News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

My 750 point return to Tau

Started by Mabbz, April 12, 2017, 03:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

For many years now, my Imperial Guardsmen have been my regular army. Outside of unusual games like Kill Team, my Tau have sat gathering dust.

But no longer. After realising that all the regulars at my local GW are using Armies of the Imperium (we had a 3 vs 3 game, and everyone brought some form of Imperium), I have decided that it's time to return to my blue-skinned roots. Of course, the last time I played Tau, Riptides didn't exist, so I have a lot of catching up to do. I suppose it helps that my perpetual poverty means I wont be buying new units very often.

Still, enough rambling. I'm going to take some photos at some point and put them up in the hobby board, but for now here's my 750pts list (that's the standard at my GW lately), comments and criticism appreciated.

Formations:
My Tau are organised using the Hunter Cadre formation (and by extension, the Hunter Contingent detachment) described in the normal Tau Codex (no expansions here). For those who are unaware, this gives me a couple of restrictions on my units, but also a few special rules:

- Re-rollable Warlord Trait
- The ability to combine multiple units firepower into one super unit. Effectively this lets me use Markerlights more easily, plus giving me a bonus to my Bs if three or more units fire at one target.
- The ability to run then shoot, provided I stay close to my HQ choices.
- Longer range on the Supporting Fire rule

HQ:
Shas'O: Iridium Battlesuit, 2 Plasma Rifles, Target Lock, Drone Controller, 2 Marker Drones, Onager Gauntlet - 158pts

Troops:
Strike Team (10) - 90pts
Strike Team (10) - 90pts
Kroot Carnivores (10): Sniper Rounds - 70pts

Elites:
Crisis Battlesuit: 2 Flamers - 32pts

Fast Attack:
Pathfinder Team (5) - 55pts
Pirhana: Fusion Blaster - 50pts
Pirhana: Fusion Blaster - 50pts

Heavy Support:
Broadside Battlesuit: TL Heavy Rail Rifle, TL Smart Missile System - 65pts
Broadside Battlesuit: TL Heavy Rail Rifle, TL Smart Missile System - 65pts

Total: 749pts

The Strike teams, Pathfinders and Broadsides provide a gunline, often combining fire to share markerlight tokens and gun down enemy infantry. The Kroot infiltrate into a decent firing position, and either annoy people with their sniper rounds or lure the enemy into attacking them (keeping my gunline safe for another couple of turns.

The pirhanas are my primary anti-tank, as well as being fast enough to outflank my enemy and hopefully confuse them on which way to send their forces. The flamer Crisis suit is similar, deep striking close behind an enemy squad and roasting a few models, forcing them to either waste time dealing with a 32 point model or ignore him and let him make double or triple his points back.

Finally, my Shas'O bounces around the edges, further luring my enemies away from anything valuable and providing markerlight support, either being ignored and denying my opponent a point for slay the warlord, or being chased and using his maneuverability to avoid combat for as long as possible while the rest of my army whittles them down. He's also backup anti-tank with his donkey punch.

Essentially, the army is supposed to dance around trying to get my opponent to chase everything and catch nothing. It's proven fairly effective in the few games I've had so far, although my anti-tank has been doing poorly (why do so many of my opponents take land raiders at 750pts?). I've been considering swapping the Broadsides for a Hammerhead with Railgun and submunitions, but I'm not sure how well it'd work.

Thoughts?