Author Topic: Changes to Second Sphere in the near future  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
Changes to Second Sphere in the near future
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
At 2S we have decided that we need to make the forums more concise and more capable at handling new 6th edition content. This will involve changes to the board structure (plans can be found at Second Sphere Labs) so that the structure is cleaner and easier to understand. We also plan on archiving all content from previous editions. We won't be doing a 'find and archive' scheme as we've done before but rather we will be completely resetting the forums content (i.e. archiving everything) which will then be able to restore topics from - 'find and restore'.

From a technical perspective this update will make 2S much easier to backup and restore. This should significantly reduce downtime on the main parts of the site - it currently takes several days to restore a backup to the recent posts whilst the new system will let us restore the recent parts of the forum in under a day in theory.

Also, this will fix, and should prevent in the future, the 'crash' problems that we've had. Doing this will undo the fractured topics that are found throughout the forums. It will also eliminate the future chances of such crash problems (i.e. the topic fracturing).

Overall the staff at 2S believe that this is the best way forward for Second Sphere.

This move will incur a small amount of downtime as we have to do some database swapping and code-moving.

-Second Sphere Committees

The downtime and migration is scheduled for the 4th of July, some point between 1500 and 2200 - sorry that I can't give a more accurate time but be assured that the downtime will a) not take long and b) not loose your recent posts. Therefore feel free to continue to post up until (and after!) the downtime with no risk of losing your posts. :)

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to Second Sphere in the near future
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:12:02 PM »
Sorry about the delay in transfer but I have had a busy few days so have lacked the time to transfer everything over.

Assuming everything works properly (tests have shown the code to work so far) we'll have the forums in their new clean, non-jumbled state by this time tomorrow. The '2S Archives' will also be coming back but more on that tomorrow. ;)

anything