Massive Warp Storms that have split the Imperium?  The Fall of Cadia?  The sudden appearance of an Ork WAARGH that threatens the safety of this entire sector?"

"No, no, no, Sigmund.  You're looking about this the wrong way.  The Primarch is back.  It proves that indeed, all this time, WE were right and all those fiddling little mongrel chapters had it all dead wrong."

Novenus paused, "Sir, the reports do state that Roboute Guilliman was not necessarily pleased with how the..."

"Abupbupbup, Sigmund, now that's looking at the empty half of the glass.  The Great Guilliman simply sees things in a way that is beyond mortal comprehension.  Why the complexities of the mind of a Primarch are such above even my own, it would be like comparing my own massive intellect with I don't know... a Space Wolf or something.  With Guilliman in charge, nothing can possibily go wrong."

"Yes, sir.  That's... one way to see it.  But, surely deciding to lead a very limited hunting party on your own without reinforcements could be seen as... overconfidence."

"Overconfidence, Sigmund?  You wound me.  Why, we aren't dealing with something as complex as Gr... Grum..." the Space Marine Captain paused as he stifled what surely couldn't be a spasm of dread, what with the Astartes feeling no fear and all, "THAT Ork isn't here.  We just have stragglers that need sword and bolter to send to the wind."

"I... suppose so, sir.  But, cleansing a world completely from Orks is a nigh-impossible goal."

"That's why we're here Sigmund.  Because we're Ultramarines.  We DO the Impossible.  I wonder if this is how Guilliman felt when he began the Great Crusade.  Standing on the edge of civilization looking out into the unknown with only the assured knowledge that victory will soon be in your grasp...  Stunning, isn't it?"

Novenus was about to respond when the the ground shook and birds took to the skies.  Something was coming.  Something big.

A giant, half-rusted mechanical head the size of a Predator turned the corner around a hill and the air echoed with an off-tune whistle that burst into something resembling song,

"WHOZ DA BEST?  GREENZ DA BEST!  WHOZ DA BEST?  ORKS DA BEST!  ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS..."

The two Marines stood in shocked silence for a moment before Maximus spoke.

"Sigmund?  I think we're going to need a bigger boat."
----------------------------------------------------------------

To Be Continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Waaaghpower

Based off of the half-dozen or so games I've played in 8th so far...

This ain't gonna go so well for the Space Marines. Unless I'm way off the mark here, that's simply not enough firepower to deal with that volume of Boyz. Gravcannons aren't suited to kill Tanks anymore with S5, and lack volume of fire to kill Ork Boyz...
I dunno. Maybe if he has a really good first turn and you manage to whiff Da Jump or your post-jump Charge...

I guess I'll just wait and see. But my teef are on the Orks.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Mabbz

Yay! You're back!

Quote from: BigToof on June 25, 2017, 12:46:58 AM
Grotzx10
Battlewagon w/Deffrolla
Battlewagon w/Deffrolla
Lootasx5
Gorkanaut BigToof (Deffstorm mega-shoota, 2 Rokkits, 2 Twin Big shootas, Skorcha)

Bikersx5 w/Gravgunsx2
Devestatorsx5 w/MLx4

That looks... decidedly mismatched. Maybe I'm wrong (I haven't really seen the new Ork or Space Marine rules) but are you sure that's actually equal points? The Marines look significantly outnumbered and outgunned, kinda like my first game of 8th, where I didn't realise I had to pay for basic equipment but my oppponent did. Or perhaps you've missed something off the SM list, it does say 4 vehicles when I only count 3.

Not that it matters much, I'd be rooting for an Ork win even if you had half the forces.

Cammerz

Nothing could make me happier than the return of Big Louie.

Welcome back BT, hopefully this impending win will be the first of many new battle reports.

BigToof

Thank you all for the kind words!
It's good to be back.
Replies first thent he rest of the rep!

Quote from: Waaaghpower on June 25, 2017, 07:29:01 AM
Based off of the half-dozen or so games I've played in 8th so far...

This ain't gonna go so well for the Space Marines. Unless I'm way off the mark here, that's simply not enough firepower to deal with that volume of Boyz. Gravcannons aren't suited to kill Tanks anymore with S5, and lack volume of fire to kill Ork Boyz...
I dunno. Maybe if he has a really good first turn and you manage to whiff Da Jump or your post-jump Charge...

I guess I'll just wait and see. But my teef are on the Orks.

Hi Waaaghpower,
You're not wrong.  Grav just can't cut it like it used to and Horde Ork is actually viable (scarily enough).
Let me know what you think of the rep!

Quote from: Mabbz on June 25, 2017, 10:39:23 AM
Yay! You're back!

Quote from: BigToof on June 25, 2017, 12:46:58 AM
Grotzx10
Battlewagon w/Deffrolla
Battlewagon w/Deffrolla
Lootasx5

Bikersx5 w/Gravgunsx2
Devestatorsx5 w/MLx4

That looks... decidedly mismatched. Maybe I'm wrong (I haven't really seen the new Ork or Space Marine rules) but are you sure that's actually equal points? The Marines look significantly outnumbered and outgunned, kinda like my first game of 8th, where I didn't realise I had to pay for basic equipment but my oppponent did. Or perhaps you've missed something off the SM list, it does say 4 vehicles when I only count 3.

Not that it matters much, I'd be rooting for an Ork win even if you had half the forces.

Hi Mabbz,
The Marines are scarily outgunned and outmanned, but you know, Orks and all.
I'm not off on my points as far as I know, but Orks stayed about the same while SM mech became hella more expensive.
i.e. 110 pt. Razorbacks??
Hope you like the rep!

Quote from: Cammerz on June 25, 2017, 11:05:55 AM
Nothing could make me happier than the return of Big Louie.

Welcome back BT, hopefully this impending win will be the first of many new battle reports.

Hi Cammerz,
Perhaps you know me too well :)
I was so glad fluff-wise that Weirdboys are still worthwhile so I can keep Lorilune and BigToof has a new role.
I'm not set yet on my list, but I'm hope you like this one.
More are DEFINITELY to come.

Best,
-BT

-------------------------------------------------------------
Pre-Game Thoughts: Huh, that's not a lot of Marines.  My opponent had some not-so-kind words about the costs of vehicles (they should be "free" after all?) and said that he would take grav just to see how good it is.
I, on the other hand, have a lot of math-hammer on my side and the potential for some dirty tricks, but I have NO idea as to how well it will work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Deployment: Wow, is deployment different.
We take turns to deploy units and whoever deploys FIRST gets to choose to go first or second.

Mentally counting my units, I am CLEARLY going second.

The Marines start deploying first and put a Razorback on the hill.  I counter by putting BigToof on the hill (hi!).  My opponent clearly has some concerns about the big guy as he castles up near the center with all of his units lined up to fire with the Bikes in the front.  My mates end up a bit more spread out, with the Battlewagons flanking 'Toof and Louie and Axl in the back with the two big units of boys near them.  I decide to let the Grotz chill in the right flank with orders to advance if things start looking really grim.
I (not surprisingly) fail to seize initiative and we're off to the races!

Picture Caption: These boyz in my backfield?  Don't worry about them.  Nothing sinister at all I reckon!
--------------------------------------------------

-----------------------
Turn 1: Ultramarines
-----------------------

Captain Excelsior Maximus stood mouth agape looking at the rusting beheamoth that stood at the front of the Ork line.

"Sigmund!  What is that thing?"

Librarian Novenus checked the most recent surveys that were, as usual to most Orkish creations, rather disturbing.  "It appears to be some kind of Orkish Knight, sir."

Maximus gasped in surprise and then narrowed his eyes in disgust.  "It's an abomination, it's what it is.  FIRE EVERYONE!  FIRE!"

-------------------------------------------------

The Bikes move to my left trying to go for a potential flank and then the firepower of everything within range goes at BigToof.  But, with a bit of Orky luck (AKA my opponent rolls not so great) I take a few shots, but it's not enough to slow the big guy down!

Picture Caption: OPERATION DISTRACTION CARNIFEX is a success!

-----------------------------
Turn 1: Orks
-----------------------------
Massive amounts of firepower sailed through the air and lanced into the enormous hide of the Gorkanaut.  A shudder ran through the machine and chunks of mostly soldered-on metal flew off, making Big Mek Wingnut yelp and hide behind his bike.  The shimmering Kustom Forcefield held on though and the Gorkanaut, though damaged, seemed mostly intact.

BigToof's voice rumbled out of the speakers in the Gorkanaut,
"'EY LOUIE!  I FINK DEY'S SHOOTIN' AT ME!  KAN I GO KRUMP 'EM NOW?!"

Wingnut nodded, realized after a few moments that the massive Kan didn't see him and then yelled out, "Yeah!  Go fer it!"

"OKEY-DOKEY!  HEY YOUZ BEAKIES!  IT'S KRUMPIN' TIME!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorilune held onto her staff as the ground trembled with each massive footfall.  Clearly the Mon-Keigh were distracted.  Now for her masterstroke.
"Team One!  Be ready!  Axl, release your Warp charge!"

A strange grating sound went through the air, and Lorilune looked over as the strange ebon-clad Ork dropped a pair of dark spectacles over his eyes and began to strum on the wires strung across his staff.  A howling wail came out, causing Lorilune to hold onto her ears in torment, but her eyes widened with surprise as she saw the reaction from the Orks around her.  A strange greenish energy began to build up within them and they began to bob their heads and stamp their feet.

Cries of "Yeah, dat's right!" and "Orks is made fer rokkin'!" filled the air and then Axl turned a few screws on his staff and began to visciously strum the ramshackle instrument with sweat flinging from his body.  A rumbling growl came out from both staff and Ork who began to howl out non-sensicle profanities and growls.

Lorilune tried to keep something deep within her from tapping its foot along in time.  The Orks around her, though, were less restrained and the Orks began to throw themselves against each other and shoot their Sluggas into the air while screaming with barely-contained mayhem.

The largest and most dangerous mosh-pit of all time soon manifested and Lorilune smirked as she felt the power of the WAARGH! build up onto her fingertips.  If the Orks liked Axl's little trick then they would love what would be coming up next...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for trickery!  (hopefully)

My big three move forward and Louie and Axl skitter about readying their psychic power.
Both Warpath and Da Jump go off (giving both a few wounds with perils) and THIRTY BOYZ suddenly appear on the left flank of the Marines.

The Tankbustas release Lucky the Bomb Squig, who, with the now re-rolling Rokkits(!), slam into the left-most Razorback, detonating it and damaging the surrounding squads.
The Lootas take down two  bikes and BigToof shoots wildly into the Devestators, whittling them down to just a few Marines.

Then we go to assault.  I need 9" to get in.  I roll for charge aiming at both of the Razorbacks and Devestators.  Overwatch is thankfully not very painful, and with a command point, the Orks MAKE their charge and get stuck in!  (Re-rolling a single die on 2d6 is very, very nice).

My opponent's jaw drops when I tell him that the Sluggas get FIVE attacks each and are now S4 (lovely buff from 8th), which easily wipes away the Devs and almost tears apart one Razorback and takes some wounds off the last Razorback.  Consolidation lets me rope in the Centurions.

Picture Caption: SURPRISE!

---------------------------
Turn 2: Ultramarines
--------------------------
"This is inconceivable!"

Captain Maximus was waving his Thunder Hammer as a veritable rain of crazed Orks began to rain from a gigantic portal in the sky.  He had raced forwards on his bikes to try and push them back, but it was far too little too late.

The green tide descended on the Marines next to him and Maximus could only shake his head in shock as Orks of every kind and size were overrunning his position!  How cruel and unfair the universe could be! he thought as he smashed the skulls of the Orks around him.  If only Sigmund had warned him of such atrocity!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
My opponent is clearly rattled, but he wants to try and do some damage.

Everyone who can (not the very badly damaged surrounded Razorback as he can't clear the horde he's surrounded in) falls back, meaning that the Razorback and Centurions can't fire but won't suffer the hits back.  Maximus moves up to assault and the Bikes try and slow down the Tankbustas.

The Bikes find that Grav isn't very good against Battlewagons and then charge in to do... no damage.  The Battlewagon hits back (yes, that's something they do now) and my opponent finds out that Wagons with Rollas are quite dangerous, mowing down one bike with glee.
Maximus squishes some Orks, suffers a few wounds back and then the Boyz finish off the Razorback, destroying the squad inside and then move towards the beleaguered Captain.

Picture Caption: FALL BACK!

-----------------------
Turn 2: Orks
-----------------------

Lorilune and Axl do their magic again (thankfully without perils this time) and shoot the last big squad over behind the Marines to sandwich them in.  Shooting takes down the last of the Centurions.

BigToof assaults in and peels the last bikes off the Battlewagon and the new Warpath'd up
The Boyz MAKE their assault (again with a command point) and then go to surround the Razorback, severely damaging it and nigh-surrounding the last Tac squad.

Maximus takes some more wounds as he bonks the heads off some more Orks.

Picture Caption: SECOND WAVE GO!

And that's where we call it.

Result: ORK VICTORY!

-------------------------------------

Post-Game Thoughts: By Gork and Mork that was ugly!

Big Louie's Warpath and Jump combo is just as nasty as I thought it was going to be.  FIVE S4 attacks per Ork is just crazy and the charge distance (though it seemed far) was actually not impossible with Command Points as you can keep a high-rolled die (like a five or six) and then re-roll the other die to make the distance.  Worked pretty well and having so many Orks suddenly manifest on your flank really changes the dynamic of the game.

Tankbustas are still hella solid.  I was worried that they would lose their teeth as Tanks are just so sturdy now, but now that they have re-rolls and Rokkits do THREE wounds each, you don't need so many hits to bring a tank down.  Plus, tanks are so pricey, you don't see AS many as you used to.

Lootas are pretty decent as there's a lot of 2 wound models out there (bikes, etc) and forcing saves at -1 actually makes them useful.  Lootas in Battlewagons are pretty nice, as the Battlewagon's special rules makes it so the Lootas don't suffer movement penalties.

And last, but not least, is my DISTRACTION CARNIFEX Bigtoof.
The big guy actually didn't DO that much, but he put wounds on people here and there and just tanked so many shots that could have crippled my army.  KFF still works wonders! (thanks Wingnut!)  Oh, yes, and he does hit like a boss as the Bikes didn't stand a chance.

Looking forward to the next game!

Let me know if there's something you want me to see on the board, as I think the future will be Orky!

------------------------------------------------------
---------------
Epilogue
---------------

Ex-Farseer Lorilune surveyed the war-torn battlefield from the confines of her perfumed soaking tub.  It was the proper reward for a half-decent battle.  Although the Orks tried their best to sabotage her wondrous plan, even they could fall into the simple yet devious mechanization that she had devised.  Indeed it had turned out to be a good day.

Then, the roof to her small room room rumbled, and Lorilune dived underneath the water as the entire ceiling ripped free.
An enormous pair of luminous eyes looked down at her as she sputtered back to the surface, wiping suds and her composure out of her eyes.

"'EY LOUIE!" roared BigToof, "I DONE FOUND YOU!  I FINK WE WON!"

Snarling, Lorilune felt the Orkish energy form around her and it took a great deal of concentration to keep it from bubbling her water away.

"Yes, we've won.  Now let me be!  This is only a temporary solution to our problems.  The Mon-Keigh will return so it is best if we take what we have won for now."

The large machine shuddered and turned it's head this way and that.  Then, with a gesture that somewhat mimed embarrassment it said in a rumbling whisper, "UH, LOUIE, DID I DO GOOD?"

Lorilune sighed, weighed her options and considered the best reponse that would allow her a moment's respite.
"Yes, yes, you did well.  Now can you go off and do whatever it is that you were doing very very far away from here?"

BigToof clapped his enormous hands and turned quickly, bellowing, "'EY WINGNUT!  LOUIE DONE SAID I..."

A crash and shriek brought BigToof's attention back to the room that Big Louie had been sitting in.  He should have really put the roof down before turning around.  The now half-smashed in building was glowing with a familiar, pants-wettingly terrible green energy, and BigToof ran as fast as he could on his enormous legs.

Nobody was bigger than Big Louie.  Nobody.

---------------------------------------------------

Captain Excelsior Maximus was giving his report to the Battle Barge overhead.  Shaking his head, he said somberly, "I am afraid to report that the Ork numbers are far in excess than expected.  Hundreds, no thousands of the monsters descended on us from every angle.  It was only through sheer luck that I was able to survive.  We'll go back as soon as they've left to look for survivors."

"Yes, Captain," said the response from the orbital comms, "What are your orders until then?"

"We wait, dash it all.  The Orks may have won this day, but Ultrimar will have it's pound of flesh!"

Maximus then paused after a moment of thought and added, "But, in the meantime send down some of the good amasec and a treatise of Primarch Guilliman's most recent speeches.  I need to take a break.  Heavens knows I've earned it..."

BigToof Points:

Waaaghpower

Yeah... Saw that coming. I've used the exact same tactic a couple times, and it absolutely demolishes tightly-packed deployments. Looks like 8th is all gonna be about buff bubbles and area denial.

Fun to read, though!

BigToof

Quote from: Waaaghpower on June 26, 2017, 01:22:37 AM
Yeah... Saw that coming. I've used the exact same tactic a couple times, and it absolutely demolishes tightly-packed deployments. Looks like 8th is all gonna be about buff bubbles and area denial.

Fun to read, though!

Thanks for the reply Waaaghpower!
I really did like playing the game, but oof was it brutal.
I do worry about anti-tank for the Orks especially fliers as it looks like that could be a serious issue.
Is there anything in particular Ork-wise that you've found especially interesting/good?

I was a bit surprised by the lack of replies.
I hope it's a "no news=good news" thing, but perhaps I should bring out a different faction?  (i.e. Eldar or IG?)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Mabbz

Sorry for my lack of reply, in my case I have a bad habit of reading posts on my phone then forgetting to reply because I prefer posting from my laptop. So I wouldn't worry about a lack of responses, people probably have similar boring reasons. And I can assure you, your writing is as good as ever, although I would never turn down a report with Lady Jenna  ;). Also, I heard that Guard were a real powerhouse this edition, and I'm curious if thats true.

So anyways, the battle. I am immensely glad that my Tau haven't been on the receiving end of any powers like Da Jump, because even with Tau supporting fire, that kind of charge sounds horrible. I've said it previously elsewhere, but this edition really looks like it'll be the edition of hordes and support characters. I look forward to reading your reports and seeing what you make of it.

Cammerz

I can confirm, I have a similar boring reason.

I'd heard about Da Jump before and like Mabbz I imagined the terrible impact it'd have on a Tau gunline.

You mentionned that your Battlewagon was able to attack in close combat, is that strictly a result of the deffrolla or can all vehicles do this? I was also wondering, given vehicles have statlines now do they have leadership values? Can a fear-causing unit scare a Land Raider off the table or do they have Fearless?

The fluff was just as great as I remember it, Lorilune is one of the top characters and I'd love to read more from her perspective, but I'll echo Mabbz once more as I too enjoy reading Lady Jenna as well.

As much as I like that you won, it'd be nice if future battles could last a little longer so we could get a bit more action and fluff, maybe spamming Da Jump at everyone should be used sparsely outside tournament play?

Job's a good un!

Mabbz

Quote from: Cammerz on June 28, 2017, 05:02:12 PM
You mentionned that your Battlewagon was able to attack in close combat, is that strictly a result of the deffrolla or can all vehicles do this? I was also wondering, given vehicles have statlines now do they have leadership values? Can a fear-causing unit scare a Land Raider off the table or do they have Fearless?
All vehicles can attack now, as it's meant to represent ramming and tank shocking. Also, while vehicles do have leadership values and morale, morale test only happen when a unit loses model, not wounds. So single model units are basically fearless.

Waaaghpower

In response to all the people worried about Da Jump...
You can stop worrying. It's not NEARLY as broken against all armies as it seems, you just have to be prepared for it. 8th edition isn't about Hordes and Auras, it's about Hordes, Auras, and Screening.

If your army list lacks a couple screening units, you're going to be in a tight spot, but if you throw in a couple MSU that can deploy out and prevent deep strikers of all flavors from hitting your vulnerable, tender bits, you'll be a lot better off. A 9" Radius is pretty big, and a horde of Ork Boyz is also pretty big.

However, I've discovered new cheese you can do with two Weirdboys and Orks, if you're playing against Tau or Sisters of Battle or Guard - Basically any army that's T3.

'Eadbanger.

I've killed a fully-healed, 2++ protected Autarch in one shot, as well as a Celestine, because 'Eadbanger is really broken as long as you can get it into the right position against a T3 army. I'm sure this will be less effective as time goes on, but for now, opponents seem to be leaving their characters semi-vulnerable in the back if those characters are tanky, because they assume that any Deep Striker will be too large to fit or won't be able to cause enough damage to kill them. Weirdboys are just a single model that can squeeze in tiny gaps, though, and as long as you've got a Command Point lying around their power has about a 75% chance of instapopping any T3 character. (If your opponent lacks a tanky T3 character, just take Warpath instead.)

As for killing fliers, that one is easy: Stormboyz. Just assault the flier and rip it to pieces. The only fliers that are T8+ are Forge World (At least that I've found,) and none that I've seen have better than a 3+ save. Fifteen charging Stormboys will put 6 wounds on a flier with a 3+ save, 8 wounds on a 4+ save, and 9 wounds on a 5+ save. 

Or just ignore them? Also a possibility, depending on the volume of them and the mission type.

If you don't mind a bit of Cheese, (Or a lot of cheese, actually,) Zhardsnark Da Rippa, from the Forgeworld Index, is much better than an equivalent (*On a Bike, with a Power Klaw and Attack Squig) Ork Warboss for about ten points. In fact, given completely average dice, he can solo two Warbosses.
Math:
Spoiler

Due to the range of Zhardsnark's guns, he can shoot them while remaining out of charge range, but if the Warbosses want to shoot, they will have to Advance - Giving them a -1 to hit - And will also have to move into Zhardsnark's charge range. (He has a 15" move, 6" advance, and re-rollable charge, but Warbosses need to be within 18" to shoot. Zhardsnark is strong enough to one-shot a Warboss, killing him before the Warboss can strike back - With average dice he causes 7 wounds that the Warboss can't save, plus 1 Mortal Wound. The other Warboss can charge in and strike back, but will only get 5 wounds on average after saves. Even with all of the preceding shooting, that'll only get one more wound. Zhardsnark then has two rounds of fighting to attack the second Warboss before he can strike back again.
(Yes, I realize that this fight is in an unrealistic vacuum, but it's still a fun thought experiment.)

Basically, Zhardsnark is absolutely worth the ten extra points, as he's universally better in all contexts with zero downsides unless you plan on running another named Ork character and want their clan benefits.

Cammerz

Jump infantry can attack flyers now? That changes things quite a lot for them.

Also do fear-causing units no longer exist because I could imagine them causing vehicles some grief.