?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: Matched Play Beta Changes  (Read 150 times)

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 27
  • Mayhem, Carnage and Laffs.
    • View Profile
Matched Play Beta Changes
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
Hi All,
In case you weren't aware, there are a few beta matched play changes that have gone out.

There's some clarification for the character targeting shenanigans (thank goodness), but most importantly Smite has gotten a nerf (every additional attempt causes a -1).  This is huge as it hurts the big smite spam armies and that might (?) bring back some elite armies...

Although oddly enough Orks can still smite spam, but at least now there isn't a pressure to try massed IG or brimstone psyker spam.

Thoughts?

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Now that things are setted matched play wise, more batreps coming soon!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
Re: Matched Play Beta Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
Where can I find these changes? Are they on an Faq?

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 27
  • Mayhem, Carnage and Laffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 02:56:14 AM »
Where can I find these changes? Are they on an Faq?

Warhammer Community Page.
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 07:16:28 AM »
Thank you kindly.

I've gotta say, this hasn't fixed my two biggest problems with character targeting. For starters, even if the character is the only enemy model visible on the entire battlefield, I apparently still can't shoot him if theres another unit hiding behind a building somewhere closer. That seems kinda dumb. Also, if even one member of a tactical squad remains alive, I can't target Guilliman despite him being twice the size and far more obvious and scary a target.

Funny thing is, these are both pretty easily resolved by making only visible units count for target priority, and by making bigger characters easier to target than smaller ones. Perhaps a rule along the lines of the following:

Count the total unmodified wounds stats of all enemy models closer than the target character. If the number is greater than the unmodified wound stat of the target character, the character may be chosen as a target in the shooting phase.

A bit awkwardly worded, but I think it works. That would mean that a Tau Commander would need at least seven fire warriors between him and the enemy to avoid being shot rather than just one. It also opens up the possibility of "mini sniper" weapons, that count characters wound stats as being X higher than normal for the purposes of targeting characters (Tau Rail rifles for example, could get a bonus so that they could hit an enemy Tau Commander unless there's 9+ enemy fire warriors in the way, rather than 7+)

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 03:54:34 PM »
I really don't care for the change to Smite, because it shows that Games Workshop either doesn't care about, or just forgot about, Grey Knights. (And, to a lesser extent, Thousand Sons.)
Like... We're paying for psychic ability on every unit in our army. Our Smite is already nerfed to make that fair and reasonable. Now, though, we're paying for psychic ability on every unit in our army, but we're not even allowed to use a large chunk of it.
(In a 2k list of pure Grey Knights, I get around 15-16 uses of Psychic Powers, +1 if I use the Strategem to get an extra power. Even assuming I want to use all six Grey Knight powers, that means I'm casting Smite between nine and eleven times.)
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Offline Irisado

• Shas'Saal
  • Karma 3
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
    • View Profile
    • 40K Online
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »
I'm guessing that this issue for Grey Knights and Thousand Sons will be addressed once the codices are released for these two armies.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Deraj

• Irongut
  • Shas'El
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 01:10:35 AM »
Grey Knights have a new codex though...

I really, really, really want to like 8th edition, but it is just not doing anything for me.

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
I'm guessing that this issue for Grey Knights and Thousand Sons will be addressed once the codices are released for these two armies.
As already pointed out, Grey Knights have a codex. It's already pretty terrible - The weakest codex by far, and one of the weaker factions in general. This would be the final nail in the coffin for anyone wanting to play pure Grey Knights.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Offline Irisado

• Shas'Saal
  • Karma 3
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
    • View Profile
    • 40K Online
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
I haven't been paying enough attention, since I'd overlooked that their codex had been released.  Thanks for the correction.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

anything