News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Narric's Fourth Sphere Army - Project Log

Started by Narric, July 13, 2012, 10:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

I decided to start a new branch of my Tau army. It will hopefully be better suited for gaming, compared to my previous two. I've started with the base contents of a Tau Battleforce, and already have an army list of around 700pts. This is a great core for my army, and doesn't restrict me to a certain playstyle too early on.

So far I've only built my Commander, Stealth Suits, and converted some Pathfinders.

Here are the pics:

Commander

Stealth Suits

Pathfinders

I stoped at 5 Pathfinders, becuase I wanted the minimum needed for a squad, plus one to be my Rail Rifle holder. I could easily model another two, but this would leave my Fire Warriors at only 6 models.

Comments and Critism well appreciated. :D

Sorck

Is this based around the list that you posted the other day for making a 6th Edition Tau army from the Tau Battleforce?

Narric

Yes, it is based on the army list I wrote for 6th Edition Tau.

Narric

So far I've completed my first Fire Warrior squad. As seen here:

The shas'ui, given his own portion of the picture, was modeled by the soldier depicted on the case of Call of Duty MW3 (Defore anyone asks, I don't give a damn about that franchise). It was also my first attempt at hollowing out a Fire Warrior helmet to place on the hip.

On the back (not seen) I also managed to scratch a hand-held device, possily to represent a Markerlight/Blacksun filter/Multi-tracker. I was a pain to do, I can tell you.

Next was the Devilfish for my pathfinders:

Good lord I made a mistake on this, and I've built 6 Devilfish variants now. Whilst gluing the Engines together, thought I'd be smart and attach them to the 'fish for cool appearence. Oh gosh, do I wish I didn't do that. The tiny piece of plastic that normal keeps the engines on broke clean off, meaning I had to gue the right-side engine on permanently. because I'm a bit OCD about left/right equality, I had to do the same for the left-side. This bugger is going to be taking up a lot of space in my carry case in future.

Finally I started on the Kroot:

I had most fun with the shaper, who has his own pic, here:

I wanted something that actual made the model stand out. thankfully I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect (finished 1, playing through 2 with same save) so I was inspired by the appearence of Turians from that game. This shaper also has a hand-held device on his belt. But for Kroot, I'd think it more to be a communications device to recieve orders from the present Commander.

Welp, thats all for this Update.

Narric

Update the first.

Since Spoiler tags aren't quite working, I'll be posting two update in two posts. When the tags are working again, I'll see about haing the two posts merged.

After the last set was done, I deicded I would try and take advantage of the new "Allies" that have come in with the new rulebook.

Becuase I'm different,I opted for Imperial Guard, over the much favoured Eldar.
Why? : For that oh so excellent Anti-Flyer tank they have tucked into their Heavy Support.

So here is what I'm adding to my tau army, as an Allied Detachment:

Lord Commissar
Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Carapace Armour, Meltabombs
95pts

Guardsman Marbo
65pts

Imperial Guard Veteran Squad
Sergeant - Shotgun, Power Weapon
Squad - Shotguns, Grenadiers
3x Flamers
125pts
Dedicated Chimera
Turret Heavy Bolter
55pts

Hydra Flak Tank Battery
3x Hydras
290pts

To represent the Commissar and Marbo, I chose the "Crusaders" from the Sisters of Battle army range.

I wanted my Detachment to feel like it wasn't 100% Imperial, nor 100% Tau, so I avoided the Gue'vesa appearence. The Commissar and Marbo will be used to repressent "Radica" Inquisitors. Their motives are three-fold. Learning about different methods of controlling a populace, supplying the Imperium with data regarding the Tau fleet and military operations, and "using" the greater strength of firepower the Tau have, to wipe out heretical elements of the imperiam, in the Damocles Gulf region of the galaxy.

Their Second objective helps to explain the "Distrusted Alllies" ruling. Why would a Tau Commander give sensative information to a Human, let alone and Inquisitor.

"Guardsman Marbo" is a Underling, or Apprentice Inquisitor, under the "Lord Inquisitor." He has an uncanny ability to sneak around the battlefield, in a similar way to Marbo.

The Veteran Squads will be used for anti-cover, and possibly counter-charging enemy units.

Now onto modeling.

My Kroot unit is upto full strength:

And so are the Veterans:

The Devilfish for the Pathfinders is fully assembled:

I think thats enough for one update post. Onto the next.

Narric

Update the Second

The Mods are gonna kill me for this X|

Well I've also been getting the paints out. Here is what I had painted a few days ago. They're mostly colour concepts.

Then I started on a Fire Warrior:

In future I'll be sticking to a Black spray basecoat. I think I'm too used to it now. :(

Ofcourse, the above picture isn't that useful for figuring out the colour scheme of my Tau force. Here is a handy picture done with Bolter and Chainswords Fire Warrior painter.

I'll try and do more updates here, but its a trick becuase I'd rather update my Blog first, and thats set to a schedule.

As always, comments and critism are greatly appreciated. :D

Matt1785

Hrm, color scheme is hard to determine a feel for until I see some more painted models, although things look promising so far.  I have to say that I LOVE the Shas'ui of the unit, that is definitely something I'll be stealing!  I would imagine that I do have a bit of an uphill struggle ahead of me with cutting it hollow but it will be worth the work if it looks half as good.

As for your Guard contingent, might I suggest they have a different color scheme with subtle ties back to the Tau force?  Since you say you aren't going full on Gue, it would be more thematic IMHO if they were colored differently.  I like where you're going with the Radical Inquisitor idea, although teaming fully with Xenos might not be the most common taste it does seem somewhat plausible perhaps.  As for Marbo, perhaps he could be an Assassin linked to the Inquisitor?  Keep him as the Marbo rules but maybe call it a Calidus Assassin?  I don't know.

Liking what I'm seeing so far, and it's nice to see some flavor with the allies.

Narric

Sorry for the lack of update, and sorry for not having anything right now to show you.

However, I do have the HQ model for a secondary Allied detachment of Space Marines, using the Black Templar Codex.

Here he is :D

This is Marshall Novan. He is the current Captain equivalent of the [Unknown - All records lost following the Horus Heresy] of the [Unknown - All records lost following the Horus Heresy] Chapter. Upon discovering a fearsome secret about his Chapter, he has allied himself with a Tau Expedition force, in the hopes of righting a great wrong or die in hopes to discover the truth.

Backstory aside, this was my first attempt at sculpting a cloak completely from scratch. I think I did well on it.

Thantos

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on July 30, 2012, 03:30:59 PM
The Mods are gonna kill me for this X|

:P

Looking great. +1 karma for continued progress ;D

Like the IG vets especially, some unique poses there. Needs more female tau in your firewarrior squads ;););) Good luck with the army! Ill be keeping an eye on this one

Narric

I also have a small unit of "Crusaders" to go along with my new Marshall.

Modeled in armour reminiscent of Mk1 Thunder Armour. I have already changed the far right marine's weapon to a more Boltgun-looking choice. Unfortunately broke his hand, and now he has a random circular pouch on his behind :P The "Sergeant" is holding a Power Axe, in case anyone was wondering.

This composite photo was taken with my new Nikon D60 with Macro Lens attachment. I'm thinking my models are going to be photgraphed far more clearly then before.

Not much more to update on.

I'm slowly painting through the army. I'll probably try and get the Stealth Suits finished for the "Elites" contest.

For those interested in my plans for the Space Marine Allied Detachment, I'm using the Black Templar Codex as my frameowrk. Its fits better with the fluff I have oin mind (which I still need to write at some point)

The Space Marine Allies will be used as Elite Harassment. So they'll be well equiped (not really being stingy with points on them) but low in number (making sure my Allies don't consume more points then the rest of my army).

My current collection/Army List for them is as follows:
HQ
Marshall Novan
Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Adamantium Mantle, Artificer Armour
180pts

Troops
Crusader Squad (10)
5x Initiates, 5x Neophytes
Crusader Seals, 1x Power Axe
150pts

Total = 330pts

The Neophytes/Scouts are going to be my next addition. After that, I'll plan to bulk out the squad with more Initiates, with more minis from Anvil. With them, I may add a Special Weapon, possibly a Flamer, or Meltagun.

I'll need a Transport, and my first inclination is a Land Raider, simply becuase I have yet to actually purchase/build/paint/field one at all.

Narric

Haven't yet had a chance to take an decent photos recently, but both my Main Tau army and my Space Marine Detachment have had a great deal of work done to them.

Near all my Space Marines have, at minimum, the Chapters Primary colour, and only a few Fire Warriors remain only basecoated.

I've also had a few games with the 6th ed Rulebook, andhave made tweaks to my planned army list.

I'll try to get some pictures up soonish.

Narric

Well, I had an awesome idea for a Tau Commander, but without being able to buy a new XV8, I had to cannibalise an older suit. Needless to say, I've come a long way from my first few Battlesuits.

The Following suit is going to be used as my Commander for my Tau Army. He is equipped with a Airbursting Frag Projector (Launcher sounds cooler to me, oh and I built the AFP from scratch), and Twin-linked Missile Pod. The head was just to make him look fancy :P

Spoiler

I think he is the first model I have made in such a "Dynamic" pose. He is pinned twice, once in the right foot and, more obviously, in the chest. Though he "floats" relatively well without the chest pinning, it makes me feel more comfortable handling him with the additional support.

I can't wait to take him in a game (still playing 600pts) to see how effective he really is, but so far as a Know, the AFP/Twin MP is a pretty strong build. It may not be the most well known, or used, but I think its strong.

His stength lies in being able to take out both Infantry and Light Tanks out with relative ease. The AFP is a Pie Plate dropping weapon, whilst the Missile Pods are the anti-tank.

One thing I wonder is how he will change as and when Tau get updated. Will the AFP or a similar weapon system even still exist, or will it just be tweaked? Who knows

Chris

Wow! I love that commander! How do you manage to make the legs posable like that?

As for the army in a whole, its very nice. I like the idea of the IG allies... I think the Black templars one could use a bit more fleshing out from the fluff... Perhaps you could have them go all necron on the Tau?

From one BT user to another, don't forget the Emperor's Chimpion. Compulsary in over 750pts, but at points below is optional. In small pointed games, he is very good. a S6 powersword with wicked WS is nothing to be sniffed at! Not to mention some of his Vows....

I look forward to following this with interest!