News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

[SoB][SW] Allying SoBs to Space Wolves

Started by Masked Thespian, July 14, 2012, 06:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masked Thespian

So, a thought I've had for a long time is to have a unit of Seraphim in a Space Wolf army as a reference to the Valkyries of legend, but since Codex: Witch Hunters was rotated out of use, that's pretty much been an impossibility (without opponent's permission).  However, with the new rulebook, allies are a viable option without needing an opponent's permission.

But there are two main issues with the new rules, as far as I'm concerned.  Firstly, it would require me to have a Sisters of Battle HQ and Troops choice before I could take my squad of Seraphim (diluting both the concept of just having winged female warriors as well as the points available to my main army, Space Wolves).  And secondly, I'm concerned at how effective a single unit of Seraphim (plus associated units) would actually be.

In terms of rules advantages, the fact that there would only be two or three units to make use of Faith Points, reducing the traditional reliance in SoB armies on Uriah Jacobus for the Faith Points reroll, makes Faith a much more useful resource.  But, of course, there would only be a single Act of Faith that the Seraphim themselves can use.

For the HQ, there are two choices, only one of which is really palatable; Celestine.  I'd love to take a Canoness, but they no longer have the option for Jump Packs to join the Seraphim, making her more than a little useless for the concept.

In terms of Troops, there's only one choice; a Battle Sister Squad.  Compared to Grey Hunters and Blood Claws, they're cheaper but much squishier.  However, they do provide some nice mid-to-close range support fire, which is where a Space Wolves army tends to operate.

The Seraphim themselves have a number of options including twin Hand Flamers, twin Inferno Pistols, and a Power Weapon or Eviscerator on the Seraphim Superior.  Sadly, their Seraphim Pistols rule is redundant with the new rules on dual pistols, but they have Hit and Run to help them escape from combats they don't want to be in, and, like the Battle Sister squad, give close range firepower where needed.

In terms of background, I'm not sure how easily it would be to incorporate SoBs on a somewhat permanent basis into a Space Wolf army.  The background of my particular army is that they are an elite corps of spacefarers whom are often at the forefront of naval boarding actions (though also operating under normal circumstances).  The army is supposed to be designed to act well under the Boarding Action/Zone Mortalis rules from Forgeworld, with additional things to help them act well in normal engagements too.

Basically, I'm looking for ideas as to how well this will work (on the tabletop) as well as how to incorporate such units into my army's background.  Advice on both parts would be appreciated.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

KCKitsune

Nothing says that your Sister troop squads have to be full sized...
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

DEF Knight

If you're going for the Valkyrie angle then Celestine is only natural. Given you can only bring one unit if seraphim they'll want the extra punch, and as both a bullet sponge to keep them alive and as a symbol of life and rebirth in addition to warrior women you could do much worse than Celestine.

I would go flamer pistols for a couple of reasons. One it synergizes well with seraphim and Celestine (more flamers and anti-horde), and two it's a far superior overwatch option if you want hit and run shenanigans.

As for troops it's a little unfortunate to be stuck with those sisters. They're good troops and all, but they WOULD be hard to fit in thematically. There's plenty of room for fluffy reasons why you'd have some sisters around, but might you consider something to the effect of "space wolf boarding party was saved by a timely seraphim intervention and took it as a near religious experience, now they all swear the girls are their own personal Valkyries and follow them to battle/have pledged to aid them" or if you think that subordinates your wolves too much "the wolves move to protect a beleagured shrine world. In the fighting many come to revere the seraphim as Valkyries. After the fighting is done the ecclesiarchy owes a debt to your wolf lord, who takes a pledge of sororitas armed support because he either feels the same way about the seraphim, or wants to keep them around to continue inspiring his men"

Zeeblee

You could try to remodel the standard Sisters to look like they're in Space Wolf attire and treat them as Gaul warrior women.

As for how to outfit the Sisters/Seraphim, I would built them in accordance with the rest of your army.  Are you missing close-range tank popping?  Inferno pistols/melta.  Are you missing anti-horde/objecive clearing?  Flamers (and/or heavy).

Charistoph

Don't forget the new Gunsliger rule for Pistols...
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Chicop76

I think it would be a great ideal. All you really have to do is put Thor hats on your sisters really and find yourself some winged horses. To be honest any sister element would be fluffy. St. Celestine really isn't a must though unless she was on a winged horse, but I think it would still be a good ideal to use her though.

You could use some ladies on winged horses as Celestine/ Seraphim. I think a regular warhammer horse with Griffon wings would be cool. You can get pegasi models, or multiple Peagases models and work from there.