?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: New FAQs - What are people doing at tournaments?  (Read 242 times)

Offline Cammerz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 10
    • View Profile
New FAQs - What are people doing at tournaments?
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
So I've been reading through the latest FAQs that GW have released and I've noticed a couple of changes that can only have been introduced because people were taking the proverbial at tournaments.

1) The rulebook states that you can use any model in your army as your Warlord, if it's a character then you get to make use of Warlord Traits. They have now had to specify that you can't take a Fortification as your Warlord.

2) In the rules for every single mission they've had to re-word the Deployment section, instead of the original 'your units start in your deployment zone' they've had to add in the words "wholly within", evidently people have been using the fact that for a unit to be affected by an aura just one model needs to be within range so they've been doing the same with deployment zones.

Then you get the regulation balancing act that GW has started doing;
Smite is now easier to cast repeatedly if you use units with Brotherhood of X,
You can't use characters as meat shields for other characters,
More command points for Battalion and Brigade detachments,
Iron Hands and Death Guard are now less immortal as you can only use one 'ignore wounds' rule at a time,
Also Guilliman and Dark Reapers are clearly too good so they now cost more.

For more details:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/16/warhammer-40000-big-faq-1-the-low-downgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-2/
"Should fatherhood ever creep up on me, I hope that I will do a much better job than the Emperor." - Unknown Facebook commenter, 018.M3

Offline Narric

• Daemon Loremaster of Elsinqart
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
Re: New FAQs - What are people doing at tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
And this is why Rules as Written should always reflect Rules as Intended XD

Though at the same time, you gotta love the idea that a Fortification has somehow gained control of an entire Army. Could it be the 40k equivalent of SkyNet? :P
>> Elsinqart Lore Blog <<

Hobby Tally 2018
Wargame Models Built: 4 (Latest: Tomb Lords Marine)
Wargame Models Painted: 0

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »
I'm mostly just annoyed that units outside of LoS now prevent targeting characters. I understand the reasoning (I myself have deliberately moved a unit to let my models target a character by ensuring they can't see a closer unit) but this seems like a heavy handed way of doing it.

I also find it weird that the Bork'an stratagem is now even less useful. You now have to use it before determining the number of shots you get, meaning that if you get a 6 then you've wasted a CP for no reason.

Offline Narric

• Daemon Loremaster of Elsinqart
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart Lore Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:59:35 PM »
I'm mostly just annoyed that units outside of LoS now prevent targeting characters. I understand the reasoning (I myself have deliberately moved a unit to let my models target a character by ensuring they can't see a closer unit) but this seems like a heavy handed way of doing it.

I also find it weird that the Bork'an stratagem is now even less useful. You now have to use it before determining the number of shots you get, meaning that if you get a 6 then you've wasted a CP for no reason.
To be fair, these are possibly to balance any tournament play that still occurs. I've not heard any recent events, but stuff like that normally means tourny play is unbalanced.
>> Elsinqart Lore Blog <<

Hobby Tally 2018
Wargame Models Built: 4 (Latest: Tomb Lords Marine)
Wargame Models Painted: 0

Offline Waaaghpower

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »
I kind of hate the FAQ.
The change to FNP is minor, but it actually specifically contradicts old RAI. (They bragged on a Warhammer Community page about how Iron Hands vendreads would get two saves.) They're pretending that they "Never intended" for a rules combo that they explicitly intended for.

Adding CPs is great, except that it sucks for armies without codices. I regularly have to fight a massive uphill battle with my Orks or SoB, who go up against armies that can respond to everything I bring thanks to the flexibility offered by strategems, which I don't have.

Inquisition, SoS, and LotD are all inbad shape, and this FAQ makes them much, much worse.

I'm glad they improved balance on Psychic Focus so that it doesn't kill Grey Knights, at least.

All in all, this FAQ reflects everything wrong (in my opinion) with how GW balances: They don't selectively fix problems and carefully balance, they use a sledgehammer to knock down cheese without concern for how their fixes will hurt smaller or weaker factions.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Offline BigToof

• Battlefield Journalist
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 28
  • Mayhem, Carnage and Laffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 12:23:35 AM »
I'm going to keep playing with the new Beta rules and see how they pan out.

GW is looking for input and they actually seem to look for balance issues, so I hope that pans out.

That said.  Looking forward to an Ork Codex.

Soon?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3