News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Contest Schedule 2013 and Onwards

Started by Narric, February 10, 2013, 12:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Hello Painters and Converters of Second Sphere!!

Get those brushes cleaned, your waters changed, and make sure you have a fresh new mini to start painting. Its the return of the Contest board.

Thanks for Sorck and Thantos giving me some support on this.

First off, we need a plan. The Contests have gone into disarray, either from Life getting in the way, or the Forum just going off sick for a spell. Don't worry my Brothers and Sisters, this board shall not die again, and here is my proposal for how we can assure that.

Here is a plan for this year I have put together. I'm sure some questions are already going through your minds, so I shall explain now.

The older contests always kept to the Standard Force Organisation Chart naming routine. This was very suitable for previous editions Warhammer 40k and Fantasy, as not many armies had access to rules that changed were units went in the FOC. Now, we are seeing them with increased regularity, so we need to adapt ourselves to this change. Here is my explanation for each Contest:

Warlords & Special Characters
The Warlords contest is for any and all HQ choice in 40k, Lord or Hero choice in Fantasy, and for any other game system (because theres too many for me to keep track of) if is the contest you enter you Army Leading model into.
However, Special Characters are going to be placed in their own Category. I think this can work, as not everyone uses Characters in their armies. Special Characters is the generic term for any Named person in any gaming System, Be it Ahriman, to Karl Franz, or pretty much any model in the Infinity game :P

Heavy Infantry
Previously the Elites Category. Heavy Infantry shall be any model mounted onto a 40mm or larger base. They are often the head hitting and Hard to kill models in any given army. Warmachine players can enter their "Warjacks?" into this category.

Light Infantry
Previously the Troops Category. Obviously, and model on a 25mm 40k base, or 20mm & 25mm Fantasy bases. Models classed as "Swarms" either by rule of by model should be entered here.

The Cavalry
Not specific to just Cavalry models, this category was previously for Fast Attack units. Anything designed to go fast, such as Bikes, Jetbikes and most skimmers, should go here.

Big Guns
We have not yet got into Apocalypse scale models ;) This is for anything that would be considered Heavy Support. Near exclusively Vehicles, with Monstrous Creatures with Ranged Capability being included also.

Skymasters & Beasts
This category is new(ish), and is for any model classed as a Flyer by 40k rules or is a large flying Monster such as a Dragon in Fantasy.
Beasts is just a temporary name for a category specifically for Monstrous Creature models, that possibly didn't qualify for the Big Guns contest. This includes pretty much every Tyranid model, but can include units like Necron C'tan, and most Greater Daemons.

Writer's United
A contest for creative writing. I hope this doesn't just focus on 40k or Fantasy pieces, and includes writing for most genres. Voters should be encouraged to read each piece in full, and decide there vote based on the story itself, rather than the setting its based.

[Secret until Revealed]
Heh, a couple Contests I thought up to mix up the schedule a bit. I ill obviously take suggestions for these, but the final decision for these shall be left to the Contest Committee.

With all that explained, this is my plan for a normal year (no delays in thread postings, and hopefuly few forum crashes)

So forum, what do you think of my suggestions and plans for the future of our Contests.

Tempest Six Two

It's good Narric, I always felt the FOC slots-as-categories made for some imbalances in what you could submit for a contest, based on where something fell in it's codex. In this sense you'll see like vs like, which I feel is more appropriate.

The schedule is also none too rushed as well, meaning we can all (hopefully) work to it easier.

And mainly thanks for finally getting something moving in here again, I sincerely hope everyone gets back on board to get the contests (and the forum proper) firing again.

Cheers,
Temp
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

InsaneTD

Sounds like a good solid plan and hopefully I can get a couple entres in myself. :)

Thantos

Fully support opening up each contest to wider gamesystems and entries :D I need a motivater to get my old hairy stick out again (PAINTBRUSH of course, dunno what you were thinking!...) and entering a few of these sounds like as good a motivater as any! ;D

Hive Lord

Nice work Narric, looks good.

Thanks for getting this up and running again!

Narric

Narric

Need new Award Seals, so I've turned that itself into a contest. Rules thread has been posted :D

[edit]
Best add a link :P
http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=1020.0

GreaterGoodNewZealand

It looks good, Narric. It's not too rushed, and opened up to other game systems, which should (hopefully) get more people to enter.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Will's on Fire

Warmachine has the "medium base" infantry that are terminator sized.

I would say to consider a walker comp, that incorporated warmachine jacks, hordes beasts, and 40k walkers. Just because I don't think Terminators and Warjacks compare very well.

Also, I could certainly have a dig at getting entries into some of these. I have plenty of stuff on the go, but not done! :P

- Will

Narric

Thanks Will :D

That could be done either at the same time as the Heavy Infantry or closer to the Skymasters Contests.

Any more info about Warmachine would be great. Could you PM me any info that I can use?

Mabbz

Sounds good, but can we have some more non-painting contests? I vaguely remember a house rules contest one time, where we had to enter rules and background for a home made special character.

Narric

If you notice Mabbz, there is a lot of room for a contest or two like that. I've also already considered that contest.