?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: New Year Hobby Resolutions  (Read 583 times)

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
New Year Hobby Resolutions
« on: December 25, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »
Merry Christmas to all, and to all lots of presents  :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:07:44 AM by Sorck »

Offline Cammerz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 10
    • View Profile
Re: New Year Hobby Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »
Happy New Year all, time to start on those hobby-related resolutions. I've got a lot to paint.
"Should fatherhood ever creep up on me, I hope that I will do a much better job than the Emperor." - Unknown Facebook commenter, 018.M3

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:16:09 PM »
Same. Mostly skeletons, at least until the new tau codex comes out.

Offline Narric

• Daemon Loremaster of Elsinqart
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 08:26:18 PM »
Happ Ne Yea

I've decided to track my hobby tall in my sig. Off to a fantastic start after day 1 this year :P
>> Elsinqart Lore Blog <<

Hobby Tally 2018
Wargame Models Built: 4 (Latest: Tomb Lords Marine)
Wargame Models Painted: 0

Offline Deraj

• Irongut
  • Shas'El
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »
My... hobby list recently threw a wrench in its own works. I bought the shadows over hammerhal set this summer on prize support and let it gather dust ever since (using a sequel to silver tower is hard when the groups Ive played with have gotten 2/8, 4/8, 5/8, of the way through it since summer) but now I decided... well, I'm tired of playing beastclaw in aos because Im so sick of the whining about my OP army that I came close to quitting. Then I played with my phoenix guard from fantasy thinking 'well, elves don't have a full army, these will suck' at which point I got first place in 2 tournaments in a row and shelved them too. So... what does this have to do with anything?

The shadows box set comes with a unit of blood reavers, a chaos sorcerer, a unit of putrid blightkings, and a unit of kairic acolytes... also known as ~600 points of chaos. My LGS is starting a year long tournament series going 750-1k-1250-1500-1750-2k, so now seems to be the perfect time to start a new army. My problem is that I saw a great way to paint a pinkish maroon cloth, so I settled on that for cloth and liked it, then I decided to use the purplish brass from the sisters of silence for all my metallics, then decided... well, I want my army to be themed around fighting death (great timing with malign portents) so I want to paint the armor paneling bone. I thought it looked alright, nothing too amazing, and think the bone color is the problem... and upon going to a hobby shop this weekend and seeing that that's the color scheme of a group in warmachine, fell out of love with the scheme. I can't think of a color to do instead of bone that will work well with the brass and pink though, which I like. Black might work, but... black is boring and overdone. I want something neutral, because I want to play mortals of all 4 gods and have them coalesce...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline Narric

• Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts?
Try websites like this: http://htmlcolorcodes.com/color-picker/
They'll show you good colour mixes, like if a colour contrasts with it or not. If you have one, try looking for the older Citadel and Space Marine painting guides GW made a few years ago. Not the more recent smaller chunks ones, but the two full books. they'll be the best resource I reckon.

Had my first session of D&D tonight. Currently playing a Ranger with a "Raised by Wolves" style backstory, and a flaw of believing in survival of the fittest. Great mix for a Chaotic Neutral character.

Ended up becoming a temporary guardian to a young Dwarf girl we found in a ruined temple to a goddess of death housing a dozen or so Goblins.

Managed a few one-hit kills, the first being on a sentry, the other on the end-of-dungeon "boss" XD

Oh, and one of the party kept messing with my character psychologically while at the end of it all I'm now some sort of vocal point for previously mentioned goddess of death.

Oh, become a waitress, I tip well :P

Hobby Tally 2018

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 12:14:49 AM »
I think my aim for the year is going to be pretty minimal. Probably paint up my Ork combat patrol (big mek, 3 kanz, a few grotz, maybe some boyz though I'm trying to keep the mek & grot theme).

I'm considering necrons but I'm debating what metallic colour to go for, and what the light colour on the mode should be. Purple or a cold blue are quite tempting.

On the IG side of things I'd like to get some more cadians painted up, but suspect that won't happen!

And for Tyranids I have nearly two full space hulk stealer sets, a termagant brood, and a tervigon. They could do with painting but I can't decide on a scheme. Ideally it should be one with a fairly quick time per gaunt, and per gargoyle, so I can get lots of numbers into the army. I would really like a full Gargoyle brood. They look so menacing. But they'd probably need a companion flyrant or two to be really menacing.

Offline Deraj

• Irongut
  • Shas'El
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 02:47:26 AM »

Had my first session of D&D tonight. Currently playing a Ranger with a "Raised by Wolves" style backstory, and a flaw of believing in survival of the fittest. Great mix for a Chaotic Neutral character.

For my dwarf barbarian that's the background I rolled. I decided to take the path of the wolf features because of it, and it was really fun... until the dm decided at level 5 that the campaign which has a druid, a ranger, a dwarf barbarian raised by wolves, and a wood elf cleric will take place entirely in one city, no matter how hard we try to leave.

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
  • Mayhem, Carnage and Laffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 12:55:37 PM »
My resolution is to try and find a way to make battle reports more interesting and not be too overwhelming time wise.

...  I've been doing a lot of TTRPG lately.  I've done Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark and some D&D 5th...

Maybe we should make a thread to share war stories?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Offline Cammerz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 03:13:44 PM »
Well now that this is in the Hobby board I feel I need to make it more official.
I'm currently working on:
The Dark Imperium Primaris Marines (40k)
All-Mounted Empire army (WHFB)

and sitting in various stages of completion I have:
Lots of Skaven (mostly unpainted)
Wood Elves (entirely unpainted)
Chaos Space Marines, Cultists and Daemons (about half painted)
An Imperial Guard Leman Russ Vanquisher (painted but I'm not happy with the current scheme)
An as-of-yet unopened Tau Fireblade that I got for Xmas

The Primaris are my current focus, the scheme will be Heresy-era Alpha Legion with a metallic blue (I'm using two coats of Runefang Steel which will be followed up with several glazes of Girlyman Blue). Of the 22 models, three are onto their second coat of silver.
With the Primaris and Empire I'm looking to try my hand at textured bases, I've picked up pots of Stirland Mud (when dry I gather I'll need to drybrush over it with Tyrant Skull) and Valhallan Blizzard for a fancy snow effect. With the cavalry I'm planning on having more snow for the front rank and almost entirely mud for the rest to show the passage of the horses (and demigryphs).
"Should fatherhood ever creep up on me, I hope that I will do a much better job than the Emperor." - Unknown Facebook commenter, 018.M3

Offline Narric

• Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 06:39:59 PM »
I probably should actually make a list of the wargames projects I've got going on XD Bear in mind, I'm not in a position to play with this stuff, so mostly its just building and painting with no real playability put into it.

Tombs Lords Space Marines
- Non-Chaos Heretics, Use Necron Tech[cosmetically]

Space Wolves Army

Fallen Dark Angels
- I have no idea whats going on with official fallen angels stuff, considering they're treated as a product for Dark Angels armies. Are they Loyalists, or Heretics? I'd likely play them as Chaos personally.

Fantasy Dwarf army
- For use with either WHFB/AoS or Leviathan

Fantasy Goblins army
- For use with either WHFB/AoS or Leviathan

Junkers - Void 1.1
- Convict Legionaires with a few Commissar-like individuals to keep it in line.

Republic Army - Afterlife by Anvil Industry
- Mechanized Battlegroup. Pulse Mechs & Exo-Mechs with some less armoured support units.

Hobby Tally 2018

Offline Restayvien

• Pirate Prince
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 38
    • View Profile
    • Battlefleet Fury
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 03:55:35 PM »
I've decided to get back into 40k this year, so I've picked up the latest (8th Ed?) BBB and have agreed with my old opponent that we'll each build a 1000pt force and get some games in later in the year. We may put together a decent gaming too, which would be great as we always used to play on bare floors with pretty poor terrain.

I haven't decided which race I'm going to collect. I have the beginnings of a Khornate force that I started to build years ago (Kharn, 11 Bezerkers, 11 CSMs, 1 Obliterator and a Rhino) so I will probably finish that off. If they were just vanilla models I might not bother, but I did a lot of minor conversions and came up with some background for them so I don't want them to go to waste. I need to upgrade my Kharn model to the newer one!

I also have a squad of Striking Scorpions from when I planned to make a themed Eldar force. I'm going through a bit of a classical-antiquity phase at the moment though, so I'm tempted to go Marines (which I haven't collected for 17 years), but there's a good chance my opponent will do the same.

Part of me really wants to collect Harlequins, but I don't think my painting skills are up to scratch to do them justice.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:51:42 PM by Restayvien »