?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: Most Underrated Units  (Read 172 times)

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
  • Mayhem, Carnage and Laffs.
    • View Profile
Most Underrated Units
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:08:30 AM »
Hi All,
Just wanted to start a thread for something that I noticed in the Eldar book.

Now everyone and their cousin has heard about how OP Dark Reapers are.

And I'm not saying that they're not.  But they do have fierce competition in one unit:  the Guardian.

Now on paper and on fluff, it's no comparison:

The Guardian is the "Underwater Basketweaver" of the Craftworld, easily the cheapest unit with a gun that is... lacking to say the least.  S4, 12" no AP, 1 Damage... at least it rends?

In the past, the Guardian was much maligned and kind of ignored.

But in 8th... times have changed.

The introduction of the Webway Portal stratagem is one  of those things.

It puts them into Deep Strike that you can drop at the end of any of your movement turns.  And, unlike in previous editions, you don't have to drop them in a circular pattern or roll for deviation.  They're just there.

So in a block of 20... that's 40 S4 shots with rending.  Kind of scary when they appear from nowhere.

And in an edition where infantry is so much more important, I've found that they're just good to get to a troublesome unit and EVAPORATE IT.

For, if boosted with Doom and Guide, they can take out darn near anything.  ANYTHING.

In my last game, they took out a unit of 16 Berzerkers that were out of position.  Then a big unit of Poxwalkers just for kicks.

And if you can give them Quickness to let them reposition themselves then you can charge with them.

Yes, you heard me right.  CHARGE.

Because they do fine versus most screening units that are made to just get in the way, and the Guardians thankfully can get so stuck in, they can "capture" an enemy model and prevent the screen from falling back.  That locks up the advance of the units behind it and threatens board control.  Which is half the battle for the Eldar.

Because, let's face it, on paper the Eldar are kind of meh.  Middling strength of shots, middling rate of fire.  Nothing really great... except for the movement phase.

There, the Eldar dominate by being able to move twice with a psychic power, charge after advancing with the proper Stratagem, deep strike and do all kinds of things to really punish your opponent.

You just need to have board control to keep them from doing the same to you.

And that's where Guardians come in.  Plus, they're troops so if you ignore them, they can take an objective away from another unit.

Oh and I forgot one last thing:  The Celestial Shield.  4++ for a CP is so worth it.

Try them out, I think you'll like them.

Best,
-BT

What other gems have you all found?
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Offline Irisado

• Shas'Saal
  • Karma 3
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
    • View Profile
    • 40K Online
Re: Most Underrated Units
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »
Just for the record, Guardians have heavily featured in all my Eldar armies from Rogue Trader through to sixth edition.  If I were still playing, I would use them now.  Mass mid to short range anti-infantry fire power has always been an Eldar strength and Guardians encapsulate that.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
  • Mayhem, Carnage and Laffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »
That's true.

Hadn't thought of it long-term it's just that the Eldar Guardians have been so rubbish about it for the last...  Well... 4 or so editions?

With the new Codex they can come out of the Webway, run up and finally do damage and even stick around and be general pains in the neck.

How were they in the early days?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Offline Irisado

• Shas'Saal
  • Karma 3
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
    • View Profile
    • 40K Online
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »
They were actually pretty handy in all the editions which I played, so long as you weren't playing at the so called top tier tournament level, which I would steer away from regardless of whether playing casually or otherwise.  The only real issue was the range of the Shuriken Catapult which, of course, was totally at odds with the range of the heavy weapons platform.  This is no longer an issue though.

Going back to Rogue Trader and second edition, it was completely different as the Shuriken Catapult had the same range as a Boltgun and a significantly greater capability to cut through armour.  In Rogue Trader, their numbers were limited though, as you mostly had to field Guardians with Lasguns because of an old Lasgun:Shuriken Catapult unit ratio rule.  The rules as a whole were much more complicated for both of these editions.

One thing that has never changed though is that Guardians are not very durable.  Their armour has always been relatively weak.  This is not a complaint on my part though.  The fact that they are citizens, yet they fight so well, already shows just how much of a cut above Imperial conscripts Eldar citizens with basic training actually are.  It does mean though that you have to ensure that you use them carefully.  You can't expect them to hold the line for you.  They are support unit most of the time, not a primary offensive force, which is possibly why they've been referred to as Defender Guardians for so long.  Storm Guardians are also more of a support unit, but have the potential to be used more offensively because of their special weapon options.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

anything