News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

A new players tau army.

Started by Soundwave, July 01, 2012, 05:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soundwave

Recently I and some friends began gathering models to play warhammer 40k I chose tau as I am a fan of 80s era anime mecha design and also enjoy some of the more Orwellian themes  in their fluff. I'd love any feedback you folks would be interested in providing on how I might improve my painting.

My very first Hammerhead.

My first group of stealth suits.

My first broadside, much like the stealth suits i went with something close to a negative of my colorscheme to draw attention to units in their respective roles whilst still tying them into the army as a whole.

My first couple of Xv8s with magnetized weapons.

Some of my infantry, im aware the pulse carbines are subpar but used them anyway as i rather like their look. My friends dont mind in our casual games if I use them as regular rifles. As you can tell from these shots ive begun basing my infantry in an gravel/winter theme.

My first real conversion work was done on my farsight HQ to try to copy the linebacker pose he has in the codex. I think it turned out pretty well. I tried to use silver edging to represent paint wear and tear along the edges of his armor plating.

Here I have my tau piranha ive since redubbed the "mako" I dislike the standard piranha design so i decided to flip the wings back and tilt the engines upside down. This model is also my first use of greenstuff to mount the engines to the hull. In hindsight i ought to get some sandpaper to smooth that stuff after its hardened. Probably would have turned out better.

Everything I've built so far. Whaddya guys think?

GeorgeCrane

For improvement, I would suggest you start cleaning up mold lines and look at guides for shading and highlighting.

This is a well done and handsome army!
Farsight looks good.
How do you get such a good white color?

Will's on Fire

Looks pretty cool to me!

I'd recommend searching "reclusiam" in the search bar and looking through the tutorials our very own (most of the time :shifty: ) Thantos made. I would link you too it but there seems to have been a problem and all the posts have been redistributed. :P

Definitely a bit of shading and highlighting is all you need and you'll be well on your way to improving your armies look.

Great work,

- Will

Soundwave

I've begun cleaning off the mold lines on my next batch of crisis suits and ill be reading through the tutorials here today :D

The white color is something people have asked about before but most people sneer at the method ive used to get it.

I painted these guys from the pot almost entirely with a watered down coat applied for consistency periodically. It avoids the patchy nature of the paint that some people have mentioned. I understand painting from the pots is generally frowned upon, however in this case I think going against the grain has paid off. In most cases I think painting from a palate is superior.

Thantos

Great introduction to the forum Soundwave!  ;D Always great to see lots of pretty minis! I especially like dynamic Farsight!

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on July 01, 2012, 09:44:12 AM
and looking through the tutorials our very own (most of the time :shifty: ) Thantos made.
Im all yours, all the time Will  :-* xD lol

Luckily for you, Soundwave. Its Bonus Karma Fortnight on the Hobby Boards this week! So for posting a whole army, you get a heap of tasty karma! ;) Grats and cant wait to see your progress.

Soundwave

Seeing as how ya liked O Shovah, here are a few dif sides.

:D

Also what is the purpose of karma?

Masked Thespian

Quote from: Soundwave on July 02, 2012, 06:45:27 AMAlso what is the purpose of karma?

Karma is a tool that the moderators have to say "thank you" to the members.  It's a pool of points that can only be given out by moderators and is done so for helping out with the forums, for participating in forum competitions, writing articles, or anything like that.  In your case, we're currently offering bonus Karma for posting pictures of your army, and you just happened to join us at precisely the right moment to take advantage of it.

There is only one real benefit to having Karma (other than letting other people know that you've helped us out); it grants you early access to The Enclave; our off-topic boards that are usually hidden to those who haven't been around too long.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

Soundwave

Ah, thanks for the explanation :D

Soundwave

A line up of all my finished Xv8 suits.

This one is my favorite right now, i built a radome and mounted it on his right arm. The pose I was going for was alarm or surprise but its difficult to tell if it comes through.

Finding decent poses is getting to be a real hassle, Id like to avoid too much repetition in posing if at all possible.

Added another broadside to my army.

Currently im working on twenty or so gundrones, luckily i knocked the bulk of the work out today and can focus on cleanup in the next few days. Hope yall like em.