?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: New Tau Codex  (Read 478 times)

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
  • Mayhem, Carnage and Laffs.
    • View Profile
New Tau Codex
« on: March 10, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
Hi All,
Just FYI for those who don't know it, the New Tau Codex is coming out in about a week (pre-orders up today), and from the leaks and Warhammer Community page, I'm liking the updates!

Things I'm looking forward to:

Sept-linked special abilities: A bit of flavour for each akin to Eldar or Space Marine Chapters.

Price breaks on almost everything!  Riptides and Hammerheads took big price dips and almost everything is cheaper (save you know... gun drones and few others...)

Coldstar with FOUR guns.  Yes, that's right FOUR guns.  Able to move 40" and still shoot.

Riptide with 18 (!) shots of Heavy Burst Cannon.

Strategems.  Finally.

Overall, I feel like it's a good middle-of-the-road Codex.  Nothing too appalling or auto-takes, which is a GOOD thing.  I hope that post FAQ some of the more egregious units out there are brought to line and maybe Tau can shine again?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Offline Ra´Meses

• Shas'Ui
  • Karma 4
    • View Profile
Re: New Tau Codex
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
I am eager for this but I do not know if I can afford buying the Dex. Really limited economy at the moment. But I will try to see if I cannot get enough to afford it.

Have a small Tau force waiting to be built. Well, it is partially built.

A commander with two fusion blasters.
3 Crisis suit bodyguard

3 Stealth suits

2 Fire warrior Strike teams
1 Breached team

8 Pathfinders with associated drones
Plenty of drones

1 Broadside

Since it is only suits and lots of infantry it's seems to be Dal'yth or Vior'la that will suit me best
"AND MY AXE!"

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
I'm looking forward to this. So far the rumours I've seen look pretty straightforward, and I am definitely looking forward to the buff to Coldstars, as mines been so much fun to use so far.

I'm hopefully going to buy it as soon as it gets released, and then I'll come back here with my opinions.

Offline Ra´Meses

• Shas'Ui
  • Karma 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 03:33:49 PM »
I was thinking about doing Farsight enclaves and their Close quarter fire ability looks brutal. But somehow I think Dal'yth extra cover or Vior'las buff on advancing and shooting fits more with the collection I have and my love for the humble footslooger.

"AND MY AXE!"

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »
Agreed so much with all of this.

I'm looking forward to running Farsight and some kind of long-range support.

People are saying that Battlesuits are dead, but Coldstar and Riptides look brutal.

Gun drones seem much more pricey now compared to the humble Fire Warrior, so are we talking Fire Warrior screens now, especially as we need to take a second HQ that is not a Commander?

I've been underwhelmed with Ethereals since forever, but Fireblades just seem kind of... meh.

I don't know, any thoughts?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:18:03 PM »
BTW rumours are saying that the Fourth Sphere expansion was swallowed up by the Warp when someone had the idea to set off a bunch of anti-gravity bombs as an attempt to make FTL travel...

They disappeared... and then decades later came back... changed.

So... Chaos-Tau anyone?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Offline Ra´Meses

• Shas'Ui
  • Karma 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »
Sounds creepy. Chaos Tau sounds like a possibility.

I  would only have one commander regardless, so I hope the Fireblade gets better. I like the idea of a grumpy Tau "Sarge" complaining about how soft the new Shas'Las are  ;D
"AND MY AXE!"

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
Well, I have the codex, so here's my first impressions on the rules (I haven't had a chance to look at the fluff yet).

Firstly, they look very familiar. In most units and weapons remain unchanged aside from cost. I only play power levels these days, so I haven't checked points much, but mostly the changes in cost look straightforward and sensible. Coldstars and Drones have gone up and most other things have stayed the same or gone down.

Speaking of Coldstars, I suspect they'll be the new gem in the codex. There's little else in the game capable of accurately firing 3-4 melta weapons and moving 40" in a single turn. Not to mention the possibility of taking signature systems to increase durability and strength (Coldstar with fusion blades sprang to my mind)

The stratagems are decent enough, nothing really stood out as overly good or bad there (except Bork'ans, which is literally just a single dice re-roll with for certain weapons. You know, because the main rulebook doesn't already have tha covered  :P)

Similarly, the Sept traits seemed fairly balanced, since I kept changing my mind on which I wanted to use (I'm currently leaning towards Da'lyth).

Final thoughts are basically that the codex has helped the Tau quite a bit, but we still aren't nearly as powerful as many of the others, like Eldar. Trouble is, we're still hampered by an average Bs.

Offline Ra´Meses

• Shas'Ui
  • Karma 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »
I am a bad boys. I should not have bought it but I did.

At least I bought the e-book, saving some money.

I have problem of voice. I have a mostly infantry force (20 Strike, 10 Breach, 8 Pathfinder and a bunch of drones) with no transport, a single Broadside, 3 crisis bodyguard, 1 commander in Enforcer with two fusion and 3 Stealths. A Fireblade too.

Dammit, hard choices... Dal'yth, Vior'la or Sac'ea. Maybe Farsight.

"AND MY AXE!"

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:04:32 PM »
I have the Codex as well, and I'm going to play Eldar for a bit longer until the first FAQ drops.

I'm not sure if the Sa'cea trait works first turn and well...  I'm not sure what's really stellar yet.

Nothing really seems that survivable and in the current meta of lots of 1 wound models, all of the multi-wound guns that the Tau have seem a bit overpriced.

Then again, the temptation to take Bor'kan with the potential for a 21" triple tapping Fire Warriors is tempting...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »
I have the Codex as well, and I'm going to play Eldar for a bit longer until the first FAQ drops.

I'm not sure if the Sa'cea trait works first turn and well...  I'm not sure what's really stellar yet.

Nothing really seems that survivable and in the current meta of lots of 1 wound models, all of the multi-wound guns that the Tau have seem a bit overpriced.

Then again, the temptation to take Bor'kan with the potential for a 21" triple tapping Fire Warriors is tempting...

Best,
-BT
the Sa'cea traits just a Ld and Shooting buff. I'm guessing you actually meant the Dal'yth trait (cover when stationary) in which case RAW I'd say no.

Also, Bork'an is cool, but is it as cool as Vior'la 6 shots at 18"?

Offline Deraj

• Irongut
  • Shas'El
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »

If the FAQ is anything like the one for the Daughters of Khaine, I wouldn't really worry about it. They had like... 7 clarifications, and 6 of them were "dont be a dick, use common sense" and the other one was "fine, we don't know why you'd want to, but be a dick, but don't break that pretty model."

I feel like their codices are becoming much more tightly written, as long as you don't actively try to break the wording.

Offline Ra´Meses

• Shas'Ui
  • Karma 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
If you plan to sit tight, Dal'yth seem best. But I was planning to move a bit so then Vior'la seems best.

Sac'ea feel pretty simple and solid though. I like that.
"AND MY AXE!"

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
So I've had the chance to look at the fluff side of the codex. It's mostly just more of the same stuff from before 8th, except for the 4th and 5th spheres of expansion. Here's a quick rundown:

Just before 8th, the imperium set the Damocles Gulf on fire (don't think too hard about how), and since Tau ships aren't warp capable, they're basically stuck with no good places to expand. But, it turns out that they've been experimenting on wrecked imperial ships, and have made their own warp drives,with moderate success in testing.

So, naturally, they build a big fleet and activate all the warp drives at once, accidentally making a huge warp rift that consumes the whole 4th sphere expansion fleet. Oh, and they were broadcasting this live across the empire. Genius.

Anyways 10 years of moping pass, until the Tau pick up a signal from the 4th sphere fleet. Following the signal they find a probe orbiting a stable wormhole of some kind, that they call the startide nexus. They send the 5th sphere fleet (led by Shadowsun) through without any problems and find what's left of the 4th sphere fleet.

The survivors are mostly ok, although they have some lovely stories about being toyed with and slaughtered by monsters, and they claim that... something... rescued them, creating the wormhole in the process. Also the survivor are unusually xenophobic, even massacring prisoners and a kroot uprising when the Tau start capturing nearby planets.

I don't know where the other end of the nexus is in relation to the rest of the galaxy, but the death guard are now attacking and the codex implies thathat Shadowsun might not win this one.

Offline Deraj

• Irongut
  • Shas'El
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 10:25:09 PM »
I like the new fluff. A decent concession to the people who want chaos tau, without actually making them chaos. I also like to see how things are moving forward more and more now.

anything
anything